• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2016 (Part 1)

FrogPrincesse

I've seen and/or tried some tequila/Aperol/Cocchi stirred drinks over the years, decided to do a slight riff on that using my newly acquired bottle of Cappelletti.

1.5 oz reposado tequila (I used the Siembra Azul 10th anniversary, which is really interesting on it's own, lots of methol and burnt rubber notes)

.75 oz Cappelletti

.25 oz Dolin Dry

.25 oz Cocchi Americano

2 dashes Bittermens Mole Bitters

Stir, strain into coupe, grapefruit twist. Pretty damn enjoyable for a cool end-of-summer night.

• Like 2

David Wondrich's Reanimator, which was a recipe that came with my bottle of Nonino: equal parts with rye, plus a lemon twist. A lovely drink, but certainly on the sweet side. Next go 'round I might squeeze a little lemon juice in there, or shift the proportions towards the whiskey, or use a more assertive rye, or some combination thereof. 

reanimator.jpg

• Like 1

Stenton, also by @Rafa. Scotch, CioCiaro, Punt e Mes, Cherry Heering, orange juice, mezcal rinse, garnished with orange peel (lemon peel) and brandied cherry. 

Cherry Heering dominated the first sip, sweet and fruity. Then the complexity of the amaro and vermouth enter in. Shifts from fresh fruit to dry fruit. This seems like it's going in a bunch of directions but it holds together well. In the finish I got a strong Tootsie Roll flavor. 

stenton.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:56 PM, Craig E said:

David Wondrich's Reanimator, which was a recipe that came with my bottle of Nonino: equal parts with rye, plus a lemon twist. A lovely drink, but certainly on the sweet side. Next go 'round I might squeeze a little lemon juice in there, or shift the proportions towards the whiskey, or use a more assertive rye, or some combination thereof. 

reanimator.jpg

A nice way to make the Old Overholt a bit more palatable though! It is not one of my favorite ryes these days after Beam cut it down to a 3yo.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I made @Rafa's Stenton, a successful attempt to make a non-crappy Blood and Sand. In truth, I lacked the barspoon of orange juice, so I used lemon. I'll brave the orange the next time I have one on hand.

After that, I wanted a second drink, but low in alcohol, so I did equal parts Bonal Gentiane Quina, Dolin dry, and Alessio Vermouth Chinato, with a float of Mescal. Holy shit. Needs perfecting and a name.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 2 weeks later...

Following an early dinner (for me 11:00 pm is early) -- Weeper's Joy, William Schmidt, by way of @Splificator

May the green fairy protect me, I employed Carpano Antica as the vermouth.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Indeed, morning came early.  Mountain strength poitin is perhaps not the best beverage for a work morning.

Tonight, before dinner, autumn in Jersey, which indeed it is.  Continuing with the theme, after dinner, a widow's kiss.

Tonight I made my second Early Bird, a Kyle Davidson daiquiri with muddled cherry and a coffee liqueur rinse.

This time I tried it with Flor de Cana extra dry 4, and two home-brandied cherries instead of fresh. The flavors got a bit muddy perhaps (my cherries were soaking in a mix of brandy and maraschino if I remember right), but it was an appealing mix. My wife nailed it: it reminded her of li hing mui, intensely tangy dried plums that she knew from Hawaii. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Craig E said:

Tonight I made my second Early Bird, a Kyle Davidson daiquiri with muddled cherry and a coffee liqueur rinse.

This time I tried it with Flor de Cana extra dry 4, and two home-brandied cherries instead of fresh. The flavors got a bit muddy perhaps (my cherries were soaking in a mix of brandy and maraschino if I remember right), but it was an appealing mix. My wife nailed it: it reminded her of li hing mui, intensely tangy dried plums that she knew from Hawaii. 

That looks interesting, Craig. What is your coffee liqueur of choice?

14 minutes ago, Craig E said:

Embarrassed to say I'm still working down an ancient bottle of Kahlua, and I've never even tried another.

I am sure it does the job. The best I tried was House Spirits coffee liqueur. It's like drinking a shot of alcoholic espresso, which explains why my bottle disappeared so fast... Absolutely delicious. Now I have St. George NOLA coffee liqueur which is pretty good, and also some homemade stuff (plus some Kahlua still somewhere, I am sure...).

• Like 1

I've been on somewhat of a rye kick of late -- single barrel, barrel strength Whistlepig tonight.  Mouth filling.

Single barrel but seeing double.

• Like 1

Homemade nocino on a cube of ice. Found out that if you let it steep for over a year before finishing, the spices get too strong, but still nice. Don't tell my friend who introduced me to the stuff, but his last batch was way too sweet so I used it for the sugar in mine.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:47 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

... after dinner, a widow's kiss.

@JoNorvelleWalker What ratio do you use for your Widow's Kiss? I had Calvados one at a good bar and could barely finish it, even with a squeeze of lemon from my plate of oysters.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I had this drink a few weeks ago, wanted to try it for a long time now. I loved it !

I gave the bartender the ingredients since he didn't know this drink. He proposed me this version:

5cl of Calvados (I think it was Pays d'Auge)

1cl of Yellow Chartreuse

1 bsp of Bénédictine

2 dashes of Ango

it was pretty good and well balanced.

The "original" recipe (2-1/2-1/2) is obviously too sweet. I guess playing with chartreuse and bénédictine's ratios should be ok provided that both ingredients do not exceed 1/2 oz or 2cl

Again, this really is a great drink and I gotta say that I don't understand why it has been "forgotten"

Edited by ananth (log)

I like 4:2:1:1 brandy : dry vermouth or sherry : Bénédictine : yellow Chartreuse, with a dash of Ango and a lemon twist.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

10 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

@JoNorvelleWalker What ratio do you use for your Widow's Kiss? I had Calvados one at a good bar and could barely finish it, even with a squeeze of lemon from my plate of oysters.

My recipe is from Kappeler, Modern American Drinks, by way of @Splificator

"A mixing-glass half-full of fine ice, two dashes Angostura bitters, one-half a pony yellow chartreuse, one-half a pony Benedictine, one-pony of apple brandy; shake well, strain into a fancy cocktail-glass, and serve."

For yellow chartreuse I use yellow V.E.P. as that is what I stock.  For apple brandy I use Laird's 100 proof.

At the moment, Diep9 old genever.*  Dutch courage (OK, well, in this case Belgian courage) for tonight's World of Warcraft.

*Note, I've employed Diep9 in popular mixed drinks before, such as death in the gulf stream -- if genever and muddled lime can be considered a mixed drink -- however Diep9, neat, just by itself, is wonderful.  Exceptional.

Demons, beware.

I am giving a talk on stroke risk factors tomorrow.  Part of it touches upon diet and alcohol consumption.  One drink a day for women and two drinks a day for is what's good for you.  Five ounces of wine does not look like much.  I started to measure the size of my martini glass and had to plead the 5th.  Not to mention the steak...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Chantal Tseng's PX Daiquiri:

• 1 1⁄2 oz Rhum Agricole, Damoiseau Blanc rhum agricole (Clément)
  • 3⁄4 oz Gonzalez Byass Nectar Pedro Ximénez sherry (El Candado)
  • 3⁄4 oz lime juice
  • Garnished with fresh grated nutmeg

I've been meaning to try this drink I found on Punch for a while. I was always curious about this as a mashup of bright and cool drinks (daiquiri) and what I think is a much darker and moody ingredient (figgy PX sherry). Instead of a synthesis of opposites, in my tasting the combo pulls apart: the sherry is just enough darkness to make you want a bass note that isn't there. I guess I want a good fish or a good fowl, and this was neither for me.

IMG_2439 1.png