• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Salmon

lindag

I'd been wanting to pick up some smoked salmon so when I was at Costco last week I grabbed a package of their Norwegian salmon.  It was not what I expected.  I don't much like the texture which feels a little slimy.

Also the flavor isn't what I expected either.

We used to have a friend (a Seattle-ite) who made his own SS that was really, really wonderful and that's what I was looking for.  We also used to be gifted with packs of it at Christmastime that was also quite good. 

Now I'm wondering what to do with this salmon that I have (in a Costco size quantity).

I'd love suggestions.  I'd also love to know where I can get some good smoked salmon.

We always made sort of a Eggs Benedict with it.  Eggs Salmondine. Instead of the bacon, use slices of salmon. English muffin, slice of salmon, poached egg, hollandaise sauce. It sort of covers up some of the taste of the salmon, if you don't care for it. Or cut it in bits and mix it in a dip. use it in scrambled eggs.

Or send it to me!  LOL

Return it to Costco..

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In my experience, salmon that is cured but not smoked (gravlax or lox) is often erroneously labeled "smoked salmon" -- is that what you got? If you're used to smoked salmon from Seattle, most salmon there is hot-smoked, which is an entirely different product. If you can't return what you bought, you might look for recipes that call for lox and see if you can use it in those.

• Like 1

As JAZ asked above, are we talking about lox-style salmon or true smoked salmon?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

20 hours ago, JAZ said:

In my experience, salmon that is cured but not smoked (gravlax or lox) is often erroneously labeled "smoked salmon" -- is that what you got? If you're used to smoked salmon from Seattle, most salmon there is hot-smoked, which is an entirely different product. If you can't return what you bought, you might look for recipes that call for lox and see if you can use it in those.

Jaz, I think you're absolutely right!  it does not have any smoky flavor at all that I can distinguish.  And the friend's smoked salmon was completely different; it was thicker and darker in color with a definite smoky taste.

I'm so disappointed.  I suppose for $20 I should return it to Costco, I don't see how I can eat it.

13 hours ago, lindag said:

Jaz, I think you're absolutely right!  it does not have any smoky flavor at all that I can distinguish.  And the friend's smoked salmon was completely different; it was thicker and darker in color with a definite smoky taste.

I'm so disappointed.  I suppose for $20 I should return it to Costco, I don't see how I can eat it.

Sounds like what we call Indian Candy - I make the mine based on the recipe that Minnie, who lived with my granny in Cowichan Bay, gave to me. Pretty sure I've posted it here before but feel free to PM me for the formula if you want to try 'smoking your own'.

I was at Costco yesterday and had a look at their smoked Norwegian salmon.  Was yours labeled as "steelhead salmon"?  If it was, it does state that it is smoked over alder wood which is what I used to use when I smoked my own salmon.  Just wondering, as i'm curious as it whether it was actually smoked or if it is lox.