• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

I have tried making this recipe (with whole milk) a couple of times, and neither time did the pudding set.  However, I did a couple of things differently:  I added two vanilla beans to the milk while it was heating and I cooked the mixture in a double boiler (bowl placed over a Dutch oven).  The mixture was, as noted in the video, mayonnaise-like in it's consistency when removed from the heat at which point I added the butter and a teaspoon+ of vanilla extract for a little flavor boost.  I then strained and transferred the pudding mixture into a glass bowl that would later be used for serving.

I left the mixture on the counter to cool in the bowl before placing it in the refrigerator.  However, when I returned to the pudding it was no longer thick, but very soupy, like a typical cream soup.  Covering the bowl and refrigerating over night did nothing to firm up the pudding.

What could be causing this problem?  I'm stymied.

Shel_B

Shel_B

I have tried making this recipe (with whole milk) a couple of times, and neither time did the pudding set.  However, I did a couple of things differently:  I added two vanilla beans to the milk while it was heating and I cooked the mixture in a double boiler (bowl placed over a Dutch oven).  The mixture was, as noted in the video, mayonnaise-like in it's consistency when removed from the heat at which point I added the butter and a teaspoon+ of vanilla extract for a little flavor boost.  I then strained and transferred the pudding mixture into a glass bowl that would later be used for serving.

I left the mixture on the counter to cool in the bowl before placing it in the refrigerator.  However, when I returned to the pudding it was no longer thick, but very soupy, like a typical cream soup.  Covering the bowl and refrigerating over night did nothing to firm up the pudding.

What could be causing this problem?  I'm stymied.