• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

5 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Our kitchen is sorely lacking in places to put stuff. (Who the heck remodels a kitchen without upper cabinets?)  I've got a 30" range (bog standard american gas range), with nothing above it, and we'd like to put a shelf there.  How high are shelves like that typically mounted?  And what's a standard depth?  I'd like to be able to hang some stuff (pots, or utensils, or both) from it, at least in the back.  

You can put a metal pot rack, as noted by Pastrygirl above the range and many have a "shelf" or metal grid.  Where I live, if there is no exhaust hood, the minimum clearance above a gas cooktop for any cabinet is 48"  - minimum clear space above an electric is 36" 

You should check the CODE in your area because if you have a fire - due to the kitchen range or cooktop, and there is not adequate clearance above the burners, your fire insurance can refuse to pay.  

Overstock has this one on sale.

andiesenji

andiesenji

5 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Our kitchen is sorely lacking in places to put stuff. (Who the heck remodels a kitchen without upper cabinets?)  I've got a 30" range (bog standard american gas range), with nothing above it, and we'd like to put a shelf there.  How high are shelves like that typically mounted?  And what's a standard depth?  I'd like to be able to hang some stuff (pots, or utensils, or both) from it, at least in the back.  

You can put a metal pot rack, as noted by Pastrygirl above the range and many have a "shelf" or metal grid.  Where I live, if there is no exhaust hood, the minimum clearance above a gas cooktop for any cabinet is 48"  - minimum clear space above an electric is 36" 

You should check the CODE in your area because if you have a fire - due to the kitchen range or cooktop, and there is not adequate clearance above the burners, your fire insurance can refuse to pay.