• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixing Isomalt and Sugar

Bakerchic

Hello!

Is there a reason I cannot mix isomalt and sugar/?  Are they chemically incompatible?  For example, if I heat the sugar to caramel stage and heat the isomalt to the required temperature, can I mix the two, to get the color and flavor of the sugar and the humidity resistance of the isomalt?

I have mixed them in the past with no issues - although I typically use a combo of sugar, isomalt and glucose.  The isomalt doesn't like to melt as readily as the sugar does, but it will eventually.  I have never noticed the humidity resistance (I always keep my sugar stuff in sealed containers with a few packs of desiccant thrown in), but the mixture is certainly less sweet than sugar, which is the primary reason why I use it as I like it for savory applications.

• Like 1

I tried it and it worked!  I did the usual caramel with sugar, cornsyrup and cream of tartar; I started the isomalt about 15 minutes earlier than the sugar and when it got to temperature I mixed about half of the isomalt into the caramel. 

I colored the rest of the isomalt to experiment with candy gems and sugar cages.  That was fun, and I discovered that I don't need gel coloring for the isomalt if I dissolve some powder in a bit of alcohol (I used vodka).

However, I think mixing the sugar with the isomalt decreased the dryness of the isomalt; the isomalt might have had a small effect on the sugar, but it wasn't noticeable.  I ended up with both being hygroscopic to some extent.  Now I know. 

• Like 1