• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Craig E

Craig E

rearranged pics

The Mixology Monday theme this month is Digestifs

mxmologo.gif

Without trying that hard, I seem to have amassed a decent collection of Italian amari, so my first thought was could several of them be put together to be the feature flavor of a new drink. After a couple of experiments (including rejecting Sfumato in the mix for being too outspoken and Nonino for being too shy), I settled on an even blend of CioCiaro (orange and spices) and del Capo (licorice and herbs). For the base, I turned to a bottle of Spanish brandy I had. With its sherry notes, it seemed particularly fitting for the theme. 

This acid-free concoction is sweet--fittingly so as an after-dinner drink, but the brightening of an expressed lemon peel or two keeps things balanced. I couldn't resist including a brandied cherry which becomes the dessert at the end of the dessert. 

NOTTE BENE

• 2 oz. Spanish brandy
  • 1/2 oz. Amaro CioCiaro
  • 1/2 oz. Vecchio Amaro del Capo
  • generous lemon twist (expressed and discarded)
  • brandied cherry garnish

nottebene.png

Craig E

Craig E

The Mixology Monday theme this month is Digestifs

Without trying that hard, I seem to have amassed a decent collection of Italian amari, so my first thought was could several of them be put together to be the feature flavor of a new drink. After a couple of experiments (including rejecting Sfumato in the mix for being too outspoken and Nonino for being too shy), I settled on an even blend of CioCiaro (orange and spices) and del Capo (licorice and herbs). For the base, I turned to a bottle of Spanish brandy I had. With its sherry notes, it seemed particularly fitting for the theme. 

This acid-free concoction is sweet--fittingly so as an after-dinner drink, but the brightening of an expressed lemon peel or two keeps things balanced. I couldn't resist including a brandied cherry which becomes the dessert at the end of the dessert. 

NOTTE BENE

• 2 oz. Spanish brandy
  • 1/2 oz. Amaro CioCiaro
  • 1/2 oz. Vecchio Amaro del Capo
  • generous lemon twist (expressed and discarded)
  • brandied cherry garnish

nottebene.png

mxmologo.gif