• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoor Daging

ElsieD

This recipe serves 2

1 onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 T fresh minced ginger

Peanut or other cooking oil

12 ounces beef steak, cubed into 1/2" pieces

2 T ketjap manis

3 T passata

Nutmeg

salt 

pepper

Use a frying pan big enough to just hold the meat in a single layer.Small dice the onion and cook in the oil until softened.  Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add the beef and cook until the raw colour is gone.  Add the rest of the ingredients except the water and stir together.   Add enough water to come halfway up the meat. Simmer, loosely covered, for about half an hour.  The liquid should have reduced enough so that there is just enough for a sauce.  If you wish, thicken the sauce a bit with a cornstarch slurry.

Note:  I used strip loin for this.  If using a tougher cut of meat you may need to simmer it longer.

I was given the recipe by Chef Jeroen Kerrebijn of the Fall River Restaurant in Mayberly, Ontario.  I have made a couple of minor changes to it.

Edited by ElsieD
I orginally forgot to give credit for the recipe source. (log)
  • Like 3

BTW: "Semur Daging" or "Semor Daging" in Indonesian/Malay. ("Smoor" is a Dutch word. So if you search for "Smoor Daging" you will find largely Dutch websites/answers. Searching for "Semur/Semor Daging" gives you websites/answers in Indonesian/Malay. I note that the chef in question is Dutch, from his name.)

BTW2: Just FYI the Indonesian/Malay recipes for this might include more things - like hot chillies and lemongrass.

ETA: "Semur" means a sort of braise, such as is applied to the dish here where it is cooked in a brown gravy quite common in Malay and Indonesian cuisine. "Daging" simply means "meat". Because of Islamic prohibitions since the introduction of Islam into Indonesia, the default meaning for the term becomes anything-but-pork, commonly beef nowadays but could be water buffalo, goat, and so on especially in older periods. I suspect the Hindu Javanese period still used something other than pork, but I am guessing here (wildly speculating).

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2