• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

i-Trt9Cgt-L.jpg 

I've been on the road. I come home to rutabaga, cornbread, and soup beans, I browned the yard bird, and added onion and pepper vinegar to the beans. Butter to the bread, of course.

Edited by Spork (log)
  • Like 11

16 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

The shrimp cocktail shown is this thread does insult the inner culinarian in me. If one does not have access to the freshest of shrimp, why would one choose to make a shrimp cocktail?

Then, just look away.  Very few have access to fresh shrimp.  

• Like 16

Some meals.

Pork spare ribs & daikon soup.

DSCN0425b_600.jpg

Oil, garlic, onions, short-cut pork spare ribs, water, chicken stock, daikon batons, cabbage, fish sauce, this-and-that. Served w/ softened mei fun & chopped scalions.

Fresh-made tamales from Carniceria Morelos.

DSCN0429a_600.jpg

DSCN0431a_500.jpg

Pork w/ red chili sauce (shown opened up above), chicken w/ green chili sauce, cheese w/ jalapeños. Eaten w/ scallions & Hot Giardiniera [DeVanco Foods]

Beef short ribs braised w/ stuff.

DSCN0439a_600.jpg

Beef short ribs [from Carniceria Morelos], browned; finely chopped yellow carrots & leafy celery stems [both Silverthorn Farm] and red & yellow onions [Fields Farm Fresh] sautéed & browned; water, sea salt, simmer; yellow carrots (and red) (color fades) cut into sticks, leafy parts of leafy celery, generous fresh oregano & thyme (from deck), high-gelatin chicken stock, dried bay leaves; simmer. Seasoning adjusted.

Served with and over Cipriani tagliarelle.

Plus green & yellow French filet beans [Full Hand Farm] sautéed w/ Maussane-les-Alpilles Fruité Noir olive oil (this one) & sea salt.

DSCN0443b_500.jpg

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight we had Japanese pork curry over rice.  I have never made this before and if fact, only heard about it recently.  Never know there was such a thing.   Given that I was in the privacy of my own home, I licked the plate clean.  This was some good.

20160731_200719.jpg

Did you use S & B Golden Curry mix ? I have one in the cupboard which might see the light today.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

The shrimp cocktail shown is this thread does insult the inner culinarian in me. If one does not have access to the freshest of shrimp, why would one choose to make a shrimp cocktail?

You know, one reason this site is so much fun is that we do not insult each other.  I second @Okanagancook - look away.

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight we had Japanese pork curry over rice.  I have never made this before and if fact, only heard about it recently.  Never know there was such a thing.   Given that I was in the privacy of my own home, I licked the plate clean.  This was some good. 

8 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Did you use S & B Golden Curry mix ? I have one in the cupboard which might see the light today.

@sartoric, d'you mean this one, or a tin of powder? I've never used this, maybe I'll look for this the next time I'm in my local Japanese grocery.

@ElsieDkarē raisu is one of the most popular dishes in all of Japan. :-) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, huiray said:

@sartoric, d'you mean this one, or a tin of powder? I've never used this, maybe I'll look for this the next time I'm in my local Japanese grocery.

@ElsieDkarē raisu is one of the most popular dishes in all of Japan. :-) 

@huiray, that's the one, although mine comes in a 100g packet. 

47 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

I am sorry  that I may have insulted you. What exactly are you suggesting those of us who do not live in shrimp country do when we want shrimp cocktail?

HC

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

Fresh shrimp can likely be found if you take your sourcing seriously. After all, east coast oysters are available on the west coast, and vice versa.

If one does not have access to local, fresh shrimp, one should find an alternative meal. The most important weapon in a serious culinarians arsenal is top-tier product. This means products should be fresh, organic, local, and ideally biodynamic.

What if one is not a serious culinarian ? Some of just like to eat and have fun.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

Fresh shrimp can likely be found if you take your sourcing seriously. After all, east coast oysters are available on the west coast, and vice versa.

If one does not have access to local, fresh shrimp, one should find an alternative meal. The most important weapon in a serious culinarians arsenal is top-tier product. This means products should be fresh, organic, local, and ideally biodynamic.

Biodynamic seafood???

Well, I like shrimp so I buy the very best shrimp I can get and it is frozen but wild caught, not farmed....not too bad.  No it is not off the boat shrimp, although in June I may be able to get my hands on some fresh spot prawns from Vancouver but I have to special order them and who knows how old they are when I get them here  4 1/2 hours away.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

I think you are on the wrong forum.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, sartoric said:

@huiray, that's the one, although mine comes in a 100g packet. 

My package is the one @huiray pictured.  It was also medium hot which is not hot at all.  I had done some googling and as a result, added about 1 T each of ketchup and Katsu sauce and some ginger and garlic to the caramelized onions.  I also grated 1/2 an apple into it.  By the way, my adjustments were made ro a recipe scaled down for two people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

My package is the one @huiray pictured.  It was also medium hot which is not hot at all.  I had done some googling and as a result, added about 1 T each of ketchup and Katsu sauce and some ginger and garlic to the caramelized onions.  I also grated 1/2 an apple into it.  By the way, my adjustments were made ro a recipe scaled down for two people.

Thanks @ElsieD. Mine is the same, medium hot, I figured I'd need to add more heat. I like the grated apple idea too.

Thanks to @Shelby for her venison cooking advice!!! Slow cooked a venison roast with some beef broth, wine, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, and various seasonings. Thickened up the juices and pulled the cooked venison roast. Heated a portion back up to serve with noodles this evening. Planning on some drip venison sandwiches for lunches during the week -- those are some leftovers that I am looking forward too. :)

IMG_4513-pulled-venison-lowres.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Winston Jefferson said:

Because if you aren't close to the freshest of shrimp you have to quench your inner desires somehow.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, curls said:

Thanks to @Shelby for her venison cooking advice!!! Slow cooked a venison roast with some beef broth, wine, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, and various seasonings. Thickened up the juices and pulled the cooked venison roast. Heated a portion back up to serve with noodles this evening. Planning on some drip venison sandwiches for lunches during the week -- those are some leftovers that I am looking forward too. :)

IMG_4513-pulled-venison-lowres.jpg

This looks awesome.  It looks like you did the venison perfect--very tender.  Good job!!!!  My husband will be craving this when I show him your meal :)  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It was also medium hot which is not hot at all.

5 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Mine is the same, medium hot, I figured I'd need to add more heat.

Heh. Probably "medium hot" insofar as Japanese tastes go. :-)  One recalls that hot/spicy food - in the South & SE Asian sense and other places where spicy dishes have seriously high Scoville units attached to them - are not that well tolerated by Japanese folks by-and-large (in my understanding). Japanese curry, as adapted by the Japanese, definitely has a distinct sweet taste and is mild by the standards of folks like you two and others who eat more spicy food. :-) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winston Jefferson said:

Can you please provide us with the tortilla source? Thank you.

I recognize those tortillas. That distinct browning pattern can only be from once source. A Mexican nun gathers the ingredients in the evening, makes the tortillas by hand during the night and delivers them via bicycle in the morning. You can only get them on the third Thursday of the month during July, August and September. If she doesn't deliver to your area, it's probably better to just not eat tortillas at all.

• Like 17

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If your looking for stewed okra and tomatoes keep moving.  Fresh, tender okra cooked until just "al dente" in pan juices from roasted chicken thighs and homemade Toulouse sausage.  Added fresh tomatoes and cooked just long enough to warm but not render to much juice.  Served on jasmine rice topped with shrimp, feta, and jalapeno. 

rP1040936.jpg

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

If your looking for stewed okra and tomatoes keep moving.  Fresh, tender okra cooked until just "al dente" in pan juices from roasted chicken thighs and homemade Toulouse sausage.  Added fresh tomatoes and cooked just long enough to warm but not render to much juice.  Served on jasmine rice topped with shrimp, feta, and jalapeno. 

rP1040936.jpg

Stunning Steve

44 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I recognize those tortillas. That distinct browning pattern can only be from once source. A Mexican nun gathers the ingredients in the evening, makes the tortillas by hand during the night and delivers them via bicycle in the morning. You can only get them on the third Thursday of the month during July, August and September. If she doesn't deliver to your area, it's probably better to just not eat tortillas at all.

Oh my god - I got those once - haven't been able to bring myself to buy any other tortilla since!

• Like 11

6 hours ago, sartoric said:

I'd like to know what the "smothering" consists of, anyone ? Looks delicious.

my starting point was this 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/smothered-pork-chops-and-grits.html

I ended up using full cook grits and doing the whole soak method  , switched out to gruyere for the cheese .   

I am somewhat ocd when it comes to browning onions  , so I started with a finely sliced large vidalia that I browned for about 40 mins  on low heat with ghee  and a pinch of kosher salt.  Once I had good colour on it I put aside in a bowl and deglazed with a small amount of cjhicken stock.   wiped out pan to brown the chops  in ghee.   once they were nicely browned pulled them out momentarily while I added  a tbsp of flour to the drippings on bottom of the CI pan and basically made a fast roux, I added the onions back in and a cup of homemade chicken broth and a splash of  a fairly acidic strawberry wine  that is the bottom of a bottle  hanging around  in fridge that I am using for  cooking and about an equal splash of apple cider vinegar. 

I let it simmer to thicken a bit then added the mostly cooked chops back in to finish in what is basically an onion gravy.   

I made a few killer sandwiches with that leftover pork and onion sauce/gravy. 

• Like 9

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow