• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

2 hours ago, Deryn said:

(a bit silly I know but I am really going nuts right now trying to figure out how to both keep all my small appliances - particularly the heavy/large ones for which I have no real storage and/or which are very hard to keep moving around - out and yet 'neat' and 'available' without too much fuss.)

I recall a thread here where fat Guy discussed using shower caps to cover small appliances to keep the dust and grease film off. I have been playing around with the concept and found two possible solutions, depending on the appliance. I found these shower cap-like cover ups at Smart & Final called CoverMate Stretch To Fit Food Covers, they are relatively small. There are also large bags like the Space Saver bags, ignore the whole vacuum sealing part, think of them as large sturdy plastic bags, I have seen packs of these at Big Lots, really cheap -like a 4 pack for under $6. I am also working on adapting blanket bags -search amazon, the amazon link isn't working for me right now. I think you could just measure, order, then cut one side off and they would rest on the appliance and protect it. Might not be very attractive, but would eliminate a lot of scrubbing. I wind up washing everything weekly, whether I used it or not, and I am tired of it.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

2 hours ago, Deryn said:

(a bit silly I know but I am really going nuts right now trying to figure out how to both keep all my small appliances - particularly the heavy/large ones for which I have no real storage and/or which are very hard to keep moving around - out and yet 'neat' and 'available' without too much fuss.)

I recall a thread here where fat Guy discussed using shower caps to cover small appliances to keep the dust and grease film off. I have been playing around with the concept and found two possible solutions, depending on the appliance. I found THESEir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B005FDMJV at Smart & Final, they are relatively small. There are also large bags like the Space Saver bags, ignore the whole vacuum sealing part, think of them as large sturdy plastic bags, I have seen packs of these at Big Lots, really cheap -like a 4 pack for under $6. I am also working on adapting blanket bagsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001L72CN. I think you could just measure, order, then cut one side off and they would rest on the appliance and protect it. Might not be very attractive, but would eliminate a lot of scrubbing. I wind up washing everything weekly, whether I used it or not, and I am tired of it.