• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blast chillers

mendonoma

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

See my comment above about licking flagpoles.  Or maybe that is just an American thing.

I meant a light kiss on the forehead, not a French kiss.

Teo

• Haha 3

Teo

• 2 weeks later...

A small problem with the BF100.  Unlike the higher end Frysta freezers, BF200 and BF 300, the BF100 does not have a heated probe.  This means your -30C ice cream is solidly tethered to freezer until summer comes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:28 PM, dtremit said:

I think there's something up with their wattage ratings. I found a manual for three available models of Vesta (with a 4kg, 7kg, and 14kg capacity); the 240v wattages are 285W, 400W, and 450W, but the 120v wattages for the same models are listed as 210W, 280W, and 250W. That's...not possible.

(Really love the Irinox chamber vacuum drawer...but the price is even harder to swallow for that.)

I finally got around to attaching the Kill A Watt and measuring the Vesta's wattage.  With the unit turned on and just the LED's illuminated there is no measurable power draw.  When the compressor kicks in the power goes up to 250 watts, dropping quickly to about 180 watts.  Power stays at about 180 watts until the unit reaches temperature, at which time the compressor cycles off and the power drops to 18 watts (which I assume is the fan).  When the compressor again cycles on the power goes back up to 250 watts dropping to 180 watts.

• 1 month later...

I have an Irinox Freddy...have finally installed a plug to be able to use it four months ago. I enjoy it greatly, but the display is a pain - pictures of the display on the newer model seem to make much more sense. User resources available are very limited, still at a loss as to how to do maintenance cleaning on it...

I lucked out when I bought mine - I contacted them to inquire about warranty work in my area, they forwarded my question to a higher up in their distribution center in CA who offered a promo code because they had a lot in stock at the time. Kinda wish I waited for the newer model, but at that price the older one worked out very well :)

Edited by SweetSymphonybyM (log)

28 minutes ago, SweetSymphonybyM said:

I have an Irinox Freddy...have finally installed a plug to be able to use it four months ago. I enjoy it greatly, but the display is a pain - pictures of the display on the newer model seem to make much more sense. User resources available are very limited, still at a loss as to how to do maintenance cleaning on it...

I lucked out when I bought mine - I contacted them to inquire about warranty work in my area, they forwarded my question to a higher up in their distribution center in CA who offered a promo code because they had a lot in stock at the time. Kinda wish I waited for the newer model, but at that price the older one worked out very well :)

Do you have a link to your model?  I'm pretty well set for blast freezers for the foreseeable future, but I'd like to take a look at yours.

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have a link to your model?  I'm pretty well set for blast freezers for the foreseeable future, but I'd like to take a look at yours.

Not sure of the exact model number, they have pictures of it with different display styles on their website - mine is the one with a square display with three circles on each side. https://irinoxhomeusa.com/products

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SweetSymphonybyM said:

Not sure of the exact model number, they have pictures of it with different display styles on their website - mine is the one with a square display with three circles on each side. https://irinoxhomeusa.com/products

And I actually spoke with their San Francisco location/distribution center just now - they are out of the older models of Freddy  (they are expecting approval to sell the new version in the U.S. beginning of 2021).  For those interested in a chamber vacuum seal drawer - they still have some ZEROs left in two sizes. 

3 hours ago, SweetSymphonybyM said:

How cold will Freddy go?  I could not find it in the specs.

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How cold will Freddy go?  I could not find it in the specs.

Ummm...I'm not sure how low it goes to shock freeze, but the instruction manual says it freezes the product to 0F and "upon termination of the cycle, the preservation phase at -4F automatically begins"

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My Vesta came without pans but the company promptly sent me at no cost an unnamed half sized hotel pan that fit just fine.  But the Vesta has two shelves.  I ordered a Vollrath half size Super Pan 3 that fit the rails.  Unfortunately this pan was too deep to use in the lower shelf of the Vesta, however it works in the upper shelf.

I also ordered a couple Vollrath Super Pan V wire racks.  These racks are beautifully substantial but they don't fit in either the Vesta supplied hotel pan or in the Vollrath.  Finding a good deal I recently purchased three Vollrath Super Pan V pans.  The racks fit perfectly in the pans but the pans don't quite fit the Vesta.

The Super Pan V pans and racks make excellent roasting pans if you happen to have an an Anova Precision Oven.  But they don't fit the Vesta.  May this information be helpful to someone.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

One problem with the Vesta is it does not recover from a power failure.  Ask me how I know.  At least it makes it easy to decide what's for dinner.

Our power last night was only out for about five minutes.  The UPS's held up the computers and the network equipment.  But a Diesel generator for the blast freezer is impractical in a one bedroom apartment.

Anyone use alarms on their freezers?  Possibly the most practical solution would be a sticky note on my night table.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fadax said:

Hello guys,
I have a question, does the temperature probe only indicate the temperature of the food or does it also control the device?

Thanks.

