• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

FrogPrincesse

Drinks! 2016 (Part 1)

On July 30, 2016 at 2:28 AM, lesliec said:

Welcome back, Rafa.  I believe I may make The Man Comes Around in your honour.

Alrighty then - we over here on Manitoulin Unravelled are also honouring Rafa with a 'The Man Comes Around'. The Man has a couple of prostheses - lacking the correct Mezcal and the correct brandy - and using homemade mole bitters. But damn it's a fine drink even allowing for the missing limbs. 

• Like 2

Inspired by the ladies in Manitoulin, I opened my cabinet for the first time in a long time, knocked the dust off of a few bottles and made use of that orange I finally remembered to buy...

eeyore1_zpspih9rct3.jpg

...and it was every bit as good as I remembered. Now I have to do some catching up on those tasty-sounding Rafa creations.

• Like 7

Gin-Gin Mule (Audrey Saunders) with 33 Portland dry gin, lime juice, Reed's extra ginger brew, mint from the garden, rich syrup.

Gin-Gin Mule (Audrey Saunders) with 33 Portland dry gin, lime, Reed's extra ginger brew, mint, rich syrup

• Like 5

A recent 2:1 Martini with 33 Portland dry gin; Dolin dry vermouth; Regan, Fee, Angostura, Berg & Hauck orange bitters. Some bars mix three kinds of orange bitters, so I figured I might as well blend four in my home bar! :)

2:1 Martini with 33 Portland dry gin; Dolin dry vermouth; Regan, Fee, Angostura, Berg & Hauck orange bitters #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #martini #gin

The 33 Portland dry is a gin that is quite similar to a London dry with prominent juniper and pine/evergreen. Less nuanced than something like Sipsmith for example. Still, a very solid gin.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 3

Manhattan with Michter's straight rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Berg & Hauck's Old Time aromatic bitters, French brandied cherry.

I am still a very big fan of the Michter's rye. It's wonderful for mixing and for sipping too.

Manhattan with Michter's straight rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Berg & Hauck's Old Time aromatic bitters #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #manhattan #rye #whiskey

• Like 3

Fish House Punch from a few weeks ago, for a party with a bunch of French friends. This punch is always a big hit. There was nothing left after the party!

Working on a batch of Fish House Punch #punch #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #rum #cognac #calvados

This version had Plantation 5 Stars rum (they just changed the packaging but the juice seems unchanged), Landy VS cognac, Daron XO calvados mixed with Briottet peach liqueur as a sub for the peach brandy, and then of course lemons and sugar.

• Like 1

Sub for Cappeletti Aperitivo? Aperol, maybe? Or a mix of things? Want to try Rafa Unnamed.

• Like 1

While we're waiting on that, I tried the linked Millionaire. 

Enjoyable, but my cheapo sloe gin (relic of the days before I knew what I was doing in a liquor store) did its best to prove the adage that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. 

IMG_2170.png

• Like 2

Brazilian Sunrise

1 1/2 oz cachaca

3.5 oz oj

2 tsp lemon juice

3/4 oz Grenadine

orange slice

Everything over ice cubes except the Grenadine which is poured over top, served with a straw.

no pic sorry

First time having Cachaca......kinda benign

12 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Sub for Cappeletti Aperitivo? Aperol, maybe? Or a mix of things? Want to try Rafa Unnamed.

I would defer to @Rafa of course, but based on what I read, I would go with Campari or maybe your newly acquired Bruto! 

http://www.thekitchn.com/love-campari-youve-got-to-try-cappelletti-203689

Edited by FrogPrincesse Typo (log)

Rafa Unnamed: Used 3/8 oz Bruto Americano + 1/4 oz Vermouth Chinato + 1/4 oz Punt e Mes for the Cappeletti Aperitivo. Wife demanded a second round. Surprisingly, the Apricot didn't taste like a Jolly Rancher.

Cappelletti is not really a synonym for Campari; it's more like a bottled Americano, with the wine notes from a vermouth. Dan's homemade sub sounds like a good way to go in this drink (I've tried it with just Campari and didn't care for it). I do recommend picking up a bottle of the Cappelletti on the sturdy grounds that it's delicious; a taste for it is also apparently a Boston "thing," for what that's worth, or so my Boston-based employers tell me.

• Like 3

I forgot to post this one (and a bunch of others...), but this was a very nice 10:3:2 Daiquiri with Ko Hana white agricole rum.

10:3:2 Daiquiri with Ko Hana white agricole rum #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #rum #daiquiri @kohanarum

• Like 3

An old favorite - the Southside with Sipsmith London dry gin, lime juice, simple syrup, mint, Angostura bitters. Crisp and refreshing. I really love this gin.

Southside with Sipsmith London dry gin, lime juice, simple syrup, mint, Angostura bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #gin #mint

• Like 1

Manhattan inspired by The Normandie Club with Redemption rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Bigallet china-china, Lustau amontillado sherry, Miracle Mile toasted pecan bitters. I used rye instead of scotch and it looks like I forgot the amaretto. It was delicious nonetheless.

Manhattan inspired by The Normandy Club with Redemption rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Bigallet china-china, Lustau amontillado sherry, Mirscle Mile@tossted pecan bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #manhattan #rye #whiskey #sherry#

Edited by FrogPrincesse Remove extra blank lines (log)
  • Like 1

@EvergreenDan Not following... Anyway, the place was opened by Alex Day and David Kaplan of Death & Co (+ Devon Tarby), so I am sure they are well familiar with New York and its boroughs. :)

2 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

@FrogPrincesse Just a joke. That is not a manhattan anymore than a mai tai is a daiquiri.

Sure. It's still a bit Manhattan-esque in the sense that someone who likes a Manhattan would enjoy it and find it familiar. 

As long as it tastes good, right? ... :)

After dinner a Balaclava Special #1, Charles H. Baker Jr.

Kummel and cognac.  Small Hand grenadine.  How could one do better?

At first I was very impressed with your daring garnish, but then I realized I'd misread it as "Small Hand grenade."

• Like 2