• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Flaming Orange Gully

Fat Guy

And before I start brewing up alcoholic beverages at home, I want incredibly clear and detailed instructions (as we all should).

I agree -- I like incredibly clear and detailed instructions in all things! But just to be clear, we're not talking about operating a still or anything hazardous here. This is just a question of infusing a bottle of rum with some cloves and such. It's no big deal.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was excited about trying this, until I noted that nowhere in the directions do you actually light this baby on fire. I respectfully request that 'Flaming' be removed from the name ... :wink:

You do light it on fire.... the orange oil is flamed in the drink.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You do light it on fire.... the orange oil is flamed in the drink.

Ah -- much better. Respectfully remove my original request.

I missed this in my first scan through of the recipe:

Garnish with a flamed orange peel
I guess that means light this baby on fire ... Edited by muon33 (log)

Looks like I have my work cut out for me tonight. Why order when you can make it yourself!

Got that right! I probably won't get to it tonight, but if you should....you do know that your first duty is to document your experience here immediately!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

be sure to get permission and have an adult around, just in case.

"Mommy, can you watch me while I mix myself a Flaming Orange Gully?"

I just want to add that I, too, think this is the Coolest. Thing. Evah!

Also, if it hasn't been noted, its acronym is FOG, to denote what it might do to one's mind.

--

ID

--

Dale notes, "I was really challenged because the group has very high standards when it comes to the culinary arts. I wanted something with layers of flavor and I thought the Velvet Falernum and nutmeg would provide that without getting too esoteric

So who does dis guy tink he is ? Where does he get off wid saying tinks like dat ? We ain't esoteric enough for him ? Let dis guy Gruff come to my lap-dancing club. I'll show de punk esoteric.

Macrosan, have you been watching the Sopranos? Stick with Leonard Rossiter.

I will be along to the Player as soon as the FOG is available in London. Like I need help to structure drinking eGulletarianly.

Edit: The Player just off Berwick street is open to non-members 5-11pm (as I recall). Even, at the cocktail hour, it's not too packed.

Edited by Gavin Jones (log)

Wilma squawks no more

To clarify the flaming procedure, here's Dale demonstrating the orange-carving technique:

flame1.jpg

Preparing to flame the orange:

flame2.jpg

The Flaming Orange Gully in action:

flame3.jpg

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sounds interesting.

PS: I didn't know we were called eGulleteers.

Yes, indeed. Interesting and tasty, if a bit on the sweet side.

Yvonne, would you prefer "eGulletarian" -- or does that sound a little too cultish?

I tend to use eGulletarian, and I've seen "eGulleter", but eGulleteer sounds new to me, though I see Varmint used the term. The eGullet zine piece was written by "eGullet staff" and in it "eGulleteer" is used again. No big deal......eGulleteer has a certain ring to it. egulleteer musketeers.

cool FG, were these taken recently?

also, can we call it FOG instead of Flaming Orange Gully.  You could get beat up at places if you ask for a Flaming Orange Gully... :smile:

Yes, Ellen took them last week at Beacon.

FOG is good. It can be our secret little code.

The apple version is next.

Also, have we answered the "how big is a bottle of rum" question yet?

I am assuming 750 or 1 liter and approximating by just making 1 cup of the marinade (do I really need a whole bottle of it?) to mix into the quart of simple syrup. In other words, 1 cup white rum, a drop of almond extract (1/16th tsp!), 3 cloves, zest of 3 limes. The distributer is sending us a bottle of the syrup so we can compare my experiment to the commercial stuff.

Also, have we answered the "how big is a bottle of rum" question yet?

I e-mailed Dale about it and will post the answer when he gets back to me.

So am I correct in interpreting from the picture above that he slices a circle of the peel from the orange for flaming duties? Does this piece actually go in the drink or does the flamed oil go in?

It looks like the drink already has some orange peel in it.

Thanks!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

So am I correct in interpreting from the picture above that he slices a circle of the peel from the orange for flaming duties?  Does this piece actually go in the drink or does the flamed oil go in? 

Thanks!

Ben

My understanding of his techinque is that he holds the ligher or match in front of the glass and sort of bends/snaps the orange peel to release a fine spray of orange oil through the flame towards the surface of the drink. It's the fine mist of orange oil that actually ignites, not the alcohol in the drink. You can then drop the peel into the glass as a garnish, or use a strip of orange peel like he has in the photo.

So am I correct in interpreting from the picture above that he slices a circle of the peel from the orange for flaming duties?  Does this piece actually go in the drink or does the flamed oil go in?  

Thanks!

Ben

My understanding of his techinque is that he holds the ligher or match in front of the glass and sort of bends/snaps the orange peel to release a fine spray of orange oil through the flame towards the surface of the drink. It's the fine mist of orange oil that actually ignites, not the alcohol in the drink. You can then drop the peel into the glass as a garnish, or use a strip of orange peel like he has in the photo.

So does this "flamed" oil add to the drink flavor or aroma-wise? This part definately adds to the alure of the drink...and anything on fire is better.

Ben

Edited by Schielke (log)

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario