• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Land of Fish and Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop - A preview

liuzhou

This is the first book of Dunlop that I have reservations about in terms of my own  cooking.   With fish prominently in the title I am not sure how much emphasis is on recipes using fish. I love fish and would eat it frequently but I have no good source of fresh fish easily at hand. From the preview it is obvious that not all of the recipes are based on fish so I may  succumb anyway.  Thank you very much for posting the link.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 months later...

@Chris Hennes

Just mentioned to a friend in the last day or so that I had not seen you active for some time.   Anxiously awaiting your interaction with the book.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just picked up my local library's copy.

leafing through it , Id say this is not an exclusive fish cookbook.  

pp 5 :  " in this book Id like to take you on a journey to China's beautiful Lower Yangtze region ...

it seems to have the usual number of Meat , Chicken , Vegetable and noodle Rx's as most cookbooks do.

in the index ' Fish ' gets 17 - 18 , 130 - 52.

Chicken gets 21 entries counting 2 for chicken livers.

duck : get 8 counting 3 for duck eggs.

Eggs :  17

Pork : 44   with a ref see salt pork  ( 7 Rx's )  also under Pork are  ' Black " char sou " pork '   and everyday pork dumplings

nothing in the index under ' Squid '

Stir-Fry :  31.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Land of Fish and Rice has been indexed on Eat Your Books so it's possible to look through the recipes over there.  Just click on the "Recipes" tab to pull up the list.

You can't actually look through the recipes. You can see a list of contents. That's all.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

You can't actually look through the recipes. You can see a list of contents. That's all.

Thanks for clarifying, I should have said that you can look through a list of the all the recipes, including the ingredients (except for common pantry items) for each one.  So it goes a little beyond a table of contents but the actual recipes aren't available there. Sorry I implied otherwise.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...