• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

I would have posted this an hour ago, but after eating it I needed a shower before I was willing to touch my camera or anything else, then I got distracted.

crab.jpg

Blue crabs ("flower crabs" is the literal translation of the Chinese) stir fried with ginger, garlic, shallots, white chilli pepper, then finished with soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and coriander leaf/cilantro. Hot, spicy and messy. Can only really be eaten with the fingers.

I used to deal with the shells using my teeth, but dental issues have taken over and now I use an instrument of torture. I think it was actually designed and sold as a nutcracker, but no one told the crabs, so it's OK.

Served with steamed loofah with garlic, and rice. And a pack of wet wipes.

luffa.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
Missed one ingredient. I knew something was missing. (log)
  • Like 21

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This weekend my brother came over, so I made a dish he likes for supper. 

A pad-thai inspired stir fry of sorts. Rice noodles, stir-fired semi-soft tofu, some stir fried shrimps plenty of vegetables - charred cabbage, bean sprouts,  scallions. Sauce has generous amount of tamarind for acidic kick and a touch of peanut butter (not traditional, but I figure that if a topping of peanuts is good, then the butter will help spread the flavor around).

20150828_125737.jpg20150828_130011.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 20

~ Shai N.

another HHH day here so at 5 am roasted two chicken breasts  along with a mess of carrots, red potatoes and sweet potatoes to fit in with Johnnybirdhave to deal with 's new diet.  I can reheat the veg or not.... make a potato salad...cut the meat off the bone and make a salad or sandwich,,,,I have yellow and green squash that I love to saute with some onion and garlic and some red leaf lettuce from a local farm to make a salad bowl....

I SO  feel for those who have to deal with this kind of heat and humidity all the time....

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hot here as well.  Tonight I will be marinating a pork roast so that I can roast it off in the wee hours of the am.  Also picked up some lovely patty pans at the farmers market- great dinner for tomorrow!  Basil is coming in so I see pesto in my future this week.  I freeze it in ice cube trays to make it last through most of the year.

• Like 5

Old-fashioned Southern Sunday dinner:

sunday dinner 0814.jpg

Fresh corn, tomatoes from the back yard, roast chicken (details on the CSO thread) and fresh purple-hulled peas with tomato relish. A fine repast, if I did cook it myownself.

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What I know anyone can know. My heart is mine alone.

pOfe16P.jpg

Normally I just eat my liver "nach Berlinerart"/Berlin style. Today I do what I please. Well, OK, any day, really.

gJmVJlr.jpg

Got a few things from the Turkish butcher yesterday i.e. figs, goat heart and liver and more. Liver is never photogenic, fig slices or a pile of fried onions will make it look better. Taste is mild, hardly any trace of goat.

I6qN7Q9.jpg

--------

PS: it's been some time since I posted on this thread. My commitment to photographic excellence is almost zero this summer. It's gone, temporarily. I mean this cooking-and-photographing lark. It's been upsetting being someone who enjoys both eating and photography. I hope it returns soon.

• Like 10

Oh @BonVivant

Please say it isn't so. Your food and your photography are so inspiring!  Goat heart and goat liver?  I would love to try them. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On August 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM, ninagluck said:

today it was far too cold for August, so I decided to make some soup. cream of chanterelle, parsley jelly, chanterelle tartar, quails egg, crispy ham. 

IMG_2094.JPG

Beautiful dish. Way to go!

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Now that I know how to make corn in the microwave and pour it out of its husk clean and ready to eat it is likely to show up on my dinner plate much more often!   This corn was a gift and oh so good.

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Now that I know how to make corn in the microwave and pour it out of its husk clean and ready to eat it is likely to show up on my dinner plate much more often!   This corn was a gift and oh so good.

Okay, I'll bite... How does one make corn in the microwave (I've only made it on the grill)?

• Like 1

Damn can't remember where we discussed it. But basically you cook the corn in the microwave with husk still on. You then slice off the base of the cob and the corn slides out free of husk and silk.  I hope someone else can give a link.  We discussed it quite recently. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

NY Strip with sauteed mushrooms and roasted cauliflower German "potato" salad.

The veg was the star here. Really great. Oven roasted cauliflower dressed with a mix of sauteed onion/bacon/dijon/sugar/salt/pepper/jalapeno vinegar and a little Wondra.

046.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 18

Tonight was all from Modernist Cuisine vol 5.  It's pulled BBQ Pork made with Kansas City BBQ.  Fried Pickles and the baked beans.  It's the first time I've tried 72 hour pork and this is how I'll make pulled pork from now on!  The Beans were a bit too strong until we remember to add the sherry vinegar and that made them off the charts good.  The fried pickles are just dream like, we each ate about 60g of them.  Needless to say I'll be enjoying left overs for a few days.  I'll post details of the process in the MC thread.

20160814_180716.jpg

• Like 18

Today is father's day in Brasil. We had a special family meal

IMG_20160814_181936.jpg

I made shrimp conchiglioni, with tomato sauce. 
Unfortunaly is winter in Brazil and the tomatoes are a little green. So I used italians pomodoro pelati and tomato sauce with the natural tomatoes.

Conchiglioni is hard to fit on plate, so I used zuchinni rings under then .

IMG_20160814_182231.jpg

A good Olive Oil and cooked shrimps

IMG_20160814_182352.jpg

Filling conchiglioni with tomato sauce, requeijão a brazilian cream cheese and shrimp

IMG_20160814_101309134.jpg

Ready for oven with mozzarella

IMG_20160814_110236510.jpg

Edited by Auro (log)
  • Like 24

Learning

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Damn can't remember where we discussed it. But basically you cook the corn in the microwave with husk still on. You then slice off the base of the cob and the corn slides out free of husk and silk.  I hope someone else can give a link.  We discussed it quite recently. 

Wow, I've never heard of this. I've microwaved with a wet towel around it after its been shucked and cleaned. The silk is the reason we don't do corn on the cob more often. I'll def try this. Thanks. 

image.jpeg

Pico de Gallo and Guacamole with Tortilla Chips. I added some of the pico to the guac to kick it up a bit! We also had some refried beans for dipping but they did not make it to the photo op.

image.jpeg

My husband grilled the chicken while I did the veggies.

image.jpeg

Finished dish:

image.jpeg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Gunnsr42 said:

Wow, I've never heard of this. I've microwaved with a wet towel around it after its been shucked and cleaned. The silk is the reason we don't do corn on the cob more often. I'll def try this. Thanks. 

@Shel_Bis the one who originally turned us on to this method, if memory serves.  It works great.  The secret, I've discovered, is to slice the end of the corn off far enough into the ear that it's past the bend and just into the slope towards the silk end.  If you cut too close to the stem, it won't slide out easily.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Cuisinart Steam Oven chicken thigh, sorry @Anna N unable to be attributed roast potatoes, thirty second green beans -- this time perfectly fresh and crunchy.

I dropped some of the roast potato and was tempted to invoke the five second rule, but if you knew my kitchen floor you would not.  No mind, there was no lack.

Served with Soave* and a little Shubert.

*My dear daughter in law and granddaughter just helped me cart home two cases.

Edit:  large grandchildren are a blessing.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou