• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Craig E

Craig E

rearranging pics

Two nice drinks tonight.

First, Something Bitter This Way Comes. Rye, CioCiaro, sweet vermouth, Fernet Branca, xocolatl mole bitters, salt. The rye and vermouth I used (Bulleit and Dolin) were a neutral vehicle for the dominant flavors of the amari and bitters. A nice balance of the orange CioCiaro up front and the complementary fernet and chocolate finish thereafter. Good stuff.

somethingbitterthiswaycomes.png

Second, the Hoskins Cocktail. Gin base and maraschino sweetener, with multiple layers of orange: Amer PIcon (I used my homemade Amer Boudreau), Cointreau, orange bitters (I used Fee's), and a flamed orange twist. I liked this too. I wondered if the orange-on-orange would seem gimmicky, or would end up medicinal as many orange-focused mixed drinks do for me. But this worked well to me—even using Trader Joe's gin for the Plymouth called for in the recipe. Reminded me a bit of Hall's orange-flavored Vitamin C drops. Kind of a Martinez on steroids.

HoskinsCocktail.png

Craig E

Craig E

rearranging pics

Two nice drinks tonight.

First, Something Bitter This Way Comes. Rye, CioCiaro, sweet vermouth, Fernet Branca, xocolatl mole bitters, salt. The rye and vermouth I used (Bulleit and Dolin) were a neutral vehicle for the dominant flavors of the amari and bitters. A nice balance of the orange CioCiaro up front and the complementary fernet and chocolate finish thereafter. Good stuff.

Second, the Hoskins Cocktail. Gin base and maraschino sweetener, with multiple layers of orange: Amer PIcon (I used my homemade Amer Boudreau), Cointreau, orange bitters (I used Fee's), and a flamed orange twist. I liked this too. I wondered if the orange-on-orange would seem gimmicky, or would end up medicinal as many orange-focused mixed drinks do for me. But this worked well to me—even using Trader Joe's gin for the Plymouth called for in the recipe. Reminded me a bit of Hall's orange-flavored Vitamin C drops. Kind of a Martinez on steroids

HoskinsCocktail.png

Craig E

Craig E

rearranging pics

Two nice drinks tonight.

Second, the Hoskins Cocktail. Gin base and maraschino sweetener, with multiple layers of orange: Amer PIcon (I used my homemade Amer Boudreau), Cointreau, orange bitters (I used Fee's), and a flamed orange twist. I liked this too. I wondered if the orange-on-orange would seem gimmicky, or would end up medicinal as many orange-focused mixed drinks do for me. But this worked well to me—even using Trader Joe's gin for the Plymouth called for in the recipe. Reminded me a bit of Hall's orange-flavored Vitamin C drops. 

HoskinsCocktail.png

Craig E

Craig E

Two nice drinks tonight.

Second, the Hoskins Cocktail. Gin base and maraschino sweetener, with multiple layers of orange: Amer PIcon (I used my homemade Amer Boudreau), Cointreau, orange bitters (I used Fee's), and a flamed orange twist. I liked this too. I wondered if the orange-on-orange would seem gimmicky, or would end up medicinal as many orange-focused mixed drinks do for me. But this worked well to me—even using Trader Joe's gin for the Plymouth called for in the recipe. Reminded me a bit of Hall's orange-flavored Vitamin C drops. 

HoskinsCocktail.png