• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Memories - eG Wisdom from the Cobwebs

Kerry Beal

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Worst meal at some ones home

sorry do not know how to make a link

1. Go to the topic you want to link to

2. Click, hold and drag to highlight the URL from the beginning through the end of the topic's name

3. Press Ctrl-C to copy (Command-C on a Mac)

4. Start a new topic.

5. Type what you want to type (e.g., Worst meal at some ones home)

6. Highlight a relevant part (or all) of what you typed

7. Click on the link icon (next to the Amazon link)

8. Press Ctrl-V (or Command-V) to paste the URL

9. Click on "Insert into post"

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 8/11/2016 at 11:48 PM, Lisa Shock said:

THIS is my favorite thread of all time. It was started by @weinoo .

Prior to this, I had auditioned for the second season of Food Network Star, and met @gfron1 in person at the audition. It was the first time someone recognized me from eG, which was very cool. Anyway, during my audition, the FN people kept asking about my family and family cooking traditions and I (foolishly) told them that my mom's favorite saying is "There's a reason God made bakeries." I had always felt a bit alone, being the only person in my family who liked to cook, and often being the only person who noticed differences between brands, or recipes, or when something was reformulated. @annabelle's reply was amazing, it expressed exactly how my mom felt -being in the kitchen was a form of unrecognized indentured servitude. -And, how I always felt a bit guilty because I wanted to spend hours in there experimenting, and hours upon hours reading cookbooks from the library. It was really liberating to realize how many people were just like me, somehow winding up with a love of cooking without any support system for it at all. -We were allowed to cook because no one else wanted to step up and do it.

@Lisa Shock I'd love to hear your memories of  the NFNS auditions.

• Like 1

Another eG discussion/memory: "How Do You Gild the Lily?

From the initial post launching the thread:

I must admit that I can be at various times a gourmet, gourmand and a glutton (mostly the last two). Many years ago I was introduced to an excess I had never at that time conceived. I was at a meeting in a different part of the country and part of the breakfast menu was cinnamon rolls. I love cinnamon rolls and had always enjoyed them back home on many occasions in what I perceived was the "normal way" with a good cup of coffee and that was it. However, a fellow participant in this meeting proceeded to put both butter and cream cheese on his cinnamon rolls. At first I was horrified. But then I tried the butter and took a bite. Then I tried the cream cheese and took a bite. And, horror of horrors, as he had done, I put both the butter and the cream cheese on the cinnamon roll simultaneously and loved it! :shock:

I can't read that discussion on an empty stomach. :D

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's another life changer. Thanks to @Okanagancook for the reminder. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/08/2016 at 8:40 PM, Shelby said:

Ditto.

I love to be able to have time to peruse old blogs.  SO fun....and then my brain drives me crazy wondering where certain members are that haven't been here for years.....

I've just re-read my own from 2005, and it even made *me* tired. Apparently my 2004 blog was the victim of an upgrade somewhere along the way, and is now a broken link...that one was impromptu rather than an "official" food blog, IIRC. 

As for the extended absence, in my case you could summarize it as "life." Got divorced, opened a couple of restaurants, closed a couple of restaurants, lost a second wife to a heart attack, moved a few times (actually more than a few times) and have more or less stabilized as a freelance writer. 

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Nice to see you back here, @chromedome

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown