• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

close parentheses.

I actually DID cook last night; a sort of a a hybrid ratatouille/gumbo with the leftover chicken. Good stuff, it was! 

gumbo 1.jpg

Made a roux, salted it a little, peppered it a lot, added a Cajun spice mix I get from a great little Cajun market/restaurant down the road, Sauteed onions, garlic, pepper (relax, @rotuts, it wasn't bell pepper, which I do not keep in my house; it was a couple of banana peppers), but no celery (may the Cajun cooking gods forgive me). Cut up two small yellow squash, two small zucchini, two small eggplants, some okra,  added that into the roux/onions/garlic and let it saute a bit. Added chopped chicken (about half what I had in the fridge; remainder will go into a pasta tonight with alfredo sauce and veggies) and a pint of home-canned tomatoes, let it simmer for a bit. Tasted, added some red pepper flakes for some zing, and served it over brown rice.

gumbo2.jpgA very good dinner, and one which made good use of leftover chicken!

WildYeast, why don't you jump in here and give us a list and let us create a meal for you?

kayb

kayb

I actually DID cook last night; a sort of a a hybrid ratatouille/gumbo with the leftover chicken. Good stuff, it was! 

gumbo 1.jpg

Made a roux, salted it a little, peppered it a lot, added a Cajun spice mix I get from a great little Cajun market/restaurant down the road, Sauteed onions, garlic, pepper (relax, @rotuts, it wasn't bell pepper, which I do not keep in my house; it was a couple of banana peppers), but no celery (may the Cajun cooking gods forgive me. Cut up two small yellow squash, two small zucchini, two small eggplants, some okra added that into the roux/onions/garlic and let it saute a bit. Added chopped chicken (about half what I had in the fridge; remainder will go into a pasta tonight with alfredo sauce and veggies) and a pint of home-canned tomatoes, let it simmer for a bit. Tasted, added some red pepper flakes for some zing, and served it over brown rice.

gumbo2.jpgA very good dinner, and one which made good use of leftover chicken!

WildYeast, why don't you jump in here and give us a list and let us create a meal for you?