• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery Ingredients

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

It is the plant that grass jelly drink is made from? (not certain what to call it...grass, or, grass jelly grass?)

What you are thinking of is Platostoma palustre, but no it isn't that.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What you are thinking of is Platostoma palustre, but no it isn't that.

Thank you! I am trying to not cheat at this, so, my reply was directly off the top of my head -no internet searching. Ok, back to wondering what...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Dried stems of some sort? They look like beet stems to me, but I certainly don't have beets pop to mind when I think about Chinese veggies.

Not stems of anything.

I have never seen beets in China.

• Like 1

Looks like someone ran over a sea urchin.

• Like 8

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Bun rice noodles? I've found some black ones digging around online, they look similar but the way yours are laid out makes it a little hard to compare length, etc. I should add I think they are Vietnamese...

Edited by Yiannos (log)

27 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Bun rice noodles? I've found some black ones digging around online, they look similar but the way yours are laid out makes it a little hard to compare length, etc. I should add I think they are Vietnamese...

They are not Vietnamese and no rice is involved. The way they are laid out is exactly how they came from their packaging.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)

fungus, like wood ears?

The color is very much like wild rice, but, I have never seen anyone make noodles out of it. I was thinking maybe forbidden black rice, but, you said no rice...

(the good news here is that your post has me thinking about black foods, and expanding my thoughts for a Halloween dinner!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

fungus, like wood ears?

The color is very much like wild rice, but, I have never seen anyone make noodles out of it. I was thinking maybe forbidden black rice, but, you said no rice...

(the good news here is that your post has me thinking about black foods, and expanding my thoughts for a Halloween dinner!)

Another interesting idea but no fungus (and no rice).

Anyway, glad my post had some use apart from frustrating everyone! I'll give it until tomorrow then reveal all, if no one gets it before then.

• Like 1

I got a basket of unusual Asian foods a few years ago. Had to look up my thank-you note.

It included a package of black buckwheat/ bitter melon noodles.  The package had no English printed on it,

there was a sticker with the information in English. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I got a basket of unusual Asian foods a few years ago. Had to look up my thank-you note.

It included a package of black buckwheat/ bitter melon noodles.  The package had no English printed on it,

there was a sticker with the information in English. 

Buckwheat noodles are very common and can be dark in colour, but that's not what we have here.

2 hours ago, shar999 said:

Dried Black Moss?

We've already established that they are noodles of some sort.

I don't remember having seen those in China, or HongKong the many times I was there. Not in the very large mega-Chinese stores in NY or in Canada either. 

Those may not be Chinese noodles. But China is a big place I can't say I have seen everything.

I can't figure out why they are so short, and packaged that way. Doesn't look like they are made by machine.

Interesting.

dcarch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Those may not be Chinese noodles. But China is a big place I can't say I have seen everything.

I can't figure out why they are so short, and packaged that way. Doesn't look like they are made by machine.

Interesting.

dcarch

They are certainly Chinese.  How can you tell how short they are from a photograph which has nothing to give you scale?

Edited by liuzhou (log)