• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Create my meal – the game

sartoric

22 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I will take the challenge, I can cook tomorrow night (Sunday).

Here is my list (I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian):

broccoli

onions (white & red and garlic, fresh chives)

celery

russet potatoes

cheese: swiss, mozzarella, parmesean

eggs

limes

raw peanuts (I make my own peanut butter as needed.)

firm tofu

NM green chiles, roasted

I have a pretty extensive pastry-making pantry with several types of flour, syrups, butters, craisins, raisins, candied fruit, etc. I also have many pantry staples like dry beans, rices, cornmeal, semolina flour, noodles (asian and italian), and canned goods.

Feel free to ask if I have a pantry item. I am willing to make bread.

A Spanish-style tortilla with swiss and mozzarella cheese, onions and roasted chiles. Layer the cheeses and chiles in between the potatoes. To give you something green, a broccoli stir-fry with a peanut sauce. 

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

A Spanish-style tortilla with swiss and mozzarella cheese, onions and roasted chiles. Layer the cheeses and chiles in between the potatoes. To give you something green, a broccoli stir-fry with a peanut sauce. 

A little more about that tortilla, please. I was thinking along those lines with my latest, wildly unrealistic (because of time constraints) haul from a couple of farmers' markets today.  Slice the potatoes thinly, of course.  Remind me, please: do they need to be softened, say, in the microwave before layering? I'm planning to add chorizo (Mexican) to the layer. Bake the whole shebang at, what, 375F? 

I'm not trying to take a turn here but I like the idea of stealing an idea or two.  :-)

Edited by Smithy
Added photo link (log)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

A little more about that tortilla, please. I was thinking along those lines with my latest, wildly unrealistic (because of time constraints) haul from a couple of farmers' markets today.  Slice the potatoes thinly, of course.  Remind me, please: do they need to be softened, say, in the microwave before layering? I'm planning to add chorizo (Mexican) to the layer. Bake the whole shebang at, what, 375F? 

I'm not trying to take a turn here but I like the idea of stealing an idea or two.  :-)

The recipes I've seen and used call for slicing the potatoes thinly, and parboiling for a few moments to soften before layering in a skillet with whatever other ingredients. Then beaten eggs are poured over all and it's cooked like an omelet, lifting the edges with a spatula as the edges set to let the liquid center flow underneath. Eventually it's turned out onto a plate inverted over it and slid back in to the skillet to brown the topside.

It always gives me anxiety attacks when I try to make it, but Lord, I do love it when it turns out well.

Edited by kayb
to fix typo (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

@Bhukhhad gets this round! Please prepare your list!

Sorry, I do not have photos. We had a terrible dust storm tonight, and as I was setting up, the neighbors came over to ask for help and wound up eating most of my food!

I made pakoras by chopping up some already roasted potatoes from last night, julienne red onions, and green chile. I am glad I did, I have never made these and they were great! (I make tempura all the time, I have no idea what my mental block was...)

I also made a sort of saag paneer, but with tofu, so saag tofu? (no milk in the house, or I would have made paneer with lime juice, which is super good with saag or palak) I drained and sliced the tofu into triangles and fried it lightly and set it aside. I used the same oil for the pakoras. While the pakoras got started, I chopped up the broccoli, sauteed some mustard seeds in beurre noisette, as they started to pop I added a mix of spices to make a curry powder (I blend my own curry powder a la minute.) I then added diced (previously roasted) green chiles, salt, and the broccoli. I allowed this to sautee for a few minutes, then, I added a glug of heavy cream to finish. I served the tofu sitting on top of the greens/sauce.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

@Bhukhhad gets this round! Please prepare your list!

Sorry, I do not have photos. We had a terrible dust storm tonight, and as I was setting up, the neighbors came over to ask for help and wound up eating most of my food!

I made pakoras by chopping up some already roasted potatoes from last night, julienne red onions, and green chile. I am glad I did, I have never made these and they were great! (I make tempura all the time, I have no idea what my mental block was...)

I also made a sort of saag paneer, but with tofu, so saag tofu? (no milk in the house, or I would have made paneer with lime juice, which is super good with saag or palak) I drained and sliced the tofu into triangles and fried it lightly and set it aside. I used the same oil for the pakoras. While the pakoras got started, I chopped up the broccoli, sauteed some mustard seeds in beurre noisette, as they started to pop I added a mix of spices to make a curry powder (I blend my own curry powder a la minute.) I then added diced (previously roasted) green chiles, salt, and the broccoli. I allowed this to sautee for a few minutes, then, I added a glug of heavy cream to finish. I served the tofu sitting on top of the greens/sauce.

Wow your description itself makes my mouth water! 

Lisa Shock am I 'it'? Ooopsies I am not ready.  I dont have a very diverse list right now and I just did my grocery shopping!! 

But I am so excited that I accept with many nervous butterflies. 

Here is the list of my groceries:

Opo Squash grown in my garden

Pumpkin grown in my friend's garden

Purple eggplants Chinese long and Big round as well

Frozen peas

Toor Dal (dry pigeon peas)

Red onions

Tomatoes

Pantry ingredients like chapatti flour. Basmati rice, all spices for Indian food. No bread in the home or any baking supplies like AP flour. No meat or fish. I do have a carton of large eggs. And some brie and some mozzarella. 

I will cook from whatever you suggest on tuesday or wednesday. Can't after that, have guests.

Bhukhhad

• Like 4

Ok 'Create my meal'-ers

send me your suggestions by tomorrow so that I can attempt to cook one of those. It looks more and more like tomorrow is the only day I can try. 

Given the fact that I have a limited list and even more limited time this week, it would be fine if someone else went in instead. I can get nominated another time as well. 

I refer back to the person who started this game to start another round

Bhukhhad

• Like 1

I suspect this will be no challenge for you, @Bhukhhad, but I would love to see you do a stir-fry with the long skinny eggplants, the tomatoes and red onions.  Put it over some of that basmati rice. I personally detest peas, assuming these are the little round things out of their pods, but they'd work well too in that stir fry.   Sauce at your discretion: a ginger/soy sauce is what I tend to do, but I'm an amateur.  Show us the results, because I bought skinny eggplant last Sunday and I need to cook it!

I don't know Opo squash, so have no idea whether it would be compatible in that dish.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Slice the eggplant thin and roast it. Roll it up with some brie in the middle; make a sauce of tomatoes and onions, with assorted spices (I would use traditional Italian spices) to put over it. Top with mozzarella. Bake.

With a side of pigeon peas or frozen peas, as you choose. I would go for pigeon peas, as I love them!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

I'll admit dropping the ball here, been distracted by guests. 

I'd thinly slice the big eggplant and pumpkin, sprinkle with salt and oil, then slow roast em. Make a tomato and red onion sauce, layer the sauce with the veggies, slices of mozzarella and sauce. Top with grated mozzarella and bake until brown. Serve with mashed squash and peas.

• Like 2

Not in the running here, and I have only bought and cooked one Opo squash in my entire life. It was delicious fried like zucchini with only a light dusting of flour, and coarse salt after draining and blotting. I also cooked the second half of it over a charcoal grill as part of a mixed grill with a meat and lots of different veggies. The squash was great that way too. I will buy it again next time I make it to the Indian grocer. So it lends itself well to Italian treatments as well as traditional Indian ones.

It is so cool to hear @Bhukhhadis growing Opa squash. Perhaps she would care to share with us what else she is growing in the Gardening thread? I hope, I hope, I hope. :)

I can't wait to hear about what Bhukkhad decides to cook!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

How about Vegetarian Arroz con Gandules, Toor Dahl=Gandules=Pigeon Peas. You just have to soak the dried peas over night and cook it til tender first. Then proceed with arroz con gandules<= (tomatoes, onion, cumin, paprika) minus the ham. Once the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed I like to finish it off with 1/4 c coconut cream with 2 pinches of salt as you fluff the rice but it's optional. 

For the side dish, I'll roast the eggplant til the skin is charred. Peel and slightly mash with a fork, prepare dressing of vinegar, minced garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar, and a chopped hot green chili, sliced quarter of a red onion, mix well and pour over smashed eggplant and give it a couple of toss. I think this side dish will cut the richness of the rice if you do add the coconut cream in the end. 

• Like 5

Wow everyone has such interesting suggestions.

A stirfry like Smithy said would be nice because my stir fry has usually been broccoli or green beans! 

Eggplant rollups like Kayb suggested would be good too as I have not made that dish before. Though I have watched Giada De Laurentis wax on at length about such a dish. 

Sartoric suggests an eggplant and pumpkin layered lasagna like creation and I love lasagna. 

Fried Opo? Thats new for me TftC. Good suggestion. 

Wild_yeast what an interesting dish! We make a similar green pigeon peas and rice dish. At least my Mom made it. I haven't had it in years. But caribbean spices I may not have. I think its carribean. 

What shall I do? I'd better decide soon.....

Bhukhhad 

• Like 6

Here's an Italian dish: Eggplant and Rice Casserole. I think this could be made without the cheese, and could definitely be made by substituting water with a couple teaspoons of herbs (dry is fine, try fennel, rosemary and parsley) for the beef broth.

• Like 3

Ok Kayb, you are 'It'! So plan your list and get posting. 

I decided to do Kayb's 'Eggplant Roll-up', and here is how I made it: 

3 long chinese eggplants

1 Red onion

Grated Mozarella cheese

Some Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup rice

Garlic , Salt, Red chili flakes, fresh oregano

4 button mushrooms

1 jar of pasta sauce

2 Tbspn oil or more

In a baking tray I placed thinly sliced long chinese egg plants close together but in a single layer. I sprinkled some salt (sorry a little pepper got into the salt too) and a little oil. I roasted them on 350F for about half an hour. 

On the other side I diced the onion finely, minced the garlic, salt, chili flakes and oregano together. I chopped a few mushrooms I found in the fridge. I sauteed the onions and mushrooms together and cooked them till the water evaporated. 

In the microwave I cooked the rice and once cooked I mixed about 2 tbspns pf pasta sauce and some mozarella into it. Then added the mushroom mixture and tossed it all together.

In a foil tray, I took each of the softwned eggplant slices, added some of the rice and mushroom mixture to them and rolled them up. I tried to stack them neatly but the pan was bigger than the amount of eggplant. But thats ok, it was my dinner. I poured the rest of the pasta sauce on top and spread a layer of cheese. Now its all ready to go into an oven just before serving. 

With the opo squash and pumpkin, I cleaned everything and cut each into chunks. Most of the chunks of opo and pumpkin were bagged and kept in the refrigerator for the rest of the week. But I did make one curry. The name is 'Morkholumbho'. You pressure cook the opo and pumpkin chunks. Then in a separate frying pan heat a couple of teaspoons of peanut oil. Add dry urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chilies and curry leaves. Fry for a few minutes. Add hing and some tablespoons of dessicated coconut. Grind everything fine in a blender adding water as needed. Mix this paste with the pressure cooked opo and pumpkin chunks, simmer till melded well. Add lemon juice to taste and adjust salt for seasoning. This is usually served with rice. But since I have rice in the eggplant dish, I will make chapatti. 

Thanks folks, I tried making something new because of you! 

:)

Bhukhhad

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Fun, Bhukhhad! I hope it was good. I love both eggplant and zucchini done this way.

I can cook either tomorrow night, Thursday night or Friday night.

Here's my list:

• Some chicken, both white and dark meat, from one I roasted the other day and really need to use (in the event the chicken is too far gone -- haven't been into the bag in a couple of days -- I have both chicken breasts and thighs, both boneless and skinless, I can thaw and cook)
  • Yellow crookneck squash
  • Zucchini
  • Eggplant, if it's still good
  • Cucumbers
  • Okra
  • Peaches
  • A decent assortment of hard cheeses, as well as some homemade ricotta
  • Eggs
  • Assorted kinds of pasta including spaghetti, linguine, rigatoni and curly egg noodles

A fairly well-stocked pantry, including rice, wild rice and several kinds of dry beans, peas and lentils, and a reasonably decent variety of spices and condiments. Two things I am out of that I normally have are capers and anchovies. Other pantry staples include home-canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Should be a ripe tomato or two in the garden, but they're small.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

My favourite use for leftover roast chicken is nachos, but you'd need to get corn chips, avocado and sour cream.

Perhaps defrost the thighs for a Malaysian style chicken curry (including zucchini), served with steamed rice and cucumber salad.

• Like 1

Kayb, 

I am not in the running here but how about a one-pot recipe? How about a New Orleans style GUMBO? 

I believe it has chicken rice eggplant zuchhini okra and squash! 

You might want to serve a salad of cool cumber and some cheese alongside. 

Bhukhhad

• Like 2

I think Bhukhhad is the winner here; that will let me use the roasted chicken, which I really need to get out of the refrigerator. I can make it a bit lighter than the traditional heavy gumbo. Although Wild Yeast's suggestion of the tagine sounded good, as did whoever suggested the Malaysian curry.

Off to start my roux....

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

14 hours ago, Bhukhhad said:

I am not in the running here but how about a one-pot recipe?

11 hours ago, kayb said:

I think Bhukhhad is the winner here

I told y'all... herding cats. I will follow the thread avidly, but not offer another suggestion unless I am prepared to offer up a list of ingredients, pick a suggestion within 24 hours and then cook it within 24 hours. :)

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Please go to a peaceful sleep @Bhukhhad. Others who "win"/are selected as "it" ignore the rules for days, and sometimes don't wind up cooking at all. No worries. :)

Again, for the third and final time I wish we would relax the rules to get a wider participation, and let people get suggestions for their ingredients. I think it would be a lot more fun, and yet again, we would all learn more from one another.

The one time I jumped in and nominated myself to cook, I regretted it mightily, because I was invited out to eat on the day I was supposed to cook. I turned down the rare invitation, and soldiered on because I pride myself on doing what I say I am going to do. The rules, and then not following them, take much of the fun out of it for me.

This is my very last word on it, and I will enjoy and follow @sartoric's great thread with interest, but I won't be participating under the current rules/guidelines.

> ^ . . ^ <