• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Flaming Orange Gully

Fat Guy

A cocktail we can call our own.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It sounds refreshing and orange-y. Where does one purchase Velvet Falernum syrup online? And other hard-to-find spirits, for that matter?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

MsRamsey, just follow the link in the article to purchase Velvet Falernum. I'm not sure about the details of shipping and such -- the site is rudimentary -- but the first person to order let us know what happens.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you. I didn't see that. :wacko:

I have emailed them and will let you know what they say. Their "Order Now!" button is only for ordering a barrel rum for New Year's Eve 2000! Hmmm.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

A question about the recipe for Velvet Falernum Syrup: it says "one bottle of white rum". what size bottle would that be?

Sounds like a very nice drink - I'll have to try it. Thanks so much to Dale for taking the time to think of us. Is it just me or does the name sound kind of.... uh.... gay?

Um, nobody told you eGullet is a gay site?

I'm guessing 1 liter but I'll ask Dale today.

Really, 1 Liter?

I would have assumed 750 mL since that seems to be the most standard bottle size round these parts. Unless that is strictly an American standard and the recipe is european in nature.

Yeah, Dale hit it right on the head. He might as well have outed me. :laugh:

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Yeah but bartenders tend to work with 1L or 1.5L bottles, I think. I've e-mailed Dale and I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks to some diligent detective work by MsRamsey, we've determined that our Velvet Falernum purchasing link is a dud. So . . . you'll probably have to make it yourself or have the drink at Beacon. MsRamsey maybe you can post what you've learned so far, for the truly determined to use as a starting point for additional research.

I think it's extra cool that Dale chose to build our cocktail around an ingredient that's unobtainable and shrouded in mystery, so you have to make it yourself. Very artisanal and eGullet-ish.

Oh PLEASE tell me there is an alternative site for purchase of the rare Velvet Falernum. It just won't be an Egullet drink if we can't all try it at home, get sloshed, and write about our misadventures. Heck, if we can't make it at home, then no one can write that they've made improvements to it! :wink:

You can make it at home. You just have to create your own Velvet Falernum according to the second recipe before you can make the first! Actually, MsRamsey has a lead on how to get it. She'll post soon I hope.

Also I've put Jason on the job of shmoozing the importer, and I've told him if he can't find us a supply of the stuff he has to make 50 gallons in his basement and ship it to any eGulleteer who wants some.

OK I think this might the coolest thing yet here at eGullet.

However, I'm feeling excluded, over here to the Left Coast, and I WANNA MAKE THIS DRINK. Plus, it has just become overweeningly important to have something called Velvet Falernum in my liquor cab.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

An email from Spirits of Hartford:

Hi Liza and thanks for your email. We are pleased to say that our falernum

should be available in earlys Spring 2003!

We will keep you posted!

Please check out our websites at foursquarerum.com and doorlysrum.com

Very best regards,

Ken Olsen

Liza beat me to it, but here is Spirit of Hartford's web site:

http://www.spiritofhartford.com/brand.htm

I spoke to one of their representatives on the phone, and she explained to me that they just got BATF approval to import the product. So they should have it avalaible from select distributors in a month or two.

Contact info:

Phone:

860 404-1776

Fax:

860 404-1777

Mail:

The Spirit of Hartford llc.

PO Box 260730

Hartford, CT

E mail:

Service@SpiritofHartford.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, I also emailed Spirit of Hartford, but they haven't written me back yet. :unsure: Glad to know they're hearing from more than one of us!!

You can purchase Velvet Falernum through www.foursquarerum.com. They would take a credit card number and FedEx a bottle to you, but I don't know how much it costs. Quite a bit, I suspect. The email address is: rlseale@caribsurf.com

The Foursquare Rum people told me that Spirit of Hartford might have a couple of bottles they'd be willing to sell, but as I said, I haven't heard back from SoH yet.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Just heard from them:

"Hi Kathy,

We are pleased that the response to our falernum is as great as it is. We will hopefully have falernum available on the west coast by early Spring 2003. We will let you know when it will be ready! Also, check out our websites on foursquarerum.com and doorlysrum.com!

Very best regards,

Ken Olsen"

Gov. Schwarzenegger.