• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MIldly Interesting Kitchen Ideas + My Small Contribution

Porthos

Screenshot 2016-07-16 20.11.46.png

Not a pretty picture by any means - but this is the fridge in my chocolate room - lots of great earth magnets from Lee Valley hold all sorts of stuff on the front of the fridge. Some have hooks, others are just little circles - on the sides there are more - and a magnetic knife strip that holds dozens of little offsets, bone handled knives and Ateco scrapers. 

• Like 3

I realize that in my above post I forgot to mention my husband's favorite reason for the above-the-stove faucet - if you swing it all the way to the right it is in the perfect position to fill the coffee maker that is placed next to the stove. (I am a tea drinker so i don't really appreciate this.)

• Like 4

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Our Coffee maker sits at the edge of the right sink. We have a pull-out style faucet head so we can fill the reservoir easily.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Apologies for the slightly fuzzy nature of the pic, but here's the drawers within drawers that I have that are very useful for flat things. Here they corral my collection of foil, clingfilm, ziploc bags and greaseproof paper and the like on the bottom, with placemats on top.

IMG_7112 (640x480).jpg

I'll stick the rest of the kitchen in the kitchen thread proper.

• Like 6

This is a cupboard we had put in shortly after we moved into the place.  I wanted a two section cupboard, one for spices up top and pull out drawers on the bottom.  It matches the rest of the cupboards and i'm pretty happy with it.  If I could change anything,  it would be to have the bars in the upper cupboard replaced with plexi-glass.

20160719_184756.jpg

20160719_184535.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

This is a cupboard we had put in shortly after we moved into the place.  I wanted a two section cupboard, one for spices up top and pull out drawers on the bottom.  It matches the rest of the cupboards and i'm pretty happy with it.  If I could change anything,  it would be to have the bars in the upper cupboard replaced with plexi-glass.

20160719_184756.jpg

20160719_184535.jpg

That's VERY nice! I love it.

Being that I'm the world's most disorganized person — I wouldn't know how to act if I had something like that! :huh:

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We've got one of those drawers within drawers @Tere. It's also houses the rubbish bins - the second was originally to be for recyclables, but we need something larger (hic)...so it now holds plastic bags. There's a handy shelf for stuff too.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 5

Ooh I love ElsieD's cupboard!

The one thing I wish I had considered more in the pantry unit was visibility - I cope by mostly having stores of jams and chutneys and my store of sugar for jam and wine making in the top section, making lucky dip less of an issue. I can see everything else even if I have to stand on a mini stepladder for the upper sections, which also contain backup sauces, tins and rarely accessed replacement stuff. Plexiglass would have been better but I don't know how the fitters would have coped with it and I didn't want to bring another supplier into the mix! We were supposed to have mesh Hafele fittings which would have been ideal, but they screwed up the cupboard measurements and made the wooden drawers for the cost of the Hafele units as compensation.