• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Flaming Orange Gully

Fat Guy

Hey nightscotsman and Ben, how about a FOG sorbet or something?

I don't know if it was technically a sorbet (the high alcohol content made it more of a "slushee"), but eGullet big-boss-brains Jason and Rachel Perlow had some of this stuff frozen at one point a few weeks ago. It works pretty well as a frozen concoction.

Yes, with the alcohol it makes a slushee. Use litte or no alcohol and add some water for a sorbet or granita.

Well, I had a couple last night. The first was very crisp and refreshing with a nice balance between the lime and orange. The second was heavy on the vodka. All in all, a nice drink. Beacon has a drink deal: 2 winter drinks (FOG is one of them) and a pizza for... $19.95? NOT a bad thing when you consider each drink is say, $9.00, and the pizza is $16.00. Don't know the size of the $16.00 pizza, but heck, it was fine for me and my friends. I know, I know it's not a classy pairing, but WTF, it was free.

• 4 months later...

I had my FIRST Flaming Orange Gully at Beacon, NYC last night. I LOVE this drink and the delectable taste of lime juice. Everyone at the table thought this drink was a winner. Is there anyplace else besides Beacon where it can be had?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 years later...

amusing thread to dig up....its clear that the serious drinkers weren't around Egullet yet in 2003.

the drink looks like it would be fine, if it wasn't for the vodka part. (out of close to 100 bottles in my home bar -- not one is vodka). I also tend to wonder if the Taylor velvet falernum was probably already available in the U.S....the bar at Absinthe in San Francisco appears to have been using it for years...

"If it wasn't for the Falernum, then it would just be a fancy vodka and orange juice. "

with the Falernum its kind of analogous to a monkey gland. vodka, oj and falernum instead of gin, oj and grenadine (although the absinthe or benedictine, depending upon whether you're English or American, makes that a far more complex and robust drink)

amusing thread to dig up....its clear that the serious drinkers weren't around Egullet yet in 2003. 

the drink looks like it would be fine, if it wasn't for the vodka part.  (out of close to 100 bottles in my home bar -- not one is vodka).  I also tend to wonder if the Taylor velvet falernum was probably already available in the U.S....the bar at Absinthe in San Francisco appears to have been using it for years...

Try it this way...

...it was time for a cocktail.

The idea was to start with the Flaming Gully created by Mr. Dale DeGroff for eGullet.

Introducing: The Flaming Orange Gully

There were issues, however. I had no citrus vodka and after a small credit card, ahem, incident, certain persons have been strongly discouraged from purchasing additional spirits.

Not wanting to let a mere lack of infused flavorless spirits to prevent me from flaming my gully, I proceeded as follows.

From one orange half I removed two long zests and two broad zests. I then used a micro plane grater to add the rest of the orange zest to approx 4 oz of white rum. To that I added the juice from two key limes, a few dashes of angostura bitters, 1 1/2 oz Velvet Falernum, and the juice of 1/2 orange.

I curled the two long orange zests and added them to the cocktail glasses. I shook the above with ice until very cold and stained it into the glasses. Flamed wide zests over glasses and garnished with fresh grated nutmeg.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Perhaps it is time for a new Egullet cocktail?

Stay tuned. We may organize a "for fun" competition in the new year.

I whole-heartedly look forward to this friendly contest.

Not that this meek and humble reader devices to join the fray!

Nay! It is for the many opportunities to imbibe that will be made available by testing the myriad of recipes submitted.

This, at my best guess will top out at three cocktails, as I probably will be thwarted by the challenge of obtaining some of the rarest ingredients known to man in order to fulfill 95% of the recipes.

Unless of course there are many of “roast potato and thyme chicken” infusion recipes, of which I probably will skip.

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair