• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Flaming Orange Gully

Fat Guy

It is a dangerous drink, strong in content but not on the pallate.

Interesting, after some rumination, I didn't think it was strong enough. My next batch of velvet flanarem syrup with be only 2:1 simple syrup to marinated rum or even 1:1. Yeah, it'll probably be 1:1.

So, the few folks who have tried it, do you think it's better before dinner or after (since it can be a little sweet)?

Maybe we'll have a taste test at the NJ Potluck next week and take notes.

So we did. Here's what I did: I premixed (at home) the freshly squeezed OJ, lime juice, liquer & bitters, and brought with me both the commercial and homemade Velvet Falernum Syrup, ice, and a citrus stripper like this: 31zestp1.jpg. Since we were serving the drinks in plastic cups I decided against flaming the zest and instead stripped long pieces of peel from a navel orange and dropped the peel into the drink as garnish. I also forgot the nutmeg, oops, I hope Dale can forgive me. We mixed up some drinks with the commercial syrup and some with the homemade. The commercial syrup produced a drink that was way too sweet, the zest infused homemade syrup was definitely preferred by tasters for its bitter edge. It also is less sweet than the commercial syrup, which appears to be a 2:1 simple syrup vs the homemade's 1:1 sugar to water ratio. Therefore, it is definitely worth zesting all those limes to make your own Velvet Falernum. Either that, or add a spritz of lime zest to your drink before flaming the orange zest if you use the commercial syrup.

Of course the ratios I'm talking about above are just sugar to water for the simple syrup. As for the ratio of marinated rum to simple syrup that is 1 part marinated rum to about 4 parts simple syrup. I suppose if you wanted to use it as an cordial to drink straight that ratio could be increased to about 2 or 2.5 parts out of five.

Rachel:

the commercial syrup we have is the non-alcoholic version that was sent to Spirit of Hartford as a sample and my understanding is it is about twice the sweetness of the finished product, so I think we should reserve judgement of the commercial Falernum until we get the correct imported version.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Last night I just happened to have a couple of FOG's whilst making kielbasa (sorry about the blurriness, it's tough to get the lighting and timing right and have the orange flames show up):

fcb9e74b.jpg

I can't wait until I run out of my current Falernum because I'm going to try both 1:1 and 1:2 marinated rum to 1:1 simple syrup instead 1:4. It just seems that more alcohol is needed to represent myself and the other dedicated drinkers on eGullet. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if you can get Velvet Falernum Syrup in stores now? I really need this info on how to get some for the CHicago Get Together next weekend...The Velvet Falernum web site says it will be available in the U.S. in March 2003....

Any info appreciated...

Edited by awbrig (log)

Anyone know if you can get Velvet Falernum Syrup in stores now?  I really need this info on how to get some for the CHicago Get Together next weekend...The Velvet Falernum web sute says it will be available in the U.S. in March 2003....

Any info appreciated...

No point. Just make the homemade stuff. Its easy.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I will also note that as a variation, Blood Oranges and a combination of pink grapefruit and orange make great juice for Gullies.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally made it to Beacon last night, and had the infamous Flaming Orange Gully. The way the bartender made it, it was definitely NOT a girly drink -- really sharp sweet-and-sour, with all those spice notes and the hovering aura of orange oil. The bartender acknowledged that she had trouble doing the flame-thrower thing. It looked to me like part of the problem might be that if you use a match, you need three hands: one for the match, one to striking surface, and one for the orange peel. Has anyone tried using a barbecue lighter?

But, man, it could be LETHAL! From the taste, you have no idea how much alcohol is in it -- like a caiparinha. It sure would be easy to end up flat on your, um, back after a couple of those!

BTW: after my meal I chatted with the chef de cuisine (Mario Landaverde) a bit about the possibility of setting up a private Beefsteak for eGulleteers. Whatcha think?

cool FG, were these taken recently?

also, can we call it FOG instead of Flaming Orange Gully.  You could get beat up at places if you ask for a Flaming Orange Gully... :smile:

Don't you think that anyone who would be ABLE to make a Flaming Orange Gully would not be able to beat you up? For whatever reason. :raz:

I can't believe Velvet Falernum's not available in NYC. Any updates?

I'm going to head over to the Beacon this week.

Hey nightscotsman and Ben, how about a FOG sorbet or something?

I don't know if it was technically a sorbet (the high alcohol content made it more of a "slushee"), but eGullet big-boss-brains Jason and Rachel Perlow had some of this stuff frozen at one point a few weeks ago. It works pretty well as a frozen concoction.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

nightscotsman Posted: Jan 14 2003, 07:13 PM

Sounds like a very nice drink - I'll have to try it. Thanks so much to Dale for taking the time to think of us. Is it just me or does the name sound kind of.... uh.... gay?

Re:  Our signature drink, the flaming Gully

Um, nobody told you eGullet is a gay site?

I'm guessing 1 liter but I'll ask Dale today.

I thought Gumby was an icon of virility. :cool:

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com