• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lake House - Daylesford

Daylesford is a spa town about 100 km west of Melbourne.

It's popular on the weekends as a getaway from the city, here's the Lake House details  https://shar.es/1ZMmRc

The ninth of August is my mothers birthday. This year she turned 94, and of course, every birthday after 90 is a special one, so  I made the 2000 km trek to Victoria. My sister joined us. 

I had a starter of oxtail and bone marrow tortellini with Jerusalem artichoke custard, veal and sherry consommé and truffled brioche.

image.jpeg

Here's some local olives, crusty bread and Parmesan sticks.

image.jpeg

Here's a salad, plus Brussels sprouts with bacon and chestnuts. We ordered this as a side, mum said she didn't like them. So why did she make us eat them as children ? Oh, that's what you do apparently.

image.jpeg

Followed by by pine needle smoked, roast truffled quail with polenta, pumpkin and local forest mushrooms.

image.jpeg

Mum wolfed down an amazing dessert before I had time to photograph it.

Then came petit fours and coffee.

image.jpeg

The cost for three people, two courses and one glass of wine each was AUD $344. 

A special occasion venue with an ever changing seasonal menu. 

Roll on 95....

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Nice!  Happy Birthday to Sartoric's mum!

Along with the food, I love that dish in the olive picture--the polka dot one :) 

They were available to purchase AUD $72 for two, I declined. Very pretty though :)

• Like 2