• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

fixed two typos

I have two bookcases full of cookbooks.  I have also culled them heavily at least twice.  I would guess I have donated somewhere around 400 cookbooks to the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  Well, guess what?  The bookcases are full again, the latest purchase, 300 Best Taco Recipes having arrived last week.  I have a handful of cookbooks I would never get rid of, one is the first cook I ever owned, given to me by my parents for my 22nd birthday and another is Great Dinners From Life.  A couple of other oldies in there as well.  I do not miss the ones I got rid of (I transcribed some keeper recip (es) and I enjoy my new books. What I like to cook has changed a great deal since I first pick up a pot and that is reflected in the cookbooks I currently own.  I think cookbook collections evolve and while I go on-line a lot to look for recipes, I get considerably more joy from thumbing through a hard copy cookbook.  I'd bet that you too will soon be building up a new collection.

ElsieD

ElsieD

I have two bookcases full of cookbooks.  I have also culled them heavily at least twice.  I would guess I have donated somewhere around 400 cookbooks to the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  Well, guess what?  The bookcases are full again, the latest purchase, 300 Best Taco Recipes having arrived last week.  I have a handful of cookbooks I would never get rid of, one is the first cook I ever owned, given to me by my parents for my 22nd birthday and another is Great Dinners From Life.  A couple of other oldies in there as well.  I do not miss the ones I got rid of (I transcribed some keeper recioes) and I enjoy my new books. What I like to cook has changed a great deal since I first pick up a pot and that is reflected in the cookbooks I currently own.  I think cookbook collections evolve and I while I go on-line a lot to look for recipes, I get considerably more joy from thumbing through a hard copy cookbook.  I'd bet that you too will soon be building up a new collection.