• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

@MelissaH I think these cookies might be called sugar cookies. Do you call them sugar cookies because they are then glazed? Eh, eh, I admit, I'm still lacking in my proper English/American baking vocabulary :). I guess these cookies would be very nice glazed. I made them simple for the kids, I need some of them to use in another dessert, hopefully I'll post in a few days. I llike them like this, unglazed,  with no extra flavoring.

500 g flour, 150 g sugar, 100g soft butter, 8 g (2 scant tsp) ammonium carbonate, 2 eggs plus 1 yolk, 2 tablespoon scalded milk, a pinch of salt.

Make a well in  the sifted flour  and in the center work the softened butter, the sugar, with the eggs, plus yolk, add a pinch of salt. Dissolve the baking ammonia in the scalded milk and add to the rest of the ingredients. If necessary just add a drop more of milk and work briely until the dough just holds together. Roll to 3 mm (1/8 inch) and cut into preferred shapes. Brush with egg white, left over from the dough, and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350, then rotate the trays and keep the door ajar so the ammonium can escape and keep baking for other 8-10 minutes. Total baking time 16-20 minutes. I didn't count the cookies but baked 4 half sheet pans. They keep for long time too. 

Franci

Franci

@MelissaH I think these cookies might be called sugar cookies. Do you call them sugar cookies because they are then glazed? Eh, eh, I admit, I'm still lacking in my proper English/American baking vocabulary :). I guess these cookies would be very nice glazed. I made them simple for the kids, I need some of them to use in another dessert, hopefully I'll post in a few days. I llike them like this, unglazed,  with no extra flavoring.

500 g flour, 150 g sugar, 100g soft butter, 8 g (2 scant tsp) ammonium carbonate, 2 eggs plus 1 yolk, 2 tablespoon scalded milk, a pinch of salt.

Make a well in  the sifted flour  and in the center work the softened butter, the sugar, with the eggs, plus yolk, add a pinch of salt. Dissolve the baking ammonia in the scalded milk and add to the rest of the ingredients. If necessary just add a drop more of milk and work briely until the dough just holds together. Roll to 3 mm (1/8 inch) and cut into preferred shapes. Brush with egg white, left over from the dough, and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350, then rotate the trays and keep the door ajar so the ammonium can escape and keep baking for other 8-10. Total baking time 16-20 minutes. I didn't count the cookies but baked 4 half sheet pans. They keep for long time too. 

Franci

Franci

Make a well in  the sifted flour  and in the center work the softened butter, the sugar, with the eggs, plus yolk, add a pinch of salt. Dissolve the baking ammonia in the scalded milk and add to the rest of the ingredients. If necessary just add a drop more of milk and work briely until the dough just holds together. Roll to 3 mm (1/8 inch). Brush with egg white, left over from the dough, and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350, then rotate the trays and keep the door ajar so the ammonium can escape and keep baking for other 8-10. Total baking time 16-20 minutes. I didn't count the cookies but baked 4 half sheet pans. They keep for long time too. 

Franci

Franci

@MelissaH I think these cookies might be called sugar cookies. Do you call them sugar cookies because they are then glazed? Eh, eh, I admit, I'm still lacking in my proper English/American baking vocabulary :). I guess these cookies would be very nice glazed. I made them simple for the kids, I need some them to use in another dessert, hopefully I'll post in a few days. I llike them like this, unglazed,  with no extra flavoring.

Make a well in  the sifted flour  and in the center work the softened butter, the sugar, with the eggs, plus yolk, add a pinch of salt. Dissolve the baking ammonia in the scalded milk and add to the rest of the ingredients. If necessary just add a drop more of milk and work briely until the dough just holds together. Roll to 3 mm (1/8 inch). Brush with egg white, left over from the dough, and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350, then rotate the trays and keep the door ajar so the ammonium can escape and keep baking for other 8-10. Total baking time 16-20 minutes. I didn't count the cookies but baked 4 half sheet pans. They keep for long time too.