• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blast chillers

mendonoma

On 4/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, StumptownGeek said:

My Vesta Frysta Blast Chiller has arrived.

It might be a tiny blast chiller but it's not actually small...

For Jo, and others that might have ordered, you can cut around the base for removal:

Mine is now in place down in my basement but not yet exercised/tested:

479353906_CurrentLocation.jpg.f721a9979a23f8f9938989ce7d2529c8.jpg

It didn't arrive with any interior shelves:

280763683_InteriorNoShelves.jpg.222638c849153cea04dc7764398a5f93.jpg

blast freezer looks good. i respect and like you more for owning one. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have not seen a corporate video, and maybe don't want to, but what about the company made you ill?

I don't know anything about the company, Jo, or their products but they do look interesting, that's why i asked.

So I nosed towards About Us and found the video there, if it doesn't twang your acid reflux, you have a higher tolerance for corporate bilge than me.

1 hour ago, adey73 said:

I don't know anything about the company, Jo, or their products but they do look interesting, that's why i asked.

So I nosed towards About Us and found the video there, if it doesn't twang your acid reflux, you have a higher tolerance for corporate bilge than me.

Was the video called Vesta Story?  If so, I once had a small tech manufacturing company myself.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

found the manual :

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0090/4665/5081/files/BF100_200_300_Manual.pdf?4077

but they have none in stock 

I asked and I was told just now that they have stock of the Frysta.  Also the units were supposed to have shipped with shelves.  They are sending me a shelf.

Now if I only had a Pacojet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

Soooo  

now that your carted your unit upstairs 

what are you going to do with it ?

looking forward to your experimental analysis 

why

maybe next spring .....

As we speak I am blast chilling a batch of soup...the compressor is loud.

I know I said I would measure the wattage, but the outlet is underneath a desk and I doubt the measurement will happen soon.

I should clarify, to my ear the sound of the Vesta compressor is not at all unpleasant.  Reminds me of my bedroom white noise machine.  The problem is the Vesta cycles on and off.  And when the compressor cycles on the lamp plugged into the same outlet dims.

After I blast chilled the batch of soup I decided to blast freeze two of the containers.  Because I could.  I may be making soup more often.  My next blast freezer project depends on the logistics of obtaining cream.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

How did it perform?

No complaints.  I suggest silicone gloves unless you like licking flagpoles.

• Haha 1

Think about the amount of money you are saving during this lockdown: instead of going to Montecarlo as usual, now you can buy a blast chiller and a Pacojet.

Teo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Teo

7 hours ago, teonzo said:

Within 3 months this "maybe" will become "surely".

Teo

At the moment they are 25 percent off.

I tried to Google search this yesterday but couldn't locate a good result in a reasonable amount of searching. I suspect that the crowd here will know the answer. If one were to use the blast chiller to rapidly freeze an item for storage, can it them be stored in a traditional home self-defrosting freezer and retain the quick freeze benefit of the blast chiller (smaller crystals, less detrimental impact from freezing)?

How long does the unit take to chill itself? Do you need to leave it plugged in at all times to be practical or can you just chill it a bit ahead of time when you know you want to use it?

The production units pictured above do look better than the pre-production units that had been pictured on the web site.

Edited by EMichels (log)

7 minutes ago, EMichels said:

I tried to Google search this yesterday but couldn't locate a good result in a reasonable amount of searching. I suspect that the crowd here will know the answer. If one were to use the blast chiller to rapidly freeze an item for storage, can it them be stored in a traditional home self-defrosting freezer and retain the quick freeze benefit of the blast chiller (smaller crystals, less detrimental impact from freezing)?

How long does the unit take to chill itself? Do you need to leave it plugged in at all times to be practical or can you just chill it a bit ahead of time when you know you want to use it?

The production units pictured above do look better than the pre-production units that had been pictured on the web site.

Just turn it on a bit before you want to use it.

@StumptownGeek have you started playing yet?  There are a couple things I haven't figured out.  My display is in Fahrenheit and I'd like to change it to Celsius, but the procedure in the manual does not work for me.  Also pressing the start button doesn't seem to do anything besides turning on a little light (the one that looks like a snowflake).  Pressing start is supposed to start chilling but the temperature never goes down.  I have to press blast.  And then the temperature goes down rather quickly.

14 hours ago, EMichels said:

If one were to use the blast chiller to rapidly freeze an item for storage, can it them be stored in a traditional home self-defrosting freezer and retain the quick freeze benefit of the blast chiller (smaller crystals, less detrimental impact from freezing)?

Yup, that's how things work. The blast chiller is for forming small crystals, then you store your food in a standard freezer.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

@teonzo 

if Im here next spring , and fully vaccinated 

and I get the 25 % off then  

maybe    .  I wonder if you can blast - freeze    SV bags

and the bag doesnt suffer

the manual says to BF  items not in containers 

or I think it said that.

my list for next spring is getting quite long , BTW

18 hours ago, EMichels said:

I imagine that if you kept your blast chilled items in the middle of the self defrosting freezer (not near the walls) and surrounded by other frozen stuff you should be ok.

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@StumptownGeek have you started playing yet?

I won't have a chance to play until Monday.

This weekend I'm running a second branch circuit out to my basement kitchen extension.  Too many gadgets, not enough Amps...

What are you putting food containers on while waiting for the missing shelf?  Just the chiller floor?  Tried any GN1/2 pans?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I wonder if you can blast - freeze    SV bags

and the bag doesnt suffer

Absolutely no problems, done that countless times without troubles, both with solids and liquids.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo