• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Twinkies

suzilightning

Just was watching the news and they reported that Walmart will be selling those state fair food favorites for the next few months:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/08/12/hostess-deep-fried-twinkies-treats-frozen-food-section/88606496/

OK someone from MN has to do a side by side comparison......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Just was watching the news and they reported that Walmart will be selling those state fair food favorites for the next few months:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/08/12/hostess-deep-fried-twinkies-treats-frozen-food-section/88606496/

OK someone from MN has to do a side by side comparison......

suzi,

We got the same Associated Press update here, and I had read nothing except the headline until you mentioned it too. It's not something I think would be worth the calories. More power to those who like this new product though, I can't really believe it would be as good as the freshly fried product one can get at the fair. That might? be worth the empty calories? Apparently the brand has cleaned up the trans fat, so that is very good.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 months later...

Bought them, tried them. I took one bite, started to chew, then sent it and the rest of the Twinkie to the trash can. These were the chocolate creme ones, they coat these in some kind of crispy crumb stuff. They tasted like they were going rancid and the texture was horrifying. Battered and deep fried Twinkies are awesome, these were sad, bad, and a waste of tastebuds.

• Like 3