• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best new product

lindag

Saw this in use of America's Test Kitchen and thought it the best tool ever.

It is so handy for any kind of jar.  The paddle is just flexible to be able to scrape out anything but not so soft as to fold over.

I had to buy both the skinny and the mini! 

Not to Andie!  You must have one of these!

Edited by lindag (log)

Wow! $20+ USD for a spatula. Does it do windows?:D.  But thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is a less expensive version of the same thing, that I think has a better shape:

iSi Basics Skinny Silicone Spatulair?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B000S171G

I posted about it last fall.  It's my go-to spatula for batters, jars, mixing bread ingredients. I found it in one of our local kitchen stores - and later went back for more of the same - but the link goes to Amazon's offering.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think this is a better (and less expensive) version of the same thing:

I posted about it some time ago.  It's my go-to spatula for batters, jars, mixing bread ingredients.

I bought this one when @Smithy recommended it and it is indeed a keeper. 

A new-to-me gadget is the wide-mouth canning funnel.  I never thought I did enough preserving to warrant the purchase of specialized gear but after another round of painfully cleaning jar tops before sealing, I picked one up at Target.  I use that danged thing all the time for transferring dry goods of all sorts from one container to another, etc.  I'm sure any sort of wide-mouth funnel would be equally useful.  I've only had skinnier ones for liquids.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

What?!

Yes, $15 for a minty Super 3600 at a grange sale.  The seller was tired of it cluttering her counter, so I owed it to her to take it off her hands.  I probably could have dickered her to $10, but that would've been so wrong...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I bought one here in China, and which looks as near identical as you can get. It cost me less than a dollar.

A blender or a spatula?

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

While I agree with the original poster's conclusions about the overall design (unibody construction, silicone based), I would be interested to know what makes these different from the many similar offerings on the market. These look remarkable similar to some Core Kitchen branded spatulas that are regularly available at TJ Maxx/Homegoods/Marshalls and Tuesday Morning for under $4. I have been very happy with both the spatula and spoon/spatula styles that I've purchased and can't imagine what the above spatulas could do to justify the price premium.

That said, I grant that not all silicone based spatulas are equal. I have a handful from different manufacturers and find some stiffer than others. While good for some things, in general I prefer the more flexible style with a rigid internal structure.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EMichels said:

I would be interested to know what makes these different from the many similar offerings on the market

I find most value judgements to be very individual and subjective but if one wishes to pay to read the Cooks Illustrated article on these jar spatulas, one can see they tested a bunch of similar offerings and found some too long, too short, too rigid, too flimsy, with handles that separated or were too slippery, some were good for jar corners but not sides and the reverse and some were permanently discolored by red sauce - one reason to buy red ones xD!  

Sadly, they didn't test the brand that you mentioned but I think it pretty much covers what factors differentiate the many similar offerings.  

I'll also note that when the article was published (March 2015), the top rated jar spatula that @lindag mentioned was $12.95.  A $5.95 OXO model and the iSi Basics model ($11.20) were also highly recommended.  

• Like 1

Thanks blue_dolphin. Many of America's Test Kitchen product reviews are available on YouTube. I wasn't able to find that March 2015 review (perhaps it was not filmed but merely included in the magazine) but I did find a 2015 Top 10 Holiday Gift Ideas clip from the Test Kitchen that included the GIR jar spatula (linked below). It appears that the reasons that they recommended it were the same reasons that I like my Core Kitchen spatulas better than some others. I can see how specific sizes and shapes could be preferable for certain tasks and the fact that GIR offers four sizes could help in finding the preferred size, though it would still have to be able to twist in some pretty incredible ways before I could get from $4 to $22! That said, ATK does note that they paid $12.95, which is not so far off of typical retail prices for such things in a full retail markup environment and, at that price, this does appear superior to many other offerings available in a similar environment.

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Here is a less expensive version of the same thing, that I think has a better shape:

I posted about it last fall.  It's my go-to spatula for batters, jars, mixing bread ingredients. I found it in one of our local kitchen stores - and later went back for more of the same - but the link goes to Amazon's offering.

This looks like it may be a good addition to my spatula collection.  How wide is the head?  Thanks!

BTW, there's a white version of the spatula and related tools available for a little less money.

... Shel

3 hours ago, Shel_B said:

This looks like it may be a good addition to my spatula collection.  How wide is the head?  Thanks!

BTW, there's a white version of the spatula and related tools available for a little less money.

I spotted the white version on Amazon. I've never seen it in our local stores.

The blade is not quite 1-3/8" wide.  The long edge, which juts out 7/8" from the spine, is 3-1/2" long and has a rounded corner to accommodate interiors such as those of mayonnaise jars.  The shorter edge is only 1/2" from the center and 2-3/4" long.  It has a much sharper corner, more suited to smaller jars with sharper interior corners. I'll post a photo or sketch if this description doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

The blade is not quite 1-3/8" wide.  The long edge, which juts out 7/8" from the spine, is 3-1/2" long and has a rounded corner to accommodate interiors such as those of mayonnaise jars.  The shorter edge is only 1/2" from the center and 2-3/4" long.  It has a much sharper corner, more suited to smaller jars with sharper interior corners. I'll post a photo or sketch if this description doesn't make sense.

Makes perfect sense ... thanks!

• Like 1

... Shel

Giving some thought to the material used in these spatulas, I decided to refresh my memory about silicone that contains certain adulterants and came across this site - http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/is_silicone_a_plastic#.V7BcKxL2ZrQ.

There's a lot of info at the site that some here may find useful.  One item is a method for determining if a product is pure silicone, as opposed to adulterated silicone.  Do the spatulas mentioned in this thread pass this test?  

If you are going to use silicone, be sure it is high quality, food grade silicone and does not contain any fillers.

To test a product for fillers you can pinch and twist a flat surface of it to see if any white shows through. If so, a filler likely

has been used. As a result, the product may not be uniformly heat resistant and may impart an odor to food. But most

importantly, you will have no idea what the filler is and it may leach unknown chemicals into the food. For all you know,

the filler may be a silicone of low quality or not silicone at all.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed, iSi makes high quality stuff but that spatula is red.

iSi also makes it in WHITE, and WASABI. It's good to 600°F and passes that twist test. I have one I use around the kitchen and one I use for sugar work.

Edited by Lisa Shock
bad coode (log)
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2016 at 10:25 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a GIR Ultimate in orange.  Why anyone would ever want a red spatula is beyond me.

To match your shoes:B

Until today I did not know that "bacon" and "wasabi" were colors....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveb said:

To match your shoes:B

Until today I did not know that "bacon" and "wasabi" were colors....

Red spatulas are just so much faster.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog