• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keep It Simple

Maybe it's not so much age as experience? I find that newer cooks (however old they are) can fall into the trap of thinking that "exotic" ingredients and long involved recipes must equal high quality or haute cuisine, whereas more experienced cooks know that simpler can be better (not always, of course).

And newer cooks can tend to mistake busy for interesting, and to equate subtle dishes with boring dishes, when those of us with more experience know that subtle food can be deeply satisfying.

I know a cooking instructor who's so heavily into "fusion" recipes that everything he makes ends up tasting like everything and nothing. Students of his are impressed at first because of the explosion of flavors in his dishes, but most of them quickly come to realize that the apparent abundance in his cooking masks a fundamental lack of a "core" -- it's as if there's so much there, there's nothing there.

I know a cooking instructor who's so heavily into "fusion" recipes that everything he makes ends up tasting like everything and nothing.

Exactly. Everything and nothing.

Just something that tastes like something is now fine by me!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

There's an axiom in graphic design: If everything's bold, then nothing's bold.

Often used to thwart sales managers and Vice Presidents who want everything in large fat type, it seems analogous to what Maggie, JAZ and even cherrypi are saying. A couple of good, well-executed contrasts makes everything more intelligible.

Or to mix the metaphor, if everyone wants to sing lead, the audience will miss the harmony.

OTOH, Oraklet, I sometimes wish I had your patience.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Simple preparations? Depends on what your definition of simple is, I guess. When I first read Simon's post, I thought he was putting a spin on the "good ingredients, cooked well" thing, but after reading the follow-up I'm not so sure. My first reaction was to say that I don't think that appreciating quality ingredients/simple cooking is "an age thing." I certainly enjoyed the Sutton Arms meal, which was a good example of that ethos.

At home, when I have time I like to try new things. On week nights I stick to simple because I'm hungry and I'd like to eat something SOON. And since I'm usually trying to work out what to do with the half-dead leek, tablespoon of rendered duck fat and three cold roasted jerusalem artichokes I've found at the bottom of the fridge, even my "simple" cooking is driven more by necessity than artistry.

On the weekend I experiment. I like spices, chillies, sauces and playing with techniques. I like Thai, Chinese and Indian food, which (for someone whose ethnic identity is pretty Anglo-Celtic) is inherently "complex" in comparison, both in flavour and preparation. I am still learning the basics of classic French cookery. I like to make pasta by hand (and hang it on the clothes rack to dry, which drives my boyfriend nuts). I want new ingredients I haven't worked with before. It's a big culinary world out there, and I know only a tiny bit about it. Is this because I'm "young,"* or because I'm still learning what I like? Personally I'd be inclined to say it's the latter.

Aside 1:

One thing that confuses me: Maggie love, what's complex about bok choy? It's just a green leafy thing. :unsure:

Aside 2:

*Of course, since I'm 29 Simon would say that I'm not young at all. At least, not compared to his last date. :wink:

Edited by Miss J (log)

er, my last date was 46. Just for the record. But, as ever thanks for your concern.

Actually MS J, I do put you in the young category.

When I read your recipes on the "Dinner" Thread, they all sound delicious but they do seem to use a lot of ingredients. That is not a criticism and re-reading them it may be that you use a lot of descriptives for the ingredients so it sounds like it is more complicated than it actually is.

I would also argue that Indian food ( I can say with certainty ) and Chinese food ( I am guessing more ) is not inherently more complicated. In fact Indian food splits into so many varieties that while some are indeed very complex, many are hugely simple. That does not mean that they take less skill ( Mascher Jhol from Calcutta has four ingredients, Fish, Turmeric, Ginger, Mustard, but it takes years to master its preparation) but they are a good deal less showy

This is not a thread of criticism of younger tastes and cooking. I am just trying to see if the changes in my taste and cooking habits is anything to do with increasing age or if it is the result of a jaded palate after years of eating out or just a passing phase and I will turn into Tony Finch, napkin tucked in shirt collar tucking into the tasting menu at the square

Note that when a lot of professional chefs go out to eat,they prefer simple food.Some complicated things work,some are prepared by people who just don't know when to stop.But I do think one's palate changes some over time;that and the dread of a semi-sleepless night spent while my digestive system tries to cope with the overload...

That is not a criticism and re-reading them it may be that you use a lot of descriptives for the ingredients so it sounds like it is more complicated than it actually is.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Simon. I'm not a particularly complicated cook, but I AM verbose. :biggrin:

That is not a criticism and re-reading them it may be that you use a lot of descriptives for the ingredients so it sounds like it is more complicated than it actually is.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Simon. I'm not a particularly complicated cook, but I AM verbose. :biggrin:

I've generally found you to be quite simple

S

Edited: obvious facetiousness.

Stick me down in the less is more camp.

When I first started cooking I had a huge respect for difficult or unfamiliar preparations with which I would murder dishes.

I no longer try and cook lamb with a cream based sauce for example - I know that was just bad taste not complexity.

I also underestimated the pleasure in a dish that was just down to the raw materials. I shop a lot more & cook a lot less these days.

But there's the conceptual aspect too, Jinmyo for example describes her cooking with an admirable directness and exposing the underlying simplicity in really good food.

Edited by Gavin Jones (log)

Wilma squawks no more

Aside 1:

One thing that confuses me: Maggie love, what's complex about bok choy? It's just a green leafy thing. :unsure:

You are absulutely correct, of course. Bok choy is not complex at all.

But it reminds me of a period of my life when there was always at least three pounds of it in the fridge at any given time....waiting to be turned into Something Complex.

Just an aversion due to overkill.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My be it's because I learned how to cook by checking out Craig Claiborn's cookbook from the local library when I was a teenager, may be it's because back in those days I had to make my allowance stretch so I couldn't afford a lot of ingredients, but as I get older, I became more experiemental with complex flavours and spices. These days, I aim for a melange of flavours that work together discreetly like a symphony.

Edited by Bond Girl (log)

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.