• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King Arthur Double Dutch Dark Cocoa

Shel_B

I am thinking of getting a package of KA Double Dutch Dark Cocoa for use in brownies and chocolate pudding.  Can anyone who has used the product comment on it for the intended purpose?  Thanks!

... Shel

I've started using it in some cake experiments I've had going lately.  I felt it gave some of the best, really chocolate-y flavor that's been lacking.  I'm going to also try mixing my own black and Dutched to see what happens.  Of all the chocolate cakes I've tried, I've never felt there was enough oomph from either Dutched Cocoa or unsweetened chocolate.  But, the last cake was much better using the KA.  And, I've used it in a vegan cake and a gluten free cake  (both experiments for upcoming weddings) and they were good. 

• Like 1

I have used it a great deal.  I use it in my fruited cocoa cake and in my cocoa cookies mixed half and half with the black cocoa and I get a result that is similar to Oreos.

The flavor is deep and very satisfying.  I have used it in pudding both egg base and made with other thickeners. 

One "quick" pudding I have had nice success with is with using  equal parts Double Dutch cocoa and Bird's Custard Powder using the recommended amount of sugar for the plain custard and then adding a bit more "to taste" after mixing with the hot milk.

I have also taken this same "recipe" a bit further by adding a tablespoon of espresso powder.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Lately I have been using this chocolate from Viva Labs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HES9CMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and so far I have been very happy with it.  Very rich but well-balanced flavor.  The only downside is that it comes in a resealable bag and the sealing strip sucks - it's very hard to get resealed.  I just don't worry about it and put the bag in a bigger zip-lock bag.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

36 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Lately I have been using this chocolate from Viva Labs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HES9CMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and so far I have been very happy with it.  Very rich but well-balanced flavor.  The only downside is that it comes in a resealable bag and the sealing strip sucks - it's very hard to get resealed.  I just don't worry about it and put the bag in a bigger zip-lock bag.

Never heard of that chocolate, but I like your comments and the description and comments on Amazon.  I've added it to my cart for my next order.  Seems like it's worth a try, and the price for a pound is reasonable.  Thanks for the pointer.

... Shel

41 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is this the same as the KA black cocoa powder that I use?  I forget now if the black is Dutched or not.

YES it is Dutched.  And has an intense flavor.  

In fact, if you blend it with simple syrup, it makes a very nice chocolate syrup.  Start out with one tablespoon to 4 ounces of syrup and then add more to taste.  That will give you an idea of how intense the flavor is - when subbing for other lighter cocoas, I start out with 2/3 the amount of the regular cocoa and add more if it needs it.  I have one of those little electric muffin bakers which I use to test cake experiments - takes about 6 to 8 minutes to "bake" one.  I taste and then adjust the flavors.  Saves wasting an entire batch of batter.

and the thing was cheap - I got it at Overstock for $12.00

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett