• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

I went vegetarian tonight with a small baked potato with sour cream and butter, sauteed spinach with a little onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper and eggs scrambled in at the end, then topped with grated parm. I also boiled up some speckled butter bean, and we had TGI Friday's brand jalapeno poppers stuffed with Cheddar. I remember these being better last time I had them. I wound up pulling off most of the breading tonight. The husband also had an oven-fried chicken thigh.

My brother brought over another cucumber, normal-sized this time, and some cherry tomatoes from his garden. He also brought back my cake carrier with about a third of the cake left. It turns out my brother-in-law and the eldest niece did go back to my brother's house for cake and ice cream, where the nephew was staying. Everyone really liked the cake and reported it was delicious. I need to plan a no-carb dinner tomorrow so we can have a piece for dessert.

• Like 11

> ^ . . ^ <

We eat quite a bit of salmon here and we often enjoy it plain - in this case Spring salmon fillets steam-broiled with a bit of lemon. I think @FrogPrincesse mentioned piperade recently and I made an attempt at something similar but substituting a bit of paprika and cayenne for the Espelette pepper. I added some summer squash to the onion, pepper and tomato mix and served it on top of some summer squash rounds. Tasty! 

IMGP6231.JPG

And simple but delicious Blackberry Pie Bars. (Served with a bit of ice cream.) So good! 

IMGP6219-001.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 20

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That looks and sounds fabulous!  Would you consider saying a bit more about how you put this together?  Particularly the crispy lemon part?  I've added lemon zest to this sort of dish before but this looks so much more interesting and flavorful.  Thanks!

Thanks! It's kind of nice to get a chewy yet crisp bite of lemon while eating. I saw the lemon on a video, but can't recall where. Quarter the lemon and blanch for a minute or two, slice thin and  saute in olive oil until crisp. Set aside. The last time I made this I noticed the lemon had a thinner layer of pith than the one I used today-the lemons today were a little bitter because of this but still good.

Brown 3/4 lb Italian sausage in a high sided skillet. Set aside.

Drop pasta in boiling water

Heat olive oil in skillet sausage was browned in and add chopped baby broccoli.

After about 4-5 min add garlic and chili flakes cook 30 sec then add sausage and deglaze w white wine

When pasta is almost done add to skillet w broccoli and sausage. Use a little pasta water if it's dry.

Cut heat. Finish w butter olive oil and parm.

Serve and top w crispy lemon slices. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

We eat quite a bit of salmon here and we often enjoy it plain - in this case Spring salmon fillets steam-broiled with a bit of lemon. I think @FrogPrincesse mentioned piperade recently and I made an attempt at something similar but substituting a bit of paprika and cayenne for the Espelette pepper. I added some summer squash to the onion, pepper and tomato mix and served it on top of some summer squash rounds. Tasty! 

IMGP6231.JPG

And simple but delicious Blackberry Pie Bars. (Served with a bit of ice cream.) So good! 

IMGP6219-001.JPG

Faux Pas,

All of your meal looks beautiful, but the blackberry pie bars looked so good I bookmarked the recipe. Your bars look prettier than the ones posted in the linked recipe. Your topping looks finer, crumblier and crunchier.  Did you make any adjustments?

I'm suspecting the recipe would work well with a lot of different fruits too.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

A light supper. Girandole pasta in ricotta and herbs. 

20160819_141153.jpg20160819_133929.jpg

The herbs Iv'e picked from the garden: Sage, thyme, basil, chives, tarragon, rosemary and garlic. Iv'e also added parsley, as well as some more chives and basil.

The ricotta is store bought, but very good. Also a little Parmesan, some strong and bitter olive oil, a touch of wine vinegar, and plenty of black pepper.

For dessert, we had a wonderful mango from our tree, and some very nice plums from the market, which had a distinct cherry flavor.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 15

~ Shai N.

I haven't cooked much recently. But finally, I think I have shaken off the worst of the miserable cold I've been suffering all week, so tonight I made a tentative step back to normality.

dinner.jpg

Chicken legs in a spicy tomato sauce made with canned Italian tomatoes, garlic, onion, white chilli and mixed herbs. Shiitake mushrooms and asparagus. Served with rice.

And there's a peach crumble in the oven almost ready for dessert.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Good dinners the last two nights, though I've forgotten to take photos both nights.

Wednesday night, finally cooked the Hawaiian ribeyes that had been drained from the marinade and frozen in a vac sealed bag. I was going to grill them, but the grill ran out of gas about the time it got hot, so I did them in the CSO. Very good, 5 minutes on steam broil at 500F on each side, perfect medium rare. Two of us split three steaks and had plenty. We had sweet potato fries (the frozen and oven roasted variety), Asian cucumber salad and coconut rice as sides.

Last night, I warmed some leftover chicken from Sunday on steam bake in the CSO. Very simple sides of mashed potatoes, gravy and frozen green peas. Hit the spot. 

Tonight, I'm thinking some kind of chicken pasta or casserole.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Faux Pas,

All of your meal looks beautiful, but the blackberry pie bars looked so good I bookmarked the recipe. Your bars look prettier than the ones posted in the linked recipe. Your topping looks finer, crumblier and crunchier.  Did you make any adjustments?

I'm suspecting the recipe would work well with a lot of different fruits too.

@Thanks for the Crepes, thanks so much! 

I roughly halved the recipe as the original (in a 9" X 13") would have made too much for our purposes. I used an 8" X 8" pan, cooked at only 350F on convection bake in the  Cuisinart Convection Steam Oven and reduced the cooking time to about 30 or 35 mins. I can't remember the exact cooking time but I took them out when the top had a nice bit of browning on it. 

I agree that the one I made looked tastier (not sure why, maybe just the photo angle?) and it was really good. I still used one egg, but a small one and I used a bit more than half the butter, and maybe a tad more than half the other ingredients also as I wanted lots of crust and topping. I don't have a food processor so used a hand pastry cutter/blender to cut the partially softened butter into the flour mix and I suspect the resulting mix was therefore coarser than the original.  

And yes, this absolutely would work with other fruits! If you make it, would love to see your pics! 

Edited to add: I think this simple recipe is all over the place - I see Smitten Kitchen has basically the same one today featured on her Facebook page, only with blueberries and called Blueberry Crumb Bars. Ha. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

i wasn't thrilled with the texture from the SV method.  The next one will go on the gas grill or  CI skillet

I've noticed the same thing. I find t hat SV steak is better a touch more done than I'd like it when seared/roasted. So traditional cook gets MR...SV gets somewhat less than medium, which gets the texture to my liking.

• Like 3

Linguine with smoked salmon belly.

DSCN0752a_600.jpg

Linguine was Rustichella d'Abruzzo stuff.

Most of the ingredients:

Salina salted capers [Mongetto] being soaked, lemon juice, smoked salmon bellies [Wild Alaska Salmon & Seafood] stripped of skin & fins & picked over, lemon zest.  Cocozelle zucchini [Full Hand Farm], garlic (Siberian Red), parsley [my deck], Vidalia onion, Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes [Fields Farm Fresh].  Sage & thyme [my deck].

DSCN0740a_400.jpgDSCN0745a_400.jpg

DSCN0749a_400.jpg

• Like 12

Just got back from adult Disneyland (aka Las Vegas).

Tonight, we had deep dish pizza -- sorry, no pic.

Here are pix of last night's blowout extravaganza:

IMG_8488.JPG

Foie gras, bourbon bread pudding, orange cherry salad

IMG_8490.JPG

Steak tartare, worcestershire-dijon aioli, crumbled egg, grilled bread

IMG_8491.JPG

Filet mignon, bearnaise

IMG_8493.JPG

Porterhouse steak for two, with onions and carrots

IMG_8494.JPG

Haricot verts with mushrooms and crispy shallots

In the background is a baked potato served with Earth Balance.  One of our party was lactose intolerant.

IMG_8496.JPG

Brown butter cake, blueberry compote, corn ice cream, Meyer lemon curd

I'll post the rest of my pix eventually -- have 300+ photos to sort through.  Stay tuned...

• Like 17

This is waaaaay better than it looks.  I took some Silver Queen and roasted it on the top of the stove then cut the kernels off.  Mixed those with diced red onion and jalapeños from the garden along with salt, garlic and a lot of fresh lime juice.  OMG good.  I could have just eaten this on some tortilla chips all night.

P8191272.JPG

Little bit of salsa made with a tomato that we bought.  

P8191273.JPG

Venison taco salads

P8191275.JPG

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Little bit of salsa made with a tomato that we bought.  

.... a tomato that we bought. 

These are such sad words coming from you, Shelby! So crappy that your garden tomatoes were badly damaged in those storms. :(

Though I'm sure that next year you will be posting lots of pics with descriptions that say, "... made with tomatoes from our garden."    :)

Edited to add: The corn sounds, and looks, delicious! 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5