• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Create my meal – the game

sartoric

Roast chicken is not a problem and would freeze well. I'm not so sure about your roasted veggies surviving the freezer well. You could chop the roasted veggies and chicken, add some peas, make some gravy out of that lovely-looking exudate around your roast chicken, make a pastry crust and turn it into a lovely chicken pot pie.

As for the baby spinach, my favorite way with it is to boil up some eggs, and fry some bacon with a little onion. If you can find good tomatoes, and it's summer where you are, so probably, definitely use them. After frying the bacon, remove it, add a little vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, let this get hot, and add tomato wedges. Cook these just until some juices start to come out. Put in the spinach, and toss to coat, warm and wilt just a little. Immediately plate and top with slices of hard-boiled egg and bacon crumbles.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I would wrap and freeze the chicken - plastic wrap, foil, then into a zip lock bag. The veggies are another story, they might not do so well in the freezer. But I'd try it anyway, maybe later they can be used to make some roasted vegetable stock.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sartoric said:

Apologies to the hosting team for enabling some off topic discussion.

Maybe I'm doing exactly that again, but......

What would you do with leftover roast chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and a big bag of baby spinach ?

Assume I've got everything imaginable in my pantry. 

Hit me quick.

I'd make soup and dumplings.  The veg could be added near the end so as not to turn them into mush.

• Like 1

I have some leftover chicken that I'll be making into a chicken salad for sandwiches.  Dice the chicken pretty fine in the food processor, add mayo, chopped celery, capers, Dijon mustard, capers, lots of pepper and salt and that's about it.

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. He who must be fed is a champion, cold roast chicken and veg for lunch two days in a row, plus I suspect a midnight snack or two and the chicken is virtually gone. 

We have a friend house and dog sitting, so she can deal with the rest. 

This time tomorrow I should be 3 hours into a flight to Singapore, then on to India.

I hope to post some food photos !

• Like 7

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, David Ross said:

I have some leftover chicken that I'll be making into a chicken salad for sandwiches.  Dice the chicken pretty fine in the food processor, add mayo, chopped celery, capers, Dijon mustard, capers, lots of pepper and salt and that's about it.

And some toasted, slivered almonds and sliced red grapes are always good in a chicken salad made from leftover roast chicken.

• Like 1