• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Samsung Buys Dacor

Toliver

"Samsung buys luxury appliance brand Dacor"

Samsung Electronics America will buy Dacor, a company that manufacturers luxury kitchen appliances, Samsung announced Wednesday. 
The acquisition reflects Samsung's continued investment in large home appliances and an interest in the high-end appliance market, where products like ranges and refrigerators carry price tags that reach into five figures. 

Smart high-end kitchen appliances seem to be the future of that industry.

Does anyone on this board own a smart appliance?

And is this a good thing or a bad thing? 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We looked at a smart refrigerator when we bought a new one last year but decided we couldn't see the point. It just seems to be something it jacks up the price considerably with no real advantage. It may sound cool to say you have a smart refrigerator but at least at this point in time there are only smart because they have a small computer built in with a screen on the front. I think some of them have a barcode scanner but you can do the same thing with your phone and have the ability to take it with you.

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I have a smart fridge. When I open the door, the light goes on. When I close the door, the light goes off, I think. Whenever I want something to eat, it's right there -- exactly where it was the last time!

• Like 8

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

I have a smart fridge. When I open the door, the light goes on. When I close the door, the light goes off, I think. Whenever I want something to eat, it's right there -- exactly where it was the last time!

:ph34r:  I think we have the same fridge

• Like 2

That's the thing about smart stuff. Being "smart" doesn't mean being better. I don't need to have a fridge that I can access remotely.

Engineers over-engineer to the point of being unworkable or a PITA (look at digital cameras). Marketers seize on pointless "advantages" to sell product.

• Like 1

As we know, it has been shown that millions of smart cars can easily be hacked.

Imaging what can happen. People in North Korea can shutdown your refrigerator and extort you to pay a ransom.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 4

no Infared videocamera inside so you can see ' live ' what the Mayo jar is doing while it thinks no one is watching ?

I though ' smart ' these days had to have live video, perf. HD.

some ovens have that. i told.

""   The acquisition reflects Samsung's continued investment in large home appliances and an interest in the high-end appliance market, where products like ranges and refrigerators carry price tags that reach into five figures. ""

but alas, No Steam.  Smart steam, dumb steam.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Toliver

re your initial question :  the BVXL  is said to be ' Smart'  

it makes crummy  toast.  o.O

so there is  that .

But other than toast.... You have to give it credit  for being smart enough to accommodate a quarter sheet pan. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh I can just hear my smart refrig. telling me that mold is growing on the sour cream and the lettuce has terminal wilt to say nothing of eggs old enough to hatch.  Damn thing sounds like a smart ass. not just smart.  And what the mayo does in the dark has nothing to do with me as long as it avoids contact with the Miracle Whip  That would be a case of cross dressing I suspect.

• Like 7