• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

A bit of a using stuff up dinner. But with two clams.

Fried rice with two chillies (red and green), Shaoxing wine, egg, garlic, black fermented beans, scallion, regular clams and razor clams.

rice.jpg

Followed by an attempt to use up a surfeit of peaches from here. Peach crumble.

I did try to make this look pretty, but failed. Still it tasted just as I planned.

crumble.jpg

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Looks like tenderloin, but it's entrecote.  I bought a very low fat beef entrecote, and changed the cut for a high steak

IMG_20160806_194342.jpg

The salt was sal de maras. A Salt from the Incas at Peru. From de Andes Mountain Range.

IMG_20160806_194510.jpg

The sauce was a chimichurri ( a Argentine spice mix) mayonnaise, add my liked spices.

IMG_20160806_194651.jpg

IMG_20160806_191025949.jpg

IMG_20160806_191240928.jpg

Edited by Auro (log)
  • Like 18

Learning

It was all about the tops

Seriously it was.   When I see bunches of carrots with tops I think they look so good,  but what to do with the tops.  I've cooked them like greens but while good I was looking for more.   That's when I ran across the Michel Richard's recipe for braised carrots in an orange sauce with a carrot top purée.   It looked so good I had to give it a try.    I have to say the results were worth the effort.  It was a nice foil to mashed potatoes with shaved brussel sprouts and wild sockeye salmon.  

The flavor of the carrot top sauce was really good and enhanced the carrots so well.  

image.jpeg

• Like 18

Cuban pork, lechon asado, one of our staple foods, with garlic sauce and pickled red onion on Bolillo rolls. 

20160806_174147.jpg

20160806_182324.jpg

• Like 15

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Stuffed cabbage with fresh tomatoes. One of the many, many ways I like to have tomatoes is to slice them up on a plate, hit them with a little garlic powder, dried basil and dill and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and add a pinch of kosher salt, then put them in the wine fridge to chill about an hour before dinner. They start disappearing pretty quickly.

HC

IMG_1648.JPGIMG_1649.JPGIMG_1654.JPG

• Like 15

I spent a happy morning de-podding some fresh cranberry beans instead of working.

bean podding.jpg

cranberry beans.jpg

These, as is my habit, I boiled with some garlic until tender ( they go so well together),  but also took the less usual step of adding a couple of these so-called white chillies..In fact, they are pale green and hot.

White Chilli Peppers.jpg

Later, I braised some chicken legs with shallots, olives, coriander/cilantro. Then served the lot with rice and a simple tomato mint salad.

dinner.jpg

Followed by what remained of last night's peach crumble.

crumble2.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Haven't had time to catch up with the wonderful food....

recently made a shrimp with jeweled vegetables and served it over rice .... steamed broccoli florets, carrots and snow peas.

as requested pasta with roasted vegetables and chicken.

unfortunately Johnnybird seems to have now developed a gluten intolerance so about anything he likes (pizza...pasta...bread...French toast...pancakes) now gives him a horrible time.  I had to learn to cook lactose free a few years ago and now a new challenge....

including no corn, rice or fibrous vegetables..........

last night was a salmon with very soft veg and rice noodle salad

any ideas please pm me

for tonight John is going with a friend to see Paul McCartney.  About 4 pm dinner for them: bison burgers(bun for the friend and naked for John), potato salad with peas and scallions, green salad for his friend and me.  Snack for after the concert will be a small container of fresh peanut butter for protein then some potato chips( he doesn't like a peanut sauce on noodles).  The best I can do till I can get to the library for books and the grocery for what I can find....

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie caught some fish yesterday to go with my fried okra :D

photo.JPG

and give me the green squash and mac and cheese, please

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

After six weeks,more or less, away from home and a very long drive, dinner needed to be simple and fast.  Roasted beans… Even the yellow ones are tolerable when roasted.

But I'm still hungry.   If I get a second wind I will go looking for something more to eat. Grocery shopping is going to be a high priority.

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner tonight was pork chops with a Neapolitan sauce, scalloped potatoes with mushrooms and some unripe peaches improved with a little time in a skillet with some brown sugar and butter.  Actually the peaches felt like they were almost too ripe but the sure didn't taste like it until they got cooked a little.

DSCN3692.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

Hatch green chile and pecan smoked chicken enchiladas. Home made refried beans and Spanish rice.

13938624_1721330321452779_5301441667946384418_n.jpg

13872796_1721330308119447_4312920789472350848_n.jpg

HATCH!  This sounds  and looks SO good.  Gotta get my order in this week for chiles.

• Like 1

Tonight I made a Mexican street corn steak salad.  Charred the corn and used the typical ingredients that are smeared on the street corn in the dressing which is not shown in the photo.  The steak was the small end pieces from prepping a whole tenderloin 

image.jpeg

• Like 12

A pasta dish.

DSCN0541c_600.jpg

Spaghetti & linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] w/ Hazan tomato sauce.

Kale.

DSCN0548a_600.jpg

Young kale [Nading Farm], de-ribbed, torn into pieces, blanched in the water after cooking the pasta, w/ some oil added; then dressed w/ Bulldog tonkatsu sauce & white pepper.

The sauce in progress.

DSCN0531a_500.jpg

Tomatoes [Van Antwerp Farm Market] blanched, skinned, cut in half/torn apart, deseeded; with liquids from forcing jelly through a metal sieve plus drippings.

DSCN0539a_500.jpg

Cooking down, with added butter & Maldon salt, and after blitzing w/ a stick blender. 

• Like 14

Blueberry pancakes, Jimmy Dean hot sausage with added sage, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (for my portion only). Over easy eggs and very nice cantaloupe my brother brought over already cut into chunks. Tobasco sauce for my eggs.

I had a 6 leftover pancakes that I wrapped well and froze. These can be reheated from frozen in the toaster, just like the ones from the grocer's freezer. Unlike the commercial ones, these were made with lots of real blueberries.

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

IMG_8059.JPG

5 cups cold water, 1 quart cranberry beans, a couple of sprigs each of summer savory and chervil, a glug of extra-virgin olive oil, and a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.

Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower to a bare simmer. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until beans are tender.

IMG_8113.JPG

40 minutes later. These beans will cool in their broth. Half will be used tonight, and the remainder throughout the week.

IMG_8122.JPG

2 lbs. mussels. 

Clean them under cold running water by pulling off their beards. Set aside.

IMG_8126.JPG

In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine 1 cup white wine and mussels. Cover. Steam until mussels open, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer mussels to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Discard any mussels that didn't open. Remove mussel meat from shells and set aside.

Strain mussel broth from the pot through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Reserve broth. You should have approx. 1 1/2 cups mussel broth.

IMG_8128.JPG

Clockwise from lower right: 3 flat-leaf parsley sprigs; kosher salt; 3 thinly-sliced garlic cloves; 1/2 bunch parsley, minced; 1 1/2 cups mussel broth; 1/4 cup pinot grigio; 1/4 cup dry sherry.

IMG_8119.JPG

About 1 quart cooked cranberry beans.

I ended up using 3/4 of this amount.

IMG_8131.JPG

Warm olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium low heat. Add garlic to the cold oil -- garlic will infuse oil as the oil warms.

IMG_8134.JPG

Fry garlic until it turns opaque or off-white, about 30 seconds. Add parsley sprigs. Fry until it wilts, about 15-20 seconds.

IMG_8135.JPG

Add white wine and sherry. Simmer so that the alcohol evaporates, about 1-2 minutes.

IMG_8139.JPG

Add the cranberry beans and the mussel broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.

IMG_8148.JPG

Remove from heat, then add the mussel meat and about 3/4 of the minced parsley. Return pan to stove and warm mussels over medium-low heat so that you don't overcook them. Overcooked mussels are tough, like edible rubber. Don't do it.

IMG_8163.JPG

Ladle mussel stew into bowls. Taste for salt. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, top with the remaining parsley, then serve immediately.

Mussel stew with cranberry beans, adapted from "The Basque Book" by Alexandra Raij with Eder Montero, page 151. Original recipe uses white beans such as pochas.

IMG_8170.JPG

Our vegetable side consisted of broccoli rabe cooked with garlic and peperoncini.

IMG_8175.JPG

Dessert was a slice of peach and nectarine galette.  The walkthrough for this was posted in the Breakfast! thread earlier today.

B remarked that it was "perfect", especially the buttery, flaky pastry.  It looks like my next foray will be a savory version but such will have to wait until after next week's trip to the magical kingdom of Las Vegas (better known as "Disneyland for adults").

• Like 12

Seldom I eat out.  But yesterday I was dining with my grandkids.  In the middle of the night I took very, very ill.  I don't quite know how to say this, but so ill that tonight I ordered new sheets and a mattress cover.  Thankfully I have a sleeping bag and much bleach.  I spent about an hour in the shower.  Perchance it was the clams?

Tonight was chicken Marsala, so far without ill effect.  Plus at the moment a goodly glass of Colonel E.H. Taylor to be sure.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seldom I eat out.  But yesterday I was dining with my grandkids.  In the middle of the night I took very, very ill.  I don't quite know how to say this, but so ill that tonight I ordered new sheets and a mattress cover.  Thankfully I have a sleeping bag and much bleach.  I spent about an hour in the shower.  Perchance it was the clams?

Tonight was chicken Marsala, so far without ill effect.  Plus at the moment a goodly glass of Colonel E.H. Taylor to be sure.

Much sympathy. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog