• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

How's this for a lopsided meal; green beans, and chocolate.

Steamed green beans dressed with walnut oil, lemon, smoked salt and a good grating of bottarga:

13925074_10154386330059122_1125464000136689606_n (1).jpg

And then I made chocolate rocks; white chocolate ganache, shaped in a polymer pebble mould, dipped in more white chocolate and then into 30 Celsius water mixed through with droplets of black oil-based food colouring.

Chocolate rocks. Video here.

13935009_10154386467499122_2857321532871226982_n.jpg

13876685_10154386467524122_1101999252700440189_n.jpg

• Like 20

@rarerollingobject

Whew!  At first I thought I was looking at chocolate shavings on green beans! Even for you that might be a bridge beyond. Chocolate pebbles look like fun. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Come to think of it, I can get head on shrimp at my seafood shop, and I have never sucked a shrimp head. Some say it is great, and I'm certainly willing to try it.

Consider trying something like this:)

Salt-and-Pepper shrimp with intact shell-on whole shrimp done so they are crispy might be another way that might appeal - you eat everything, heads and shells and legs, crunch crunch, without peeling, and you get a nice dose of chitin. ;)

(ETA: Yes, I've posted various dishes with whole entire shrimp in a SE/E Asian style - but you comment that it is not really something that you would really do)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I freeze braised red cabbage in dinner sized portions all the time and it works very well.

Good to know. Red cabbage very soon. With latkes and some kind of good sausage. Too damn hot to do braised meat (I know I could cook it in the IP, but it's too hot to EAT braised meat).

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Meatloaf casserole made from the leftovers.  Basically the meatloaf cut into smallish chunks with noodles and a ketchup-based sauce that mirrors the ketchup-based glaze on the meatloaf., topped with panko.  The sauce/glaze was ketchup, BBQ sauce and white sugar for both, but the casserole sauce had less sugar.

mlc.jpg

I had never thought of using leftover meat loaf in a casserole; I always go with ML sandwiches with (per Rotuts) a good, runny Brie. This intrigues me. I think it'd work in a shepherd's pie, too.

3 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

How's this for a lopsided meal; green beans, and chocolate.

Steamed green beans dressed with walnut oil, lemon, smoked salt and a good grating of bottarga:

13925074_10154386330059122_1125464000136689606_n (1).jpg

And then I made chocolate rocks; white chocolate ganache, shaped in a polymer pebble mould, dipped in more white chocolate and then into 30 Celsius water mixed through with droplets of black oil-based food colouring.

Chocolate rocks. Video here.

13935009_10154386467499122_2857321532871226982_n.jpg

13876685_10154386467524122_1101999252700440189_n.jpg

Sounds like a perfectly balanced meal to me.

Am finally going to get around to the create-my-meal challenge for this evening, being as I'm actually going to be home.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last night we had pork tenderloin with a cider sauce (Epicurious)  two-potato gratin (Bon Appetit) and a salad.  That salad crops up a lot.  There isn't much to it, just tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots which is marinated in nothing but seasoned rice vinegar, but we really like it.  The night before we had chicken satay risotto.  No picture because, as you can imagine, it looked like an unappetizing blob although it was tasty enough.

20160803_194833.jpg

• Like 18

A rare fail. Hawaiian steak, with baked potato, roasted garlic & broccoli and fennel slaw.

I marinated the steaks following a recipe given on the create my meal thread. The marinade was pineapple juice, soy, ginger, chopped onion, sugar and sesame oil. The steak was tender, but way too fruity for me. 

image.jpeg

• Like 12

Tonight we had roast beef, and I'm not sure what cut it was, but it looked and ate like a strip loin.  It had not been labeled before it went into the freezer.  In any event, I cooked it sous vide for a couple of hours, sprinkled it with Okanagancook's Magic Browning Powder and seared it.  That powder is amazing.  We had the beef with roasted parmesan potatoes, carrots, corn and a bit of gravy.

20160804_194408.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Brine d this fella for a day before the BBQing.

