• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Size Storage Container Do I Need ...

Shel_B

Rubbermaid makes containers designed for those bag sizes. I like them because they're rectangular and store well in cabinets, and are easier to find in stores than Cambro.  One disadvantage to the long and narrow footprint is that scooping out of it without making a mess takes practice. 

I think the 16-cup Modular Storage Containerir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B003BKK38 is the size you need. The store label says, but this image doesn't.   

Edit: Sorry, I just reread your question. I transfer the contents from the bag into the container.  I don't think these are bag-shaped enough.  My bad.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• In the bag, I'd say a 6 quart with the red lid.  I don't recall whether my flour is in a 6 or 8 quart square, whichever it is holds about 10# of flour out of the bag.   The 8 qt holds 12-1/2 pound of sugar (I get 25# bags and divide it into two cambros).

Don't know if this will help, or not, as I usually dump from bag to container, too, but a gallon pickle jar holds 5 pounds of flour. (Source: my mother did this, so I do, too.)

• Like 2

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I use Cambro purchased from KAF.  I have six in the bedroom for different types of flour.  (Actually, in truth, one is currently repurposed for trehalose.)  The smallest size KAF offers would easily hold 5 pounds of flour in the bag, though I dump my bags out into the container.  Why make extra work?

Yes I know Cambro might be less expensive from other suppliers but Cambro makes so many products that I am afraid of ordering the wrong thing.  The KAF Cambro flour buckets have lasted me twenty years, give or take, and they are still going strong.  And they've never suffered an infestation.

Edit:  from memory I think they are sized for 5, 10, or twenty pounds.  Or something like that.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou