• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knee deep in masa, oh my!

Mysstwalker

It is going to be a very long day and night, have to turn out 12 dozen tamales and 10 dozen bierocks. Somehow, I let someone talk me into selling them at our town event tomorrow. So, oven going all day, 2 pressure cookers, temp here is supposed to be up to 110 with the heat index, and I am out of coffee. This could be a very bad thing.....

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you pressure cook the tamales?  Never knew you could do it that way!  But in truth, pressure cookers kinda scare me :)

I reheat already made tamales that I buy from Texas in the pressure cooker.  Really good that way.

• Like 2

Well, it turned out to be a good day, but it was so incredibly hot and humid! I had shared a space with my best friend, we set up an L shaped table arrangement, she had her crochet items on one, then I had my food items set up on the other, and it was great because it was air-conditioned! I ended up selling everything, some people bought a dozen of each. The bierocks were filled with beef and cabbage and white cheddar. I came home with a little salsa and empty pans! I took some pictures when I was making them, and a couple at the event, but I didnt get pictures of the bierocks this time because it was just me and half the time I was covered with dough lol, but I shall post the ones that are halfway decent since a) I am using a sucky camera on a phone and b) when it comes to any kind of plating or taking food pictures, I can come nowhere near what I see on here, so bear with me!

10898267_10152981775201617_3725373732090987443_n.jpg

I have two of these 22 qt. pressure canners, I used them for the tamales yesterday, and I also use them for making the dozen or so different flavors of bacon jam that I take to farmers markets when the weather is cooler. Oh, and please excuse my horrendous stove, my sauce got a little too happy the day before and blurped red sauce everywhere.

10891639_10152978337816617_1013116089879467685_n.jpg

A quick shot of the salsa verde, thank goodness I saved a little bit at home for me!

10361443_10153025280421617_5737492963163503162_n.jpg

The pile grew as they came out of the pot lol

10349967_10152982059446617_8398483671252190671_n.jpg

Neatened up and ready to cover and hit the road.

10896836_10152982230196617_8222387265637317841_n.jpg

When I do these for an event, I do not make big ones. These sold for 1.50 each, and I set out the salsa verde, cilantro and cojita cheese crumbles so people could top them how they wanted. And of course, when I got hungry, tamales are on the menu lol. This is my entire lunch and I was stuffed after I ate it. I had a gastric bypass so quantities for me are small, but I make darn sure what I am eating is really good since there is only a small amount!

On 7/22/2016 at 11:22 AM, Shelby said:

Wow.  I'd love to see pictures.  I know you're not too busy or anything :P  Get a floor fan going.  Gonna get hot in there today.

Hi! Everytime I walked outside it made me want to run back inside! I would never have made it if we had not been indoors lol. What part of Kansas are you in?

On 7/23/2016 at 9:18 AM, pastrygirl said:

Do you pressure cook the tamales?  Never knew you could do it that way!  But in truth, pressure cookers kinda scare me :)

I was terrified the first time I went to use one. I got it up to pressure and it was bobbling along but when I went to look and check on it, I stayed by the doorway at first and kind of peered around the corner to make sure it was not sounding like it was going to explode first lol. When I make a small amount of tamales for me and Chris at home, I put 6 in a Ziploc steamer bag and cook them in the microwave for about 8 minutes, I cant tell the difference between the nuked ones and ones done in the pressure cooker!

Edited by Mysstwalker (log)
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Beautiful tamales!!!!  I love the garnish :) 

I'm in central Kansas, north of Halstead.

Then you actually arent that far from me, only about 95 miles! I live in a very small town called Hamilton, we just finally now have a population of over 300, we are getting to be a real metropolis here lol.

• Like 3