• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery Ingredients

liuzhou

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

#1 Dried intestines.

No. It is vegetable.

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Photo number one reminds me of what my orchids air roots look like when they dry out. Is it dried air roots?

Not air roots, either

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Number 1 reminds my an awful lot of what the poor, dead vines of my winter squash plants look like after the squash vine borers got through with them. But i won't even put those in my compost much less in my kitchen! So, not.

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

#3 looks very similar to the dried lemongrass sold in the SE Asian market here in long bunches. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oh dear!

Someone has got the correct answer for one of the pictures, but applied that answer to the wrong picture.

I'm not saying who just yet. :B

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

#3 looks very similar to the dried lemongrass sold in the SE Asian market here in long bunches. 

Not lemongrass, no.

• Like 1

OK - i really think that number 1 is the dried long beans . (I would not have gotten this without the hints.:P) (With the hints I can actually see it. It does resemble the dried beans in my garden that I need to pull and shuck.) So I am probably wrong?

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

58 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

OK - i really think that number 1 is the dried long beans . (I would not have gotten this without the hints.:P) (With the hints I can actually see it. It does resemble the dried beans in my garden that I need to pull and shuck.) So I am probably wrong?

Is #1 long beans?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caroled said:

#1 Dried Daikon?

7 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

#3 -dried long beans? (Chinese restaurants here call the long green beans 'long beans'.)

OK. Time to put you out of your mystery misery. I was amused by these two answers this morning. If only you had swapped answers (or numbers).

Number 1. is indeed dried long beans.

Number 3. is indeed dried daikon radish.

As I think I said, I wouldn't have got number 1, either if I didn't have the seller to ask. Number 3, I did know.

Roll on Number 4.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Barbie's hula skirt is made from daikon? :o xD

I'm looking forward to seeing what you will make out of these unfamiliar ingredients, and No. 4. This thread has been a lot of fun!

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure when I will get round to using them. Still the height of summer and dried goods don't figure much in my plans. But when I do, I'll probably post them.

As to Number 4. I hope someone else will put up a puzzler, so I get to play too, but in the meantime I am thinking of one item. I don't want to put up ridiculously obscure ingredients which only grow on one mountain top in deepest China. No point in that. Instead I am looking for things which people are likely to be familiar - such as beans, chili peppers and even daikon - but which appear in unusual ways or varieties.

So, how about this? Maybe easy to guess the underlying main ingredient, but what has been done to it? No Google image comparison searches allowed. I have posted this on the internet before.

No. It isn't something the dog left behind.

Number 4.jpg

Number 4

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

I was not around but I had an idea it was dried beans. Took this photo in Zhaoxing, a nice little village surrounded by rice terraces. Dong people in Zhaoxing hang all kinds of vegs outside to dry.

Zhaoxing. Know it well, but haven't been for about 18 years.

Yes. The ethnic minority people of Guizhou, Hunan and Guizhou, among others, are renowned for their drying pretty much everything. The daikon in Number 3 is from western Hunan not far from Zhaoxing.

I had seen the dried beans many times before, but never before knotted so intricately into these pillows.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No Google image comparison searches allowed. I have posted this on the internet before.

Rats! I was looking for another laugh, but if you have posted about it before, it would be cheating, because it might accidentally work.  :) That is the only area where the image identification software seems to work, when it has an identical image to locate. I believe a plagiarizer was was outed here with the software.

So I won't even try it, even though, again, I have no clue.

Smoked sausages, dried peppers or thousand year old cucumbers?

> ^ . . ^ <

1 minute ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Rats! I was looking for another laugh, but if you have posted about it before, it would be cheating, because it might accidentally work.  :) That is the only area where the image identification software seems to work, when it has an identical image to locate. I believe a plagiarizer was was outed here with the software.

So I won't even try it, even though, again, I have no clue.

Smoked sausages, dried peppers or thousand year old cucumbers?

You are on the right track, but also on some roads to ruin!

• Like 1

Beautiful plate underneath #4, btw.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Beautiful plate underneath #4, btw.

It is indeed a beautiful plate, and now that it's no longer cheating I asked Mr. Google what he thought liuzhou's image was. It did not pick up on the seemingly identical photo from his blog, so was good for another laugh. Yeah, a LOT more time at the drawing board. I do love the ability to look up unfamiliar ingredients or plants by name and being able to peruse hundreds of images of them. That aspect has been so helpful to me.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <