• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

to add olive oil to mussels in wine sauce

On 8/25/2016 at 11:26 PM, sartoric said:

Black lip mussels 

Are these frozen? Live mussels, like I can sometimes get here are quite perishable. Also I have never heard of common black-shelled mussels like we get referred to that way. They have orange flesh here. I used to be able to order green-lipped mussels, sourced from New Zealand at a chain Italian place here called Romano's Macaroni grill. I had never seen them before, but I came to really love them before they were discontinued, probably due to cost. They are really a lot better than ours that we can get here. Their flesh is more gray, like clams, we get here, not as livery as our mussels are, and just plain tastier, IMO. Come to find out from the link above, they have health benefits too.

Perhaps it would be helpful if participants would mention whether proteins were more perishable or frozen? I know when I cooked the fresh protein got preference.

If your mussels are fresh and haven't already been cooked, I would cook them tomorrow with a little white wine, crushed garlic and parsley, olive oil (duh!) and serve them over fine pasta. Crushed red pepper would not go astray with me, but this varies with heat tolerance.

I would also make some fried or broiled or grilled zucchini and/or eggplant. You could make this Parmagiana style with some of your dried and fresh tomatoes and some cheese.

Baby spinach and rocket salad.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

On 8/25/2016 at 11:26 PM, sartoric said:

Black lip mussels 

Are these frozen? Live mussels, like I can sometimes get here are quite perishable. Also I have never heard of common black-shelled mussels like we get referred to that way. They have orange flesh here. I used to be able to order green-lipped mussels, sourced from New Zealand at a chain Italian place here called Romano's Macaroni grill. I had never seen them before, but I came to really love them before they were discontinued, probably due to cost. They are really a lot better than ours that we can get here. Their flesh is more gray, like clams, we get here, not as livery as our mussels are, and just plain tastier, IMO. Come to find out from the link above, they have health benefits too.

Perhaps it would be helpful if participants would mention whether proteins were more perishable or frozen? I know when I cooked the fresh protein got preference.

If your mussels are fresh and haven't already been cooked, I would cook them tomorrow with a little white wine, crushed garlic and parsley, and serve them over fine pasta. Crushed red pepper would not go astray with me, but this varies with heat tolerance.

I would also make some fried or broiled or grilled zucchini and/or eggplant. You could make this Parmagiana style with some of your dried and fresh tomatoes and some cheese.

Baby spinach and rocket salad.