• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Dessert cookbook referral wanted

jtphjl

I am putting together a gift basket that includes a Cuisinart Ice-cream maker. I welcome recommendations for cookbooks!

This is not my area at all!

THANKS!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

There are two simple books for beginners with lots of good flavor combos:

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompanimentsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=158008219

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Homeir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=157965436

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links to Amazon-friendly format (log)
  • Like 3

I've got one body and one life, I'm going to take care of them.

I'm blogging as the Fabulous Food Fanatic here.

I own a Williams-Sonoma ice cream book that I find quite good.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As mentioned, the perfect scoop is the perfect beginners book for home ice cream, Sweet cream and sugar cones from B-Rite creamery is not bad either,

fewer but solid basic recipes. For higher level of home gelato - Gelato Messina is a great book.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2016 at 11:50 AM, Merridith said:

There are two simple books for beginners with lots of good flavor combos:

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompanimentsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=158008219

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Homeir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=157965436

I have made lots of ice cream from both of these books, and I think they compliment each other really well. I like the Perfect Scoop for really excellent examples most of the classic flavors you'd expect to find in an ice cream book. The custard-based recipes are especially amazing in flavor and texture. The Jeni's book is great too in it's own way, I like that most of the recipes can be whipped up in an afternoon if you have the ingredients, and while she does have recipes for say chocolate and vanilla, a lot of the others use some interesting flavor combinations and techniques to expand on the really delicious "standards" you find in the Lebovitz book. I bounce back and forth between these two more than any others during the summer. 

Edited by Smithy
Corrected quoted links to match adjustment in quote (log)
  • Like 1

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late, but I have a couple of extra reccomendations... The Ample Hills Creamery book, and also Ice Creams, Sorbets, and Gelati by Caroline and Robin Weir - aside from being an absolute tome of all kinds of frozen desserts (including bombes, frozen mousses, kulfi etc), it includes a lot of extra info about the history and science of frozen desserts.

Ample Hills Creamery: Secrets and Stories from Brooklyn’s Favorite Ice Cream Shopir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=161769076

Ice Creams, Sorbets and Gelati: The Definitive Guide ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=190494346

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

...and if you get really obsessed after putting this gift basket together, Elizabeth David's final (posthumous) work, Harvest of the Cold Months, is a deeply interesting history of the evolution of frozen desserts. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning