• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

There could be no question but that some of these tomatoes from my daughter's garden would appear on my dinner plate! Here they are with basil also from her garden, salt and a drizzle of reduced balsamic. Chicken thighs from Air fryer. 

Could you compare thighs from PAF to thighs from CSO?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On August 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM, mgaretz said:

@Shel_Bis the one who originally turned us on to this method, if memory serves.  It works great.  The secret, I've discovered, is to slice the end of the corn off far enough into the ear that it's past the bend and just into the slope towards the silk end.  If you cut too close to the stem, it won't slide out easily.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would naturally cut as little off as possible to save waste and wonder why it was not working as easily as claimed. 

On August 14, 2016 at 6:43 PM, robirdstx said:

image.jpeg

Pico de Gallo and Guacamole with Tortilla Chips. I added some of the pico to the guac to kick it up a bit! We also had some refried beans for dipping but they did not make it to the photo op.

image.jpeg

My husband grilled the chicken while I did the veggies.

image.jpeg

Finished dish:

image.jpeg

I want to go eat again looking at this. Nice photos. 

• Like 5

@JoNorvelleWalker

chicken thighs have crispier skin when done in Cuisinart Steam Oven compared to Phillips Air Fryer. Otherwise pretty similar. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I narrowly averted one cross cultural catastrophe only to fall into another.  Dinner was rice, sautéed okra, and plain, simple curry.  All (except the Zojirushi rice) from an Indian cookbook I've had for forty five years.

First, I addressed the okra with my Watanabe Nakkiri.  Be it known that I (almost) always use the Nakkiri on my Hinoki cutting board.  Hinoki boards are used wet.  What liquid, you ask, must not come anywhere near okra unless one is Japanese or Cajun?  That's right.

Fortunately I caught myself.

Next I substituted Greek yoghurt (which is what I had) for yoghurt in the curry.  This was a mistake.  Instead of ever so slightly thickened, my curry was about the consistency of ricotta cheese.  Anyway I ate it all.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Next I substituted Greek yoghurt (which is what I had) for yoghurt in the curry.

In my experience Indian yoghurt has about the same consistency as Greek yoghurt. I remember one vendor somewhere in India ladling his product into a cup and then holding the cup upside down to assure me that it was properly set. Not a drop fell out.

When used in something like lassi, it has to be diluted.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonight we got together as an extended family for my nephew's brief visit with us. I can tell you about the food part here.

My brother had a pretty fruit platter, a cracker basket and a cheese plate decorated with strawberries when we arrived at his house. When we walked through the kitchen to the dining room, one of the three dogs there was stretched up on the bar between kitchen and dining room eating from the artfully and meticulously arranged cheese platter. The nephew threw out the strawberries in the center and about half the cheese where the dog had been in it. Then he carefully rearranged the remaining cheese slices on the same plate. Needless to say, I did not partake. :)

We proceeded to the Mexican restaurant where my brother wanted to go. All the front of house knows him on sight, and he knows their names. Alberto was our waiter for the evening and my brother took time to introduce all of us by first name and relationship to him. He paused awkwardly when introducing my sister's ex-husband, and then just introduced him by his first name only. I know he still considers him BIL, like I do, but with my sister sitting there... Well you know how it is. 

My brother's the only one who got good service. It's usual to get bad service with a large party. I've seen much worse. The food I ordered was pretty bad, and I left most of it on the plate. It's highly unusual for my cheapass self to not get a to go box. The cheese enchilada was really excellent, however, and I would go back for a plate of them.

I knew the cake would probably be ignored when brother asked me to make one. That's why I wanted to make cookies the nephew could take with him. That is exactly what happened. No one went back to the brother's house for cake and ice cream. Many had long drives out of town, and my husband had to work, as did many others. We went home directly from the restaurant. So I really don't know if the nephew enjoyed or even got to see my humble creation. He has to drive to Vermont and be there by 5:30 PM tomorrow. He'll be getting up at 2:00 AM. As I write this, he will have been on the road three hours already.

So the food part kinda sucked, but the company was priceless! :)

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

I needed a big steak last night.  Silver Queen, hash browns (I baked a bunch of taters in the steam boy because they were going to be bad soon) AND AND AND the first (and maybe only) tomato from our garden.  It was heavenly.

P8171269.JPG

• Like 17

Fagioli corallo al pomodoro. Cipriani tagliarelle.

DSCN0730a_600.jpg

Made w/ Arbequina EV olive oil, a Vidalia onion, garlic, hot red chile flakes, Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes, flat pole beans, salt, basil.

On the way there.

DSCN0718a_300.jpgDSCN0721b_300.jpg

DSCN0722a_300.jpgDSCN0726a_300.jpg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

In my experience Indian yoghurt has about the same consistency as Greek yoghurt. I remember one vendor somewhere in India ladling his product into a cup and then holding the cup upside down to assure me that it was properly set. Not a drop fell out.

When used in something like lassi, it has to be diluted.

I probably should have used a lot less of the Greek yoghurt and/or a lot more water.  I'm not even sure more water would have helped.  This is a recipe I've made many times for many years using American supermarket plain yoghurt.

Having never been to India I do not dispute the consistency of Indian yoghurt.  However this book was written for an American audience by an American (originally from India) in 1968.  In the 1960's there was no Greek yoghurt in stores.  The book's recipe for making yoghurt calls for mixing lukewarm milk with a small amount of plain yoghurt and letting sit overnight.  There is no straining mentioned.

Or possibly what you or the Greeks think of as Greek yoghurt is different from the highly strained Greek yogurt here?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric

that goulash looks terrific.  bet the pairing of pork and SP is terrific.

would you share your Rx ?   looks like a very nice meal for the late fall here.  if it ever comes.

Sure, I browned off the meat, fried diced onions and garlic, sprinkled with smoked paprika, added tomato paste, tomato passata and chicken stock. Put the pork back, simmer for an hour, add cubed sweet potato, simmer another 40 minutes, then reduce sauce and stir in sour cream.

• Like 4

Spicy pork ribs marinated in a mix of soy, Shaohxing wine, chilli, garlic and honey, baked for two hours at 160 C.

Carrot batons go in for the last 30 minutes, plus stir fried green beans with garlic, steamed rice and a little kimchi.

image.jpeg

• Like 14

I got a small pork shoulder roast the other day and asked Charlie if he'd like a regular slow cooker pork roast, carnitas, BBQ pulled pork in the smoker or spicy pork bulgogi.  He said he was surprised I needed to ask.  We are having pork bulgogi.  The table is set and waiting for him to get home. I expect him any minute.

DSCN3707.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13

I recently used a Umami DryBag to dry age a boneless choice rib loin for 23 days.  I had wet aged it for about 40 days prior.  Just portioned it out and cooked one steak tonight.  I ended up cooking it SV @ 133f for 90 min. Seared it in a cast iron skillet with some butter and pulled out my searzal which I haven't used in a long time to hit one side while the other was searing in the butter.  Sides were a salad with corn and chickpeas and roasted beets with French feta 

i wasn't thrilled with the texture from the SV method.  The next one will go on the gas grill or  CI skillet

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, jvalentino said:

Orecchiette w sausage, baby broccoli and crispy lemon. Tasty.

image.jpeg

That looks and sounds fabulous!  Would you consider saying a bit more about how you put this together?  Particularly the crispy lemon part?  I've added lemon zest to this sort of dish before but this looks so much more interesting and flavorful.  Thanks!

• Like 2