• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downsizing the Cookbook Collection

MArkF

8 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

You are fortunate to have a library that accepts donations to use. Our area chain of libraries is remodeling one to include a large area devoted to food and cooking. As I am downsizing my cookbook collection, I contacted them and asked if they would like some of my collectible cookbooks to use in their classes/lectures, decorate with/display, etc. They said no. They said they will accept them, but will sell them on eBay in order to get the money. Made me really sad.

Yeah, my library does that, too.  Well, it's the "Friends of the Library," the community support group that accepts the donations and sells the books, rather than the library itself.  The books I've donated tend to be fairly recent books so I'm happy they can benefit from them in any way.  I can absolutely see why you'd prefer that collectable volumes actually go to use in the community library rather than generate funds to support it!

• Like 3

On 11/1/2016 at 9:42 AM, Porthos said:

MArkF, A couple of years ago I suggested to my DW that we get rid of most of our cookbooks since, for the last several years, she has only looked on-line for recipes. You'd of thought I was proposing high treason. Reference point: we have been married 38 years, both cook, and added to our cookbook collection up until just a few years ago.

I keep trying to talk myself into using them again, but the direction my cooking has taken makes most of them of no value to me. Not that I am am accomplished cook, I just prefer simpler, fewer ingredient dishes than I did a quarter of a century ago.

It will be interesting to see what happens when my FIL passes and we (my DW, her siblings and I) divide up the bookcase full of my late MIL's cookbooks.

Update.

With his permission three years ago we cleared out my MIL's cookbooks, each family member getting the volumes that they were interested in, and the rest were donated. Instead of thinning our collection, we added to it. Now, three years after that, we're packing up our home to move to Arizona and all of the cookbooks are coming with us. Our new house has a walk-in pantry with a lot of shelving. I hope that my Sweetie will be okay with putting them in there.

Pantry.jpg.f373cd08ab00dc673562b5b1898f7029.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, Porthos said:

Update.

With his permission three years ago we cleared out my MIL's cookbooks, each family member getting the volumes that they were interested in, and the rest were donated. Instead of thinning our collection, we added to it. Now, three years after that, we're packing up our home to move to Arizona and all of the cookbooks are coming with us. Our new house has a walk-in pantry with a lot of shelving. I hope that my Sweetie will be okay with putting them in there.

Pantry.jpg.f373cd08ab00dc673562b5b1898f7029.jpg

Most of us know that it is a major PITA to move. That said, I hope you'll share the culinary decisions and activities with us as time and energy permit. "Before and After" or "Here and There" for instance. At any rate...good luck with the move!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown