• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2016 (Part 1)

FrogPrincesse

8 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

DiMaggio (from Craft & Commerce) with Rittenhouse rye, amaro Montenegro, demerara syrup, absinthe.

Sounds tasty, FP.  And I got a new bottle of Montenegro this very day.

Something like 2/.75/.25/rinse?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Just now, lesliec said:

Sounds tasty, FP.  And I got a new bottle of Montenegro this very day.

Something like 2/.75/.25/rinse?

I do not have an official recipe from them. I went with 2 oz rye, 0.5 oz Montenegro, barspoon demerara, absinthe rinse (5-6 spritzes from my little spray bottle), orange & lemon twists.

• Like 1

The Mixology Monday theme this month is Digestifs

mxmologo.gif

Without trying that hard, I seem to have amassed a decent collection of Italian amari, so my first thought was could several of them be put together to be the feature flavor of a new drink. After a couple of experiments (including rejecting Sfumato in the mix for being too outspoken and Nonino for being too shy), I settled on an even blend of CioCiaro (orange and spices) and del Capo (licorice and herbs). For the base, I turned to a bottle of Spanish brandy I had. With its sherry notes, it seemed particularly fitting for the theme. 

This acid-free concoction is sweet--fittingly so as an after-dinner drink, but the brightening of an expressed lemon peel or two keeps things balanced. I couldn't resist including a brandied cherry which becomes the dessert at the end of the dessert. 

NOTTE BENE

• 2 oz. Spanish brandy
  • 1/2 oz. Amaro CioCiaro
  • 1/2 oz. Vecchio Amaro del Capo
  • generous lemon twist (expressed and discarded)
  • brandied cherry garnish

nottebene.png

Edited by Craig E
rearranged pics (log)
  • Like 5

can I get someone to try something so I can drink vicariously (as I'm in a prohibition nation for another 3 mo.)  a hot drink of sorts,  I have been requested to try to make something seasonal using green tea. So perhaps for a start:

white rum (lets say 2oz)

creme de menthe (1/2oz?)

fill with green tea

candy cane garnish

Gary

Edited by Reed & Thistle (log)

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:12 AM, lindag said:

I'm always on the lookout for very simple, easy to prepare drinks made from ordinary ingredients (no chance of finding those odd liqueurs around these parts).

So when I found this recipe I was glad to have found it, it's very good!!!

Since you enjoyed your first Old Fashioned, you may want to check out the following thread. Lots of suggestions in the same vein!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:48 AM, Reed & Thistle said:

Oh come on someone out there has the ingredients and time to put this together and give me some thoughts on what it still needs.

Gary

I have a lot of stuff in my home bar, but crème de menthe isn't one of them... Sorry, I cannot help you! :)

• Like 3

On 12/9/2016 at 7:31 AM, EvergreenDan said:

@Craig E I tried your del Capo / CioCiaro idea with a mix of cognac and rye because a) I didn't have Spanish brandy on hand and b) cognac alone didn't work. Nice. I wondered how this would be recast as a sour in the Paper Plane model.

Thanks for the idea. I tried this with grapefruit as the citrus (so maybe more in the Balsa Airplane or Esprit d'Escalier model). I also liked the rye idea especially an overproof to punch through the citrus addition, so I split the base with Rittenhouse.

3/4 oz. Rittenhouse rye

3/4 oz. Spanish brandy

3/4 oz. grapefruit juice

1/2 oz. Vecchio Amaro del Capo

1/2 oz. CioCiaro

grapefruit twist

This was tasty, the grapefruit and spices melding well in a Donn's Mix kind of way, leaving a cinnamon tingle. Sweet but not overly so, and very smooth. I served it up, but I can imagine on the rocks it could also be a nice autumn cooler, or even scaled up into a punch.

I think lemon would be worth trying too. 

IMG_2540.png

• Like 1

I bet this could be simplified, but this is pretty great. Stems from the apple brandy Vieux Carre's that I've been making.

1 1/2 oz rye (Bulleitt)

3/4 oz apple brandy (Laird 100)

3/4 oz Bonal

3/8 oz Punt e Mes

3/8 oz dry vermouth (Bossiere)

Luxardo cherry

Big rock

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Three eights?  C'mon, Dan - I have enough trouble with thirds!

But yes, that does sound pretty good, and to my surprise I found some Laird's on sale the other day - never seen it here before.  I might be perilously low on Bonal, another one I've never seen here (mine came back from NY with a friend), but I'll think of something.

Thanks - you've answered the 'what shall we have tonight' question.

• Like 1

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

20 hours ago, lesliec said:

Three eights?  C'mon, Dan - I have enough trouble with thirds!

But yes, that does sound pretty good, and to my surprise I found some Laird's on sale the other day - never seen it here before.  I might be perilously low on Bonal, another one I've never seen here (mine came back from NY with a friend), but I'll think of something.

Thanks - you've answered the 'what shall we have tonight' question.

11.0901 mL

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

11.0901 mL

Even easier - I just made two.  Three quarters I can cope with!

• Like 3

My eG Foodblog

Last night's dessert was this Bah! Humbug! from a recipe printed in the LA Times.  

Since it was described as a 'faux eggnog' cocktail, I posted the details over in the eggnog topic as I thought others might find if helpful if they needed a vegan-friendly eggnog-type drink.

IMG_4289.jpg

Sweet drinks aren't really my thing but it sort of grew on me.  

On 12/18/2016 at 9:18 PM, lesliec said:

Even easier - I just made two.  Three quarters I can cope with!

That's what I did, although for 3/8 is no harder than 3/4 with my Oxo, since it measures 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. Plus with two 3/8 measures, you can just go for 3/4 between the two.

Soooo... Whatdathink?

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

12 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Soooo... Whatdathink?

Not bad, but perhaps needs a touch of sweetness to round it out.  Benedictine?

My eG Foodblog

Whistlepig remains my weakness.  Freezing rain tonight but I shall not be driving.  Be safe everyone.

[Host's note; this topic has been split to reflect the fact that it became 2017!  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou