• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

56 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I mean, there's not a lot you can do to vary a meatloaf, is there? The basics are still going to be there.

Seems to me that's akin to saying "there's not a lot you can do to vary roasted meat, etc."
To which I disagree. 
As to the meatloaf: meat and loaf are certainly essential, but ingredients and preparation method can vary greatly.

56 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Surprisingly not. The 5th century Roman Apicius recipe is almost identical to modern American recipes.

To which Apicius recipe do you refer?

A quick search doesn't turn up anything that would commonly be thought of as meatloaf in this day and age.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

54 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I mean, there's not a lot you can do to vary a meatloaf, is there? The basics are still going to be there.

Seems to me that's akin to saying "there's not a lot you can do to vary meat roasted over an open fire, etc."
To which I disagree. 
As to the meatloaf: meat and loaf are certainly essential, but ingredients and preparation method can vary greatly.

54 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Surprisingly not. The 5th century Roman Apicius recipe is almost identical to modern American recipes.

A quick search doesn't turn up anything that would commonly be thought of as meatloaf in this day and age.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Seems to me that's akin to saying "there's not a lot you can do to vary meat roasted over an open fire, etc."
To which I disagree. 

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

A quick search doesn't turn up anything that would commonly be called meatloaf in this day and age.