The probe controls the device.  The display/control temperature can be set either to the cabinet temperature or to the probe temperature.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The probe controls the device.  The display/control temperature can be set either to the cabinet temperature or to the probe temperature.

thanks for the reply,

I received the BF100 today and I'm doing some tests but I can't figure out how to set the probe to work, this is what I did:

Inside I put a plastic container with hot water at 60 degrees C and I inserted the probe.

I pressed the probe button
I pressed the SET button and set 3 degrees C
I pressed SET again and set 1:30 hour
I pressed the "start" button
After 2 minutes it started.
At this point the display showed the probe temperature and by pressing the probe button the temperature switched to the temperature inside the device and indicated 3 degrees C (the ones I had previously set).
This makes me think that the degrees set in SET are those internal in the device and not those that the probe would like to obtain.
This makes me think that the probe does not control the device but merely measures the temperature and shows it on the display.
Am I wrong in something?

1 hour ago, Fadax said:

thanks for the reply,

I received the BF100 today and I'm doing some tests but I can't figure out how to set the probe to work, this is what I did:

Inside I put a plastic container with hot water at 60 degrees C and I inserted the probe.

I pressed the probe button
I pressed the SET button and set 3 degrees C
I pressed SET again and set 1:30 hour
I pressed the "start" button
After 2 minutes it started.
At this point the display showed the probe temperature and by pressing the probe button the temperature switched to the temperature inside the device and indicated 3 degrees C (the ones I had previously set).
This makes me think that the degrees set in SET are those internal in the device and not those that the probe would like to obtain.
This makes me think that the probe does not control the device but merely measures the temperature and shows it on the display.
Am I wrong in something?

You don't mention pressing the Hard Blast Freezing button (the one that looks like a snowflake).  From the manual (page 8 in mine):  "This mode will run until the food probe reaches the desired temperature.  If this option is not enabled, then the unit will run until the temperature inside the cabinet reaches the desired temperature."

Check with Vesta.  They have, or at least used to have, responsive tech support.  Which reminds me, I need to ask them if it is possible to replace my broken probe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You don't mention pressing the Hard Blast Freezing button (the one that looks like a snowflake).  From the manual (page 8 in mine):  "This mode will run until the food probe reaches the desired temperature.  If this option is not enabled, then the unit will run until the temperature inside the cabinet reaches the desired temperature."

Check with Vesta.  They have, or at least used to have, responsive tech support.  Which reminds me, I need to ask them if it is possible to replace my broken probe.

I recite this reply from Vesta tech support :

The probe only shows the temperature of the item and does not perform any other action than that level of monitoring.

the temperature probes only monitors the temperature inside the object. It is the mechanism used to determine the item has reached the desired temperature inside – which is crucial as the cabinet temperature will reach the desired temperature before that point. This monitoring allows you to know with all certainty the item is at that temperature inside and not potentially unchilled or unfrozen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful what you wish for.

Somewhile back I broke the probe of my BF100 trying to get it out of a batch of ice cream.  I am approaching the end of my unit's warranty so I thought I should contact customer support to see about getting a new probe.  Turns out that unlike the BF200 and BF300, the probe of the BF100 is not user replaceable.  The customer service rep asked for a picture.  I sent a picture.  Next thing I knew I received a FedEx shipping notice.  Vesta is shipping a whole new freezer.

That's excellent customer support of course but a nightmare for me.  It was almost impossible to get the first freezer upstairs, and now not only do I have to repeat that, but I have to find a way to repack the old freezer and ship it back to them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

...That's excellent customer support of course but a nightmare for me.  It was almost impossible to get the first freezer upstairs, and now not only do I have to repeat that, but I have to find a way to repack the old freezer and ship it back to them.

Can you use the box the new freezer arrives in to ship your old one back? I realize the weight of the freezer is an issue in just achieving this swap out. Too bad they don't have a Uber-type firm you can hire for packing and shipping stuff.:(

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

Can you use the box the new freezer arrives in to ship your old one back? I realize the weight of the freezer is an issue in just achieving this swap out. Too bad they don't have a Uber-type firm you can hire for packing and shipping stuff.:(

There's a company called Dolly, who provide muscle for hire.  I've used them move radiators from one floor to another, and to have some furniture moved from one location to another.  Don't know if they're where @JoNorvelleWalker is, or not, though. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

Using the new box to ship back the old freezer is what Vesta said to do.  Thing is, after I unpacked the original freezer the box was more or less like confetti.  I can't foresee a different outcome this time.

3 hours ago, dscheidt said:

There's a company called Dolly, who provide muscle for hire.  I've used them move radiators from one floor to another, and to have some furniture moved from one location to another.  Don't know if they're where @JoNorvelleWalker is, or not, though. 

I'm thinking of hiring son and grandson but the cost may be more than what I can afford.  Why, O why did I ever complain about the broken probe!

UPS said the freezer was out for delivery.  I had kind son lined up to help.  UPS just changed the delivery to the 16th.  I guess I'll just have to chill.

• Haha 3