• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaging for Chocolate Bars

curls

I have been looking for self-sealing plastic bags like Soma uses for chocolate bars. Interested in a rectangle vs. the squares Soma is using. Have not found anything at Gleurp or Nashville Wraps (but I may be using the wrong search terms).  Anyone know where to find these bags (in a variety of sizes) that have a flap with a bit of adhesive on the end for sealing the package?

Any other chocolate bar packaging ideas that don't require going custom?

distillery district-soma-IMG_2007.jpg

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Papermart

Uline

Nashville wraps has them - look for cello bags.

Thank you so much!!! I searched Uline too and couldn't find them. Now they are everywhere, thanks Kerry! Now all I have to do is find a mould I like that fits one of those sizes.  :D

And at Nashville Wraps http://www.nashvillewraps.com/clear-cello-bags/resealable-bags/c-052478.html

Edited by curls (log)

Custom cello bags are usually quite reasonable too - no fancy tooling required to make different sizes. I get a place close to me to make them for me - between $40 and $60/1000. A bit more with sealing ends I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Custom cello bags are usually quite reasonable too - no fancy tooling required to make different sizes. I get a place close to me to make them for me - between $40 and $60/1000. A bit more with sealing ends I'm sure.

Just custom size or are you getting a logo printed on them too? I look into that, would be good to locate a local shop that could do custom cello bags.

Not sure if this would help but a long time ago I bought a heat sealer for about $60 and it was one of the best purchases I made - gave me piece of mind for certain packaged chocolates over the years! I could take any bags I had and seal them anywhere on the bag to make different sizes (I did have to cut off many an end!) You just have to make sure you don't melt the bags and I only use on cello not plastic that I buy from papermart. Good luck!

On August 6, 2016 at 0:13 PM, curls said:

Two things: clearbags.com - they have hundreds of sizes and also do affordable custom work. Also, I agree that  heat sealer (Uline) is a great investment; that way you're not beholden to one bag or another. Just make sure you get heat-sealable bags!

Heather

On August 6, 2016 at 0:13 PM, curls said:

I have been looking for self-sealing plastic bags like Soma uses for chocolate bars. Interested in a rectangle vs. the squares Soma is using. Have not found anything at Gleurp or Nashville Wraps (but I may be using the wrong search terms).  Anyone know where to find these bags (in a variety of sizes) that have a flap with a bit of adhesive on the end for sealing the package?

Any other chocolate bar packaging ideas that don't require going custom?

distillery district-soma-IMG_2007.jpg

• 1 year later...

I’d like to continue the discussion on this thread.  I’m looking to add a little extra to my chocolate bar packaging and slide a sleeve over the poly bag, like in this photo by David Chow.

Does anyone have recommendations on who might provide this type of custom packaging?