WP_20160803_16_07_34_Pro.jpg

The Whiskey was for me.

I said to my husband "That's a pretty suggestive picture." He said."Yes, but I' not sure what it's suggesting. And I'm not sure I want to know."

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I took delivery of a quarter of organic hogget from 200 yards down the road today (if you ignore the trip to the abbatoir). decent size half leg, rolled breast, chunky chops, shoulder chops, 2 big packs of neck for stew.  £36. Will see how they taste. Cheaper than supermarket lamb would have been for sure.

Edited by Tere (log)
  • Like 7

Lotus root soup.

DSCN0496a_600.jpg

Water, pork spare ribs, lotus root slices, Solomon's Seal rhizome slices, black jujubes, honey jujubes, goji berries, longan flesh, raw peanuts, sea salt.

ETA: ...and a couple of small dried whole cuttlefish. (NB: dried cuttlefish has a very different taste profile from fresh cuttlefish, for those who are unfamiliar with it)

A rice plate.

DSCN0499b_600.jpg

Stir-fry w/ peanut oil, garlic, minced pork, fish sauce, pattypan squashes, hon-mirin, sea salt, green & yellow French filet beans, Chinese long beans, water, Thai basil.  White rice.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 9

I was pretty damn hungry after skipping dinner last night since I was having an echo-cardiogram and nuclear- isotope-whatever for breakfast/brunch.  You would think, for what they charge, that they could at least give you a decent cup of coffee prior to the second trip through the scanner.  Although I'll admit that a nice cappuccino would have made it a little harder to stay still.  

My wife is in rehab from hip replacement surgery and I have lot, figuratively on the plate, so dinner was a vege, heart friendly, affair.  Fried green tomatoes and eggplant, served with a dab of remoulade, and kick a** yellow squash salad.  The salad included greek olives and olive oil, red onion, bulgarian feta, mint, parsley, and red wine vinegar. And some nice tomatoes as a back stop.  

rP1040952.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, sartoric said:

Oooh, what are they, they look kind of scampi-ish ?

It's a shame we're so pc now that you can't chase the staff while holding a wriggly one, with someone else taking photos.

Just the good old Aussie yabby!

And no comment on the second bit.. :P (Though I HAVE already declined two requests to hold a "Friday afternoon office yabby race"..!)

• Like 6

14 hours ago, huiray said:

Consider trying something like this:)

Salt-and-Pepper shrimp with intact shell-on whole shrimp done so they are crispy might be another way that might appeal - you eat everything, heads and shells and legs, crunch crunch, without peeling, and you get a nice dose of chitin. ;)

(ETA: Yes, I've posted various dishes with whole entire shrimp in a SE/E Asian style - but you comment that it is not really something that you would really do)

huiray,

The salt and pepper shrimp sounds very interesting, and I've heard of shrimp fried in their shells that are intended to be eaten shell and all. I actually have eaten deep fried shrimp with tail on, which is common here, and the tail is crunchy and will crumble under you teeth. Stir fried shrimp like I cooked last night do not get the shell to that state, as I found when I discovered a small piece of shell I missed and had to pick out. It is very tough and inedible. "Get out of the kitchen!", I can hear G. Ramsey screaming. :) So I would infer that you are talking about a deep or shallow fried dish. I would appreciate your instruction as to how to achieve this edible crisp shell without making the flesh of the shrimp overcooked and rubbery. You and liuzhou and RRO have definitely swayed me to try head on shrimp. Also I am not averse to it, but I almost always have to consider at least one other person I am cooking for who is. This is also the reason I rarely get to venture into Indian food and other interesting to me, areas I would love to explore more of.

I'm just taking advantage of a rare opportunity to cook something to please only myself while my hubby chows down on his boring and greasy fried fish order from the seafood monger. They do not blot the oil on towels, like I do, and occasionally the oil could be fresher, but he's oblivious. This presents the opportunity for me to bring some fresh seafood home and only have to worry about myself for once. :)

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <