• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Flaming Orange Gully

Fat Guy

I'll also ask Dale whether the flaming orange actually contributes to the drink, or if it's purely for effect. Either way, it's pretty cool. Maybe I can just get him to look in on this thread -- I think he's traveling right now, though.

So when are all the New York eGulleteers getting together at Beacon to toast the new cocktail, new year, new authoritarian regime, etc.? We save a buck on every drink, after all.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dale DeGroff's excellent recipe book for hundreds of cocktails uses flamed orange in several situations. Good book, uses lots of basic recipes, then adds different ingredients to create new drinks.

I'd be willing to bet if you identify the basic taste in Falernum, you can create or buy a proximation and not know the difference.

We've tried several of his creations, and, if my liver holds out, I'd like to try the rest...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Is it just me or does the name sound kind of.... uh.... gay?

Well (*puts hands on his hips*), a FLAMBEED Orange Gully wouldn't sound quite right, now would it?

Neither would an Orange Foster Gully.

But not everyone or everything can be Damon Wayans. :hmmm:

SA

....Well, ain't that the truth, but I seem to recall something similar in nature by another political savior named Ralph Nader. Nader's "I'm fighting for the soul of the Democratic Party" turned into the Moliere-like farce of the 2000 presidential elections, as certain victory was snatched from Al Gore, due in part to Saint Nader's earnest outlook -- among many other things.....

Some folks, me among them, believe Nader represented the true spirit of the Democratic party. Union members, poor people, greens, victims of exported jobs and lousy schools. The liberal, blow dry, corporate Democrats of Bill, Al, Joe, or Gephardt couldn't hold a candle to Reuther, Dellums, Barbara Jordan or pale imitations like Waxman or Hillary.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

And Nightscotsman makes the yummiest cocktails, too!  :wub:  :wub:

...and looks dorky doing it. :unsure:

I will most definately be trying out the new Flaming Queen... I mean "Orange" Gully as soon as we hear back on how much rum to use in the Falernum recipe. When I've perfected my flaming technique (where ARE those high-heals?) we'll see about getting together for a tasting.

I didn't actually end up at the liquor store tonight to pick up my fifth of rum (I'm guessing it's a fifth) 'cause I went out drinking instead. HOWEVER, when I pick up my duck tomorrow, I'll go to one of the backward liquor stores here in Washington and start my own falernum syrup. Soon afterward it's ready, I'll be drinking the orange Gully on fire. Hopefully the flames won't get too out of hand.

....Well, ain't that the truth, but I seem to recall something similar in nature by another political savior named Ralph Nader. Nader's "I'm fighting for the soul of the Democratic Party" turned into the Moliere-like farce of the 2000 presidential elections, as certain victory was snatched from Al Gore, due in part to Saint Nader's earnest outlook -- among many other things.....

Some folks, me among them, believe Nader represented the true spirit of the Democratic party. Union members, poor people, greens, victims of exported jobs and lousy schools. The liberal, blow dry, corporate Democrats of Bill, Al, Joe, or Gephardt couldn't hold a candle to Reuther, Dellums, Barbara Jordan or pale imitations like Waxman or Hillary.

Um...Paul, Sweetie. Not that I disagree with you or anything, but which of us has had too many cocktails? :biggrin: Don't get how this follows.

Or is it the Wayans reference? Don't remember who he is.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

so if we buy a 750ML bottle we have to make some slight adjustments then...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Can we arrange for a round of FOGs at the NYC Chinese Banquet on the 29th?

If a group wants to meet at Beacon beforehand we can certainly do that.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

By the way, I've heard from Waldy Malouf and the FOG is available at the bar starting tonight.

Um...Paul, Sweetie.  Not that I disagree with you or anything, but which of us has had too many cocktails?  :biggrin:  Don't get how this follows.

Or is it the Wayans reference?  Don't remember who he is.

He's talking about my signature.

PM me and I'll fill you in on the details.

Damon Wayans was one of the stars of "In Living Color" which was a comedy show a la Saturday Night Live on Fox TV, in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Jim Carrey is another alumnus of that show, which unfortunately is not being produced any more. Wayans was famous for several sketches, a few of which were stereotypically gay, but tastefully done. (The Book Review character comes to mind -- "Hated it!").

:blink:

SA

I started on my Velvet Falernum last night. Here's a complicated post on how I am adjusting the Velvet Falernum recipe to make only one bottle of the finished product (since we now know the marinade is based on a 1000 ml bottle):

8 oz white rum

3 limes' worth of zest (peeled with a peeler then finely chopped)

3 cloves

1/16 tsp almond extract (measured out a 1/4 tsp and then counted the drops. Basicly a drop is a 1/16 of a tsp, I suppose I could add another drop to the final mixture if the almond is undetectable.)

Now 8 ounces is 0.23658823650400001 liter. So, I really needed 2.365th the amount of lime zest and cloves. Since I already started this last night, around 8:30 PM, I will adjust the time of marination as follows: 2.3658823650400001 divided by 3 yields 0.78862745501333336666666666666667, rounded off to 78.8% of 24 hours, or around 19 hours. Therefore I will strain the solids from the rum at 3:30. Here's a picture:

fcc671ff.jpg

1:1 ratio Simple Syrup (Domino pure cane sugar) with marinating rum. The cloves have already given it a brown tinge.

Edited by RPerlow (log)

VELVET FALERNUM

This sugar cane based liqueur born and bred in Barbados is a staple of every Bajan's bar. Its uniquely refreshing flavor comes from a refined infusion of lime laced with fine cane syrup and 'botanicals' including almonds and cloves.

The product will be available in March 2003 in 750 ml bottles. Come see the product at the Nightclub and Bar show in Vegas the end of March 2003.

Also, see web site being built at http://www.velvetfalernum.com

See, we even got the actual substance to post!

For those of you in the UK or thereabouts, please take note of the Player Club thing that Andy Lynes and Dale DeGroff have set up for January 22nd:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=15408