• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cakewalk

cakewalk

Recipe update

Well, that's Marcy Goldman's website, so who am I to argue? But that looks like a revamped recipe, not the one that came out years ago. Coca cola? That's new. The older recipe had 1 cup of coffee, she's changed it to 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup coke. I've always used the recipe as it appears on Epicurious from years back. It's pretty similar, I think the coke is the only change. I use buckwheat honey, it makes a big difference, and whiskey. Despite what she says about mixing a thick batter, be aware that this batter is so thin you can almost drink it. The first time I tried to make it in an angel food pan, but it seeped out the bottom almost immediately. I see now she suggests parchment paper in the angel food pan, but that was not in the original recipe. I grind fresh spices for this cake (cloves and allspice), and I also add about 1/2 tsp each of fresh ground nutmeg and ground ginger. The baked cake really needs to sit overnight for the flavors to shine. The only other thing I can say is, there's a lot of leavening and the cake rises alot. I would normally fill a loaf pan about 2/3 to 3/4 full. With this cake, I fill it just a bit more than half way, I've had it overflow on me otherwise. Also, it's nice with sliced almonds, I just forgot this time. Good luck and Shana Tova.

And the eggs: original recipe has 3 eggs, not 4. Here's the link to the one I make:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/majestic-and-moist-new-years-honey-cake-350153

cakewalk

cakewalk

Well, that's Marcy Goldman's website, so who am I to argue? But that looks like a revamped recipe, not the one that came out years ago. Coca cola? That's new. The older recipe had 1 cup of coffee, she's changed it to 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup coke. I've always used the recipe as it appears on Epicurious from years back. It's pretty similar, I think the coke is the only change. I use buckwheat honey, it makes a big difference, and whiskey. Despite what she says about mixing a thick batter, be aware that this batter is so thin you can almost drink it. The first time I tried to make it in an angel food pan, but it seeped out the bottom almost immediately. I see now she suggests parchment paper in the angel food pan, but that was not in the original recipe. I grind fresh spices for this cake (cloves and allspice), and I also add about 1/2 tsp each of fresh ground nutmeg and ground ginger. The baked cake really needs to sit overnight for the flavors to shine. The only other thing I can say is, there's a lot of leavening and the cake rises alot. I would normally fill a loaf pan about 2/3 to 3/4 full. With this cake, I fill it just a bit more than half way, I've had it overflow on me otherwise. Also, it's nice with sliced almonds, I just forgot this time. Good luck and Shana Tova.