• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook Collection Pics

pastryani

1 minute ago, mrdecoy1970 said:

If we feel like Mexican, I grab a Bayless or Kennedy book, or French Pepin or Raymond Blanc although I find Pepin more consistent. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it would be lovely if you participated in the Dinner thread or similar and showed us some of your meals/cooking! Please consider it! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it would be lovely if you participated in the Dinner thread or similar and showed us some of your meals/cooking! Please consider it! 

Kitchen is usually a disaster, would have to shoot photos carefully! thanks,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrdecoy1970 said:

Kitchen is usually a disaster, would have to shoot photos carefully! thanks,

Fess up.  These pics were taken in some sort of cookbook history museum, right?  Right?  

:P

That is a fabulous collection.  I'm going to stare at the titles when I have more time....and I bet my shelves get a bit fuller lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Fess up.  These pics were taken in some sort of cookbook history museum, right?  Right?  

:P

That is a fabulous collection.  I'm going to stare at the titles when I have more time....and I bet my shelves get a bit fuller lol.

I do have a shelf dedicated to food history. Dry read though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mrdecoy1970 said:

I do have a shelf dedicated to food history. Dry read though. 

I dare not even look!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So, do you have a couple of favourites mrdecoy1970?

I see Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food.  Wonder if that's the same as her The Complete Asian Cookbook?  This is one of my favourites, so much so, I'm on my second book due to over usage.

I love how little overlap there is. From my collection I think I've seen French Regional Cooking, Nigella's How to Eat, the two Keller books (less surprising), a Tom Kerridge, and the Harold McGee. And possibly one Nigel Slater. That's it.

2 hours ago, mrdecoy1970 said:

Sorry if that's too much to post I can delete, went a little crazy with my new phone.

Yes, please do some editing. I spotted a bunch of duplicate, or near-duplicate, photos. Good photos, though. What kind of phone?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes, please do some editing. I spotted a bunch of duplicate, or near-duplicate, photos. Good photos, though. What kind of phone?

Welcome to my home, that is my collection plus about another 10 on order. 

iPhone S6 I did some cleaning up, but almost deleted non-duplicates.

Wow, just wow.  And you've cooked from all of them.  I tend to read mine for inspiration  but then can never remember which book/recipe inspired me to buy all the random ingredients.  At least I remember that part, need to be more organized

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I love, love, love reading  Nigel Slater and if I never cook another damn thing I will always be right there to buy his next book.  He almost had me convinced that I should learn how to be a gardener and how to maintain a fruit orchard!   

I work in a library, so access to cookbooks is not much of a problem.  However after I read Tender I bought a copy for myself and a copy for my younger son who has space for a real garden.  Ripe, however, left me a little disappointed.  But then I have only strawberries, blueberries, and a grapevine on my balcony.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

Wow, just wow.  And you've cooked from all of them.  I tend to read mine for inspiration  but then can never remember which book/recipe inspired me to buy all the random ingredients.  At least I remember that part, need to be more organized

Nice to know that Kerry Beal and I are not the only ones with this defect!  Get inspired, stock up and then forget why.xD:o

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Nearly all my cook books are on my broken Kindle (second one to die in three years, grrr!)*. Coincidentally, I was rearranging some shelves earlier and stacked up my pitifully small collection of real cook books. As, you can see, few are in English.

books.jpg

* I do have backups.

18 hours ago, mrdecoy1970 said:

I've honestly not cooked through 1% of these books.

That is ambiguous. Do you mean you have cooked from 99% or you have only cooked from less than 1%?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So here's my collection.  It's (somewhat) organized by food type/category:  salads, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, cakes, desserts, breads/pizza, etc.  

Like so many of you here, looking at pics of food is a super-fun pastime for me, so I love getting new cookbooks and flagging recipes  that I want to make as I go through them. 

The problem is that even though they're flagged, I haven't used more than 5% of my cookbooks, so getting more cookbooks (while still fun to look at), makes me feel like I can't keep my head above water.  Hence... I've reinstated the "self-imposed cookbook ban of 2016", renewed again for another year. :D

That said, I have to say that my guilt for my unused cookbooks is somewhat subdued by mrdecoy's totally impressive collection.  I wish I had that much space! :x

image.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Very nice.  I get the sense you like to bake!  A little difficult to read your titles...close ups would be good.

Yes Indeed, @Okanagancook :D  I'll take some more close-up pics and post - any shelf in particular?

14 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow, @pastryani, a whole shelf of cookie cookbooks :x!

I know @blue_dolphin... it's all I can do to not get anymore (mind you, this does not include the stacks of cookie magazines that come out at Christmas and call my name from the stands).  There's something in particular that draws me to cookies - likely it's the quick bake time, the bite-sized bliss, and the variety of possible textures. :x

• Like 1

@pastryani

I think I have finally beaten my cookbook acquisition guilt to death. I am learning to love them for themselves whether or not I ever cook a recipe from them.  I also love police procedurals but find no particular need to stack up bodies every time I read a new one.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog