• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2016 (Part 1)

FrogPrincesse

On July 30, 2016 at 2:28 AM, lesliec said:

Welcome back, Rafa.  I believe I may make The Man Comes Around in your honour.

Alrighty then - we over here on Manitoulin Unravelled are also honouring Rafa with a 'The Man Comes Around'. The Man has a couple of prostheses - lacking the correct Mezcal and the correct brandy - and using homemade mole bitters. But damn it's a fine drink even allowing for the missing limbs. 

• Like 2

Inspired by the ladies in Manitoulin, I opened my cabinet for the first time in a long time, knocked the dust off of a few bottles and made use of that orange I finally remembered to buy...

eeyore1_zpspih9rct3.jpg

...and it was every bit as good as I remembered. Now I have to do some catching up on those tasty-sounding Rafa creations.

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A recent 2:1 Martini with 33 Portland dry gin; Dolin dry vermouth; Regan, Fee, Angostura, Berg & Hauck orange bitters. Some bars mix three kinds of orange bitters, so I figured I might as well blend four in my home bar! :)

2:1 Martini with 33 Portland dry gin; Dolin dry vermouth; Regan, Fee, Angostura, Berg & Hauck orange bitters #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #martini #gin

The 33 Portland dry is a gin that is quite similar to a London dry with prominent juniper and pine/evergreen. Less nuanced than something like Sipsmith for example. Still, a very solid gin.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 3

Manhattan with Michter's straight rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Berg & Hauck's Old Time aromatic bitters, French brandied cherry.

I am still a very big fan of the Michter's rye. It's wonderful for mixing and for sipping too.

Manhattan with Michter's straight rye whiskey, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Berg & Hauck's Old Time aromatic bitters #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #manhattan #rye #whiskey

• Like 3

Fish House Punch from a few weeks ago, for a party with a bunch of French friends. This punch is always a big hit. There was nothing left after the party!

Working on a batch of Fish House Punch #punch #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #rum #cognac #calvados

This version had Plantation 5 Stars rum (they just changed the packaging but the juice seems unchanged), Landy VS cognac, Daron XO calvados mixed with Briottet peach liqueur as a sub for the peach brandy, and then of course lemons and sugar.

• Like 1

While we're waiting on that, I tried the linked Millionaire. 

Enjoyable, but my cheapo sloe gin (relic of the days before I knew what I was doing in a liquor store) did its best to prove the adage that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. 

IMG_2170.png

• Like 2

Brazilian Sunrise

1 1/2 oz cachaca

3.5 oz oj

2 tsp lemon juice

3/4 oz Grenadine

orange slice

Everything over ice cubes except the Grenadine which is poured over top, served with a straw.

no pic sorry

First time having Cachaca......kinda benign

12 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Sub for Cappeletti Aperitivo? Aperol, maybe? Or a mix of things? Want to try Rafa Unnamed.

I would defer to @Rafa of course, but based on what I read, I would go with Campari or maybe your newly acquired Bruto! 

http://www.thekitchn.com/love-campari-youve-got-to-try-cappelletti-203689

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Typo (log)

Cappelletti is not really a synonym for Campari; it's more like a bottled Americano, with the wine notes from a vermouth. Dan's homemade sub sounds like a good way to go in this drink (I've tried it with just Campari and didn't care for it). I do recommend picking up a bottle of the Cappelletti on the sturdy grounds that it's delicious; a taste for it is also apparently a Boston "thing," for what that's worth, or so my Boston-based employers tell me.

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Manhattan inspired by The Normandie Club with Redemption rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Bigallet china-china, Lustau amontillado sherry, Miracle Mile toasted pecan bitters. I used rye instead of scotch and it looks like I forgot the amaretto. It was delicious nonetheless.

Manhattan inspired by The Normandy Club with Redemption rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Bigallet china-china, Lustau amontillado sherry, Mirscle Mile@tossted pecan bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #manhattan #rye #whiskey #sherry#

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Remove extra blank lines (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

@FrogPrincesse Just a joke. That is not a manhattan anymore than a mai tai is a daiquiri.

Sure. It's still a bit Manhattan-esque in the sense that someone who likes a Manhattan would enjoy it and find it familiar. 

As long as it tastes good, right? ... :)

After dinner a Balaclava Special #1, Charles H. Baker Jr.

Kummel and cognac.  Small Hand grenadine.  How could one do better?